Unlimited access >

Downward transition/contact advice

I recently bought a new mare (12 yr old ottb and former hunter) who was out to pasture for 2 years. She has become a restart project which I know she would be. Although she moves forward well and is a super sweet mare, she doesn’t like to put much weight into the bit and gets fussy when I ask for downward TW or walk stop transitions and sometimes when I ask for contact in the trot.
Just some background on her training she has great ground manners and follows you like a puppy. She also is sensitive to the leg aids but not hot. I have started using side reins while lunging her and that has seemed to improve her tolerance to contact in the trot and she doesn’t have the pulling/fussy issue when asking for the downward transition with them but doesn’t have much contact with them either (the side reins flutter but she stays in self carriage and round through the back if I consistantly ask her to move forward with them). I changed the bit to something softer and added a flash and that seems to have helped a little with her more extreme evasions ie head tossing still tosses head but only when confused or frustrated now, putting tongue over the bit, or gaping mouth.
she will be used for competition in dressage when she is comfortable undersaddle

When were her teeth last done?

Roughly 4 months ago

Her teeth were done roughly 5 months ago. I also had the vet check her teeth during the PPE

Does she have impacted wolf teeth?

No

This one lady bought a young Freison filly as her first ever pet (didnt even own a fish before buying this horse) beautiful mare but so young.

She also would occasionally bring her kids who were at most 8 yrs old and small enough to walk comfortably under my horses belly. I dont really like kids but had to stop them from running around my horse or from walking under his belly. Even though i know my gelding wouldn’t do anything, I didnt wantt there to be outlier

she left the barn because no one would groom ir walk her mare without being paid. We were happy to do it for pretty cheap but she was scared to do it herself and didnt want to pay

Are you asking for advice with what to do undersaddle?
When I started my horse he would constantly jiggle and toss his head and fuss with the bit. Wouldn’t tolerate any contact and was genuinely confused by the concept.
Hesitntly but without any other ideas, I used draw reins correctly) for about a week. That was three years ago and he hasn’t wrestled with the concept since. Just an idea.

Thanks I’ll look into it.

If you’re using a loose ring I would suggest switching to something more fixed like an eggbutt. My horse is much more willing to reach and stay there in an eggbutt and the fact that your horse likes the flash makes me think she may like a steadier bit too.

Another technique I’ve found very helpful from my trainer is trying to think of my own hands as side reins. Basically pick a spot for your hands and the length of rein you want her to stretch into and just commit to it and drive her into it with your leg. Don’t give into the temptation of trying to shorten your reins or move your hands back/forth to modify the contact just expect her to go to it and ask for more push from behind if she isn’t filling up the contact in front. The contact will definitely be sporadic/inconsistent in the beginning but you’re teaching the horse what the expectation is and building trust and an expectation in them that if they do listen and move into the contact you will always be there waiting, in the same place, soft but supportive. If fitness/balance is an issue riding with your hands a bit wider than usual until can also be helpful.

I felt kind of ridiculous using the above techniques at first, because you spend a lot of time with your reins kind of flappy while getting after them, but I now have a horse that isn’t afraid to move into the contact. Now that he actually takes the contact I can actually refine with lateral work and halfhalts and such. He’s also a very forward type horse, who is naturally high headed.

I’d try a happy mouth shaped mullen mouth. Very stable. My tb did what your mare does, and i removed flash, put mullen mouth on, and he very quickly started accepting contact.

I will try this thanks

Are you using any other aids besides your reins to ask for a downward transition?

ETA: How long has she been back in work? I’m curious to know if you’re closer to the beginning of your re-work or if she’s been back to work for say, 6 months, a year, and is fully muscled up with a clear understanding of what you’re asking.

She is at the beginning of her re work as she has only been back to work since November. She was ridden a few times in the 2 years she was off but the work was super inconsistent ie worked then not ridden again for a few months to year. She is very happy to back to work again though

I agree with the suggestion of the happy mouth shaped mullen. I have a TB who loved that bit when he was green. I’ve also had luck with Myler bits for the same reason (more stable in the mouth). Whenever I have a horse that doesn’t want to lean on the bit at all I’ll put them in a myler. I’ve had many horses who liked them a lot more than a traditional “super soft” bit (like a french link snaffle).

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll definitely have to try changing the bit.