Unlimited access >

Dressing my mare

I like doing dress rehearsals with video and/or pics. It has been so helpful to see what colors look good on my horse (and me), how tack looks, how clothes fit, braided, unbraided, different types of braids, and what it all looks like together in good, and bad, moments.
In the end, as long as it fits within the rules, good riding and a clean test are most important. My horse is my form of self expression regardless of any color we’re wearing, but I’m a simple gal so I think the Monopoly guy is classy along with Mr. Peanut. :slight_smile: :smile:

4 Likes

i was happy about my tack. i got some of it for christmas. I came to share being thrilled about dressing up my pretty horse…how FUN it is to do it.

so…about snobbiness, y’all rail against it, but I think you’ll find it’s a pretty universal perception.
Have you ever wondered how the show horse world looks to people outside of it? Sometimes a person is so far IN they can’t see out. Show a pic of someone trail riding and along side a pic of someone in a dressage ring. And then ask folks: “Which of these looks snobby?”

I give up. You win. Dressage is filled with snooty, snobby bitches.

So, why do you want so much to be a part of it?

17 Likes

I am confused… does one of the have to be snobby? Can’t they just both be happy horse people who happen to do different things?

18 Likes

So now we are making judgments against people’s character based on their appearance?

18 Likes

I don’t think most of us are… I think the we is a single poster.

8 Likes

No, because it’s none of my business.

6 Likes

@eightpondfarm your original post said you had a lesson on the 30th where you were going to try out your new grey tack.
I am truly curious how it looked. Can you please share a photo of that test run. I never thought of grey tack, but I ride a chestnut so that would probably not work with my horse.

1 Like

You were happy about your tack you got for Christmas, and you came here to share it and be thrilled about dressing up your pretty mare. All well and good. But then you ignored all the people (lots of whom have actually sat in the judge’s booth) who told you only legal tack matters, turnout does not, and posted this.

This is where the thread started to go off the rails. 1.) when you insisted you knew more about how the judging process worked than, you know, actual judges and 2.) the name calling.

If you would like people to happy for you and your horse in your learning journey (and I think most posters here are totally on board with that), perhaps those are some things you should avoid going forward.

19 Likes

Certainly the accusation that people who have spent years of their lives learning, watching, and getting accredited know so little about dressage that they need to judge you on your camo bridle would be one of those things.

11 Likes

FWIW, I used to show at a schooling show series in the foothills. I took a baby, and rode in my ancient Rex (I’m petite). Last thing on earth I want to use on a greenie is a dressage saddle and this colt did not yet have withers anyway. I wore brown paddocks, gloves, half chaps, and stick, and used peacock irons. I added the dreaded cavesson. Before the bell I heard one of the rustics snigger “that’s a trail riding saddle.”

Patti Schofler was judge. After my salute I thanked her and she remarked, “boy, what I could do with you in a dressage saddle.” Turns out she and my trainer were old friends and we all had a good laugh at the end of the day. Couple of little kids outscored me by a mile,as per usual.

I rode the rest of the series (4 shows) in that get-up and even got a HP of the day (a bottle of wine!) under an L judge who posts on this board (MOR for a hint).

I went to cheer for a friend at a local show. We all kind of knew it would be hopeless but Rome wasn’t built in a day. She was rung out and the judge used the rest of her ride slot to give her some tips. She made a future lunch and lesson date with the judge (Margo Hoagland) and got some wonderful encouragement. Judges want you to succeed.

The only time I’ve seen a judge rip someone a new one (and rip the sheet out of my scribing hands) was at a horse trials. Unlike purely dressage shows, eventing dressage can be somewhat exciting. Anyway, the horse was clearly overfaced, overspurred, and undertrained, and the rider was intent on saving face by putting on a show for her pals. It was horrible, and the judge (FEI ranked) was livid with the animal’s treatment.

16 Likes

Further things I learned today (late to the party as I was busy riding, and working my day job, here in snooty-bitch central Wellington)

1. Telling someone the truth is “mean”;

2. Stating the fact that nobody is making anybody go to a horse show means I have a “problem” with another poster;

I actually couldn’t care less about what breed your horse is or really anything else. I wish nice people nothing but happiness and success. I don’t waste a lot of good energy on people who are insistent that the world is out to get them and everyone but them is stupid. And yes, I have many friends who are professionals and judges and seeing their work reduced to this kind of commentary calling them “snooty bitches” placed in opposition to “decent judges” is offensive.

12 Likes

Dressage and indeed most horse disciplines are highly skilled and technical sports or arts. The techniques differ between disciplines obviously.

When someone is new to a discipline or new to the idea of disciplines in general, it can be really hard to actually see the gradiant in competence between one rider and the next. Why is that transition a 5 and that other one a 8? Because you can’t see the difference yourself, it is all mysterious and therefore you think the judge is subjective and snooty.

I had an interesting experience once. I was the judge’s helper at a breed show, so I sat in the ring 12 hours a day for 2 days. I saw all the inhand, rail, jumping, and trail classes. Some of my friends were competing, or were friends with other competitors, and understandably biased.

One of my younger friends was constantly complaining about the judge’s choices. I tried telling her that in the rail classes that horse was the only one (in a fairly small class) that actually nailed all his transitions and didn’t go off course or buck. It didn’t matter that other horses were better breed standards or had nicer movement or more correct moments. The consistent winner was the one that could actually get around the arena in one piece.

And that was a pretty obvious and simple level compared to a complexity of a dressage test. But here was my young friend convinced the judge was biased and snooty and promoting a wrong standard.

10 Likes

Again, you should try scribing. I have done a lot and seen some competitors come in with Wintec GPs while others had $7K dressage saddles. The judge never commented.

The only time I have ever seen a judge mark down a competitor’s attire was when it was incorrect (no gloves - I am not in the US; your rules/penalties may be different). If you consider this snooty, then it’s also snooty to expect competitors to follow the prescribed test instead of doing whatever they want.

Otherwise, in my experience the only time judges comment on appearance is when something looks particularly good (“wow!” type moments at a stunning horse) or when the poor competitors are covered in mud because it’s raining heavily.

7 Likes

As a long time dressage rider, there are some pretentious, wouldn’t deign to breath the same air as commoners, dressage divas.

However, it’s a small percentage.

I take my small mutt horses, with cobbled together cheap tack (synthetic bridle and saddle), to top clinicians and rated shows. Majority of people there are warm, friendly, helpful, and overall fun people. I’ve met some great new friends at these events.

Anyway, have fun with the new colors and accessories! I always want to do that but can never settle on a color scheme.

8 Likes

I did get a gray biothane with white deerskin padding, stainless hardware. On the ground it’s nice looking…but on my mare it’s waay the wrong color of gray. It’s a bluish light medium gray. I need a warm toned medium to dark gray.

I’ve been requesting leather samples seeking just the right gray and found it. In deerskin… :frowning:

Just asked the biothane folks if they’d be able to cover a thin type of biothane in this beautiful deerskin and waiting to see. Have NO idea what i’d do for reins in this case however lol.

I can’t love this more McGurk. Yikes, what a way to enter a discussion!

3 Likes

I’ve scribed at everything from schooling shows to regional championships - never, ever, ever seen a judge comment on attire or tack, unless it was outright illegal. I am often horrified by saddle fit and poorly adjusted curbs, but even during chit-chat between rides, the judges never mentioned colors or brands of attire or saddlery. If your saddle is sliding, it doesn’t fit. Might need an adjustment.

I did have an L judge at a schooling show tell me she would have to eliminate me because my mare still had on her bell boots. Technically correct… but it was a schooling show. So… it didn’t matter.

I like matchy-matchy and have my own sense of fashion. I’ve had weird haircuts, different hair colors, fun earrings, exotic outfits, etc. I like colored breeches, different colored boots, and I’ve been known to put my bay mares in bright orange matchy-matchy for schooling. I have cognac colored field boots I school in. I have crystals and pearls on my browbands and saddle pads. Everyone has their own sense of taste and you are allowed to exercise your fashion sense however you want on your own time. Dani whatshername - the jumper with the feathers in her hair - she and I have similar tastes, and I think it’s awesome that she has found a way exercise her fashion sense within the jumper ring. But it’s secondary to her riding - girl can RIDE. And that is truly why I respect her.

However. The competitive sport of dressage has rules, and also tradition - which is in some ways deeper and stronger than the written rules. And the conservative nature of the dress and saddlery comes from that tradition. And I think there is something to be said for honoring that, and spotlighting your riding and training, instead of your tack. That’s what should be your focus. I don’t want the judge to know me from Adam (or Eve). I want them to see my test and judge it fairly. The anonymous look of the black jacket, white breeches and black boots helps with that anonymity.

16 Likes

I too like the anonymity. It’s very easy to achieve. Thinking about colors and pushing the envelope actually involves a bit more expense and trial and effort.

7 Likes

I’m pretty boring. I like some color here and there. I have a collection of breeches for sure! But I just can’t justify some purchases over lessons (I need all I can get!) And I’m a little lazy to be honest. I like to be simple because it’s easier lol.

But I have friends that really like to glam it up at home and it’s fun checking out there attire!

As far as biases, in my experience, judges/the dressage commy overall does not care. 95% of the time I’ve felt pretty welcomed on my off breed horses and not high end tack. I’m very passionate and here to learn. I’ve felt people appreciate that more than anything.

I remember once someone complaining after a clinic that they felt the clinician was breed biased against mustangs/jumping saddles. I had to laugh, this clinician definitely worked his way up and had taken a few (really cheap) off breeds to GP. It was clear he wasn’t biased about her horse or her tack. But I could bet he was put off by her attitude. She had a real chip on her shoulder. I really don’t think it was justified imo.

Not everyone has the same taste in tack. But if you go into this sport yearning to learn and develop your horse, most Dressage people are willing to help.

6 Likes