Unlimited access >

Draining Hoses..How Does Everyone Do It?

Omg I am dying laughing you guys!!!

Oh my lord. I dealt with a few of these and it drove me absolutely insane. One time the actual hydrant froze and I didnā€™t know since I only use it every 3 or 4 days to do water. So I go to do water and itā€™s frozen solidā€¦

Idiot co boarder: oh yea I noticed that 3 days ago.
Me: and you said nothing?
ICB: well I figured we would just wait for a nice day.
Me: You know the horses donā€™t just need water on nice days right?

I had to miss work that morning waiting for the emergency plumber to come out. I was so pissed.

2 Likes

My Facebook memories from today 13 years ago are on topic:

6 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

I knew I shouldnā€™t comment on this thread. I jinxed myself. Itā€™s been nearly 3 Colorado winters since Iā€™ve had my 270 ft long hose freeze but that streak ended this morning. :sob::weary:

Oh well, I think somebody just drained it too fastā€¦ luckily its going to be in the 60ā€™s and 70ā€™s all week here so not the end of the world!

1 Like

For those who use an air compressor to blow out the hose, at what PSI and for how long? I just tried blowing out 200ft of hose but Iā€™m not convinced the air blew the whole way through - I couldnā€™t feel air coming out the other end. I have a small air compressor so each blast of 50 PSI just lasts a few seconds.

it is not necessarily PSI but air volume that is needed to expel the water in the hose by displacement.

A 3/4 inch diameter hose 200 feet long requires a little less than 5 gallons of air to replace the water in the hose

here is a calculator for different diameter and lengths

https://www.inchcalculator.com/pipe-volume-calculator/

1 Like

If the hose is on a reel, I turn the reel as a ā€œreverse Archimedes screwā€ to drain it.

This is great, thanks!

Every time I see the thread title Iā€™m like: ā€œchupacabra, maybe?ā€

1 Like