Unlimited access >

Dressage prospect: Bunny hops

Another possibility is that the horse has a case of mild bilateral stringhalt. The trot with exaggerated movement toward the belly and the bunny hopping canter are both very consistent with that diagnosis. Many horses can have very serviceable careers with mild stringhalt, OP. All horses have issues. If you aren’t planning on showing, why not give this one a chance…you will know a lot more once you have her calmed and able to be evaluated by a vet.

honestly, though, I am surprised they would adopt 6 mustangs to one beginner. That is more than a full time job right there. Why don’t you start with just one or two?

6 Likes

Mustang just means feral horse. The conformation, ability, and type vary widely depending on what horses have joined that particular herd over the centuries. Some mustang populations have a lot of draft blood, others have TB blood from the old cavalry remount days, and there are some isolated populations like the Kiger in Oregon that appear to still retain Iberian characteristics.

Feral horses do seem to self select for efficient body types and to breed down to a practical 14 hands or so over time. In general big gaits are not an efficient use of energy. Obviously gowing up on the range makes for a canny and sure footed horse though I expect years in a holding pen would not be good.

I had a feral horse as a kid. She came in from a roundup on an Indian reserves in another province to a dude string in my suburb, where I bought her well broke but very unschooled. She was a completely fantastic all around kid’s horse, brilliant trail horse, could go go go all day ( I also fed her a gallon of sweet feed every night. It was a long time ago). She had good functional confirmation for a small horse, and was cute. Some of her herd mates though we’re butt ugly.

So I don’t scorn mustangs in general. But you can’t say with certainty anything about the potential of mustangs in general because they come from very different populations.

On the other hand I have been on my own dressage journey for the past decade with a big Paint who is athletic, uphill, smart, and has a great canter. And she can passage. Once a year she will passage for about 4 minutes when she is let loose on her vacation field and sees her old herd for the first time. There is no way any one will ever get that out of her under saddle. It took her a long time to get balanced in lateral movements in hand. She came to me with a sewing machine trot and after several years would do a decent working trot that tracks up, but the amount of work that took would have resulted in a more dressage talented horse doing a true extended trot.

Anyhow I say all this to make the point that while every horse will benefit from dressage training but the physical limits will become apparent sooner rather than later. I watch my coach’s Iberian cross horses and they are so much better adapted to dressage, they can naturally do lateral movements as soon as they figure out what you want, it’s just built in.

And gaits good or bad in a video where the horse is super excited do not tell you much.

However, OP tells us she has a herd already and a farm, and is just interested in experimenting so the stakes are much lower than if this was a one horse owner paying board.

I would just caution that taking on an unhandled feral horse is not what I’d consider a physically low risk activity for a rider in their 60s wanting to slow down a little (considerations I personally also face) so I hope OP has some good help IRL with the initial backing and breaking.

5 Likes

Looks stressed out and worried in the pen - it’s not fair to judge a horses movement based on just that short clip. Overall looks like a cutie who could turn out to be a great prospect. If you have the time and facilities to take her on and keep her for life if it doesn’t work out, why not?!

4 Likes

Well, i am a dressage beginner. i’m not a horse beginner. nor even a wild-horse beginner. i haven’t adopted a mustang in a few years, but i have gentled and trained a couple…one was my main mount for 12 years. Have one i’m training to drive right now also (though not directly come from BLM)…he’s a Standardbred (or looks exactly like one, and he paces)…born feral and captured from stripmine KY mtns.

NOT that it’s anyone’s business…but what the heck. i adopted six because i feel that we have room for 24 horses as things currently stand. With more room for horses available as our existing animals pass away. (we are no longer breeding our Icelandic sheep and our Highland cattle…nor do we sell them, nor do we eat them…which is basically why we don’t sell them, because eventually, anyone who would buy them from us would probably eat them. lol). I have two large barns, hundreds of acres perimeter fenced and cross fenced. We grow our own hay…etc. so…really, i’m used to caring for a whole lot of animals.

11 Likes

Like has been said, it’s hard to tell from the video. Your coach is certainly right that bunny hopping could signify physical issues; however, it could also be excitement/ tension from the horse in that moment. Bunny hopping in the canter was one of the initial signs that my dressage horse had ligament damage before the vet found the issue.

1 Like

I see a mare who’s very stressed, kind of cute, and in deep footing.

As I watched (and this video is not nearly enough to tell much about her), I saw a few moments of suspension, which were nice. I also saw a few moments where that left hind looked NQR to me - which could be anything. Could be deep footing; could be stress combined with fatigue and soreness from being cooped up too long. Could be she’d recently been kicked and was sore. Could be she pulled a muscle. Could be an old hip fracture. Could be absolutely nothing.

Until she’s on firmer ground and in a larger pen where she can really move and stretch, it’s hard to evaluate if she’s sound or not, truthfully, or what her gaits are truly like.

2 Likes

i do. i’ll gentle, i’ll do groundwork until they’re solid (can trailer, farrier, flyspray and grounddrive in a lot of cases. Then she’ll back and 30 days…then i take them back green and ride here on the farm a few months before starting lessons with them. or at least, that’s the plan LOL… and my green-trainer, She’s onboard with my mustangs…even helped me eval them.

Dressage coach is brand new. I had to kiss a lot of frogs before i found her. Have not begun lessons yet (i’m social distancing big-time!) so maybe in a month or two.

low risk is relative! and i’m …transitioning. lol.

btw: i deeply respect your journey with your big paint. honestly, i do!

2 Likes

No way to know from that video. That kind of gait could signal major issues, or it could completely disappear when the stress/tension go away.

Maybe next time the coach would be willing to watch the videos with you and help you make a selection.

1 Like

Confusion is easy…back in March you had 14 equines, now you have 10?

It doesn’t matter how many you have, just makes me have questions, and I have lots of questions!

1 Like

Taking on 6 mustangs at once is a lot! I just think of the hours a week I need to (and am), putting into my mare. It takes a lot to make a solid citizen. Six would be just too much for me. Heck, two are too much until they are further along in their training and they don’t need that daily hands on, at least to me. But, I also have a full time job and kids, so I’m at a different point in my life. I have to work my horse time around my daily activities. Good luck OP, can’t wait to watch her progress.

And other posters…it looks like she will have 6 to pick from, not just this mare. OP do you have any links to the others?

2 Likes

Interesting about the Paint.

I wasn’t sure how much I was progressing. But when I finally got to ride my coach’s school master Andie cross mare, it turned out I could ride dressage just fine and do every fancy move that horse knew. I had learned alot with the Paint

But I have my eye on an Andy cross for my next project!!

The years of basic dressage have made Paint into a forward responsive horse on the trails (she’s rather ring sour though) and we are currently having a blast in the big outdoors.

2 Likes

lol guys. If there are insults being tossed, they went way over my head. didn’t get miffed or discouraged.

What really threw me for a loop was this new coach telling me that what SHE saw in the video was seriously compromised physicality. Compared to what i see, which is extraordinary coordination. I came running here to see what the hivemind thought about her movement, specifically her bunny hop canter.

I actually, honestly felt that this little mare moved exceptionally well in the video. I’m small (5/0) and lightweight and really athletic. and i felt she and i would be a really good physical match. I can visualize us. i see it in my mind.

you guys were ALL great, and i really do appreciate your attention to my personal little …squall. (y’all have talked me down from the ledge quite adequately)

So, since i’m getting this little mare regardless…i’ll check back in in a few months and give you a follow-up on her.

8 Likes

I began the year with 10 horses. in January i adopted thee from BLM at their online auction. In February another, again from their online auction…then march two more. so now, actually, there are 16. Though still only 10 here now. and 6 incoming.

what else do you want to know?

2 Likes

https://wildhorsesonline.blm.gov/animals/07025081

Yes, here is one of the other mustangs i adopted, hopefully to take lessons aboard. I see lovely movement i see a horse confident in his own body. Normally prefer mares, but something about him touched me. So, he’s incoming. Probably not until July. (?? dunno…things are so uncertain these days aren’t they?)

4 Likes

Yes it seems everything is taking longer these days, or being postponed. I was frustrated it took me 5 weeks to get through the adoption paperwork fully with the BLM (not a sale authority horse, she is on BLM contract until I have owned her a year), and I was approved less than a year ago. But, I was pleased they were still pushing adoptions through, and I was able to get my horse here Sunday before last!

Those old ones can be tough, but it can be done. Cute little guy!

1 Like

The mare has some nice suspension in the trot, beyond that it’s hard to say what’s going on with the bunny hop. I worked with a mustang years and years ago who bunny hopped everywhere, it was her preferred gait, but she didn’t do it under saddle. She actually had a lovely canter. She vetted fine, but now decades later I wonder if there was something that we wouldn’t have detected back then that made her more comfortable with the dual back leg push off. It will be interesting to see what she’s like when she’s home and not stressed out in deep footing. Please post updates! I’d love to see all of them.

I dont feel there is anything you can legitimately assess about the canter in this video.

A constrained backed off horse taking four fearful strides is not be evaluated . She does not want to go forward as indeed she knows she is going to stop and reverse.

if a normal horse in training started this magpie gait, I would indeed say you have a problem.

This video would make me concerned about a real physical issue in the hind end, which might be significant for a riding horse (of any discipline) or not. But I wouldn’t draw any final conclusions off of that one video alone. I’m with your coach that some red flags are raised, but you’ll have to see her moving under different circumstances to really see her true movement. I dislike the chase the horse around movement videos in general, but in a tiny space it’s even less valuable.

2 Likes

Gotta add I watched the video and besides for the issue with the backend which I am sure you will investigate, I think the horse is quite cute! I don’t have the upper level dressage eye like some of the other posters, but the mustang seems to have a good length of step and less choppy than most.

He’s a cutie!

I’ve found the one I want (no…I’m not going to get one, but if I was…) #7260 - 3 Year Old Sorrel Gelding Horse.
He seems like a cool customer. I like his trot, and I like the way he just trots over that bridge, no problem. Saw some licking and chewing, and then he’s like “Whatever, I see some hay” at the end. My kind of horse.

OP, it sounds like these mustangs are lucky indeed that you’ve decided to give them such a wonderful home.

2 Likes