Unlimited access >

Drug-Resistant Ulcers?

In case anyone is still following our saga… today was our 10 month scope. While the pace of progress is glacial, we’re definitely moving in the right direction!

2/3 of the ulcerated area is now scabbing over with little bits of healthy pink mucosa. The remaining third is still very vascular, but a bit less angry than last time.

We’re going to treat for 3 more months before we scope again. We’re dropping the Gastrogard to 1/4 tube per day, since it seems to be of least use. Sticking with 3x Ranitidine. Upping the Relyne GI to 2x/day. Keeping the Aloe Vera Gel at 2x/day. Continuing to feed 10 Tums Ultra before riding or shipping.

Thankfully his only symptom remains occasional teeth grinding. He’s a happy camper, loves to eat, and is training incredibly well :slight_smile: He’ll do his first CDI at Small Tour this summer, and hopefully his first I-2.

1 Like

Excellent :slight_smile: we put Sully on Sulfa antibiotics coming up 2 mths and the change is amazing! Ulceration is drying up and we’ve knocked him down to 10cc of Omeprazole a day and 20 cc of Bethanchol once a day (the reyelne he kept spitting out so we stopped it LOL)! Fingers crossed we both have major healing soon :slight_smile:

Excellent update! :cool:

Try reading this article http://www.thehorse.com/articles/14785/bute-colitis-and-ulcers

what about trying antibiotics along with the gastrogard in case one of the ulcers is infected.

Did your horse continue to improve? What are your thoughts on the Relyne? It was just recommended to me to try for persistent hind gut issues.

[QUOTE=IPEsq;8812528]
Did your horse continue to improve? What are your thoughts on the Relyne? It was just recommended to me to try for persistent hind gut issues.[/QUOTE]

my horse spit the Relyne out, but for others I’ve heard good things about it! (The only stuff he spits out LOL) My dude is still on the Omeprazole and since the sulfa drugs has been doing amazing. Seems like all his ulcers might of been bacterial after all! (Omeprazole is all he’s on now … My pocket book thanks him! And we are using Summitts liquid not ulcerguard anymore) We do a follow up scope in November and if all still looks aok, will try to pull off the Omeprazole … Luckily so far no hind gut issues!

all of this makes me think your guy probably has DGE & some serious hind gut ulcers… was there ever talk about full 24/7 and a roundbale?

it seems counterintuitive, but i had a client who had a very similar saga and every single thing was thrown at this horse to resolve his ulcers - his owners spared NO expense. he had pitted ulcers on his pylorus as well as DGE and hind gut ulcers; everything from UG/GG to Well-Solve was thrown at this horse to help him.

in the long run what worked was bringing him home and putting him out on 24/7 turnout with a bale and just 2 pumps ulsershield AM/PM. rescoped at 3 months and ulcers were almost entirely resolved… after spending $6k+ on ulcer medication for over 2 yrs and scoping…

[QUOTE=eclipse;8813198]
my horse spit the Relyne out, but for others I’ve heard good things about it! (The only stuff he spits out LOL) My dude is still on the Omeprazole and since the sulfa drugs has been doing amazing. Seems like all his ulcers might of been bacterial after all! (Omeprazole is all he’s on now … My pocket book thanks him! And we are using Summitts liquid not ulcerguard anymore) We do a follow up scope in November and if all still looks aok, will try to pull off the Omeprazole … Luckily so far no hind gut issues![/QUOTE]

Did you syringe it in or try mixing it with food or both? My guy is very picky, especially about liquids. But I would think HA solution wouldn’t have much taste?

[QUOTE=IPEsq;8813372]
Did you syringe it in or try mixing it with food or both? My guy is very picky, especially about liquids. But I would think HA solution wouldn’t have much taste?[/QUOTE]

We syringed it in as its more like a gel than a liquid and he’s super picky with his feed and would sniff and refuse to eat if it was mixed in!!! But he hated it and we found we were loosing more than he was taking in and it was super expensive!

Beowolf: my guy is on a round bale but it was the combination of Bethanchol chloride and heavy doses of sulfa drugs that finally got his pyloric ulcers and DGE under control and drying up… They’re something I wouldn’t wish on anyone! Dreadful, horrible things!

Joiedevie99, just wondering how your horse is doing?

Well… he’s doing wonderfully, but he still has ulcers. He did his first CDI this summer, and qualified for US Dressage Finals.

His last scope was in October, and it showed minimal improvement. A few spots of pink that had previously been scabs. Otherwise, no real difference.

We’re sticking with Ranitidine, ReLyne, and Aloe Vera for another 6 months. We tried 3 months of Stomach Happy herbs, but have dropped that now. We’ll scope again around the 2 year anniversary in May.

I know this is an old thread, but my horse is currently on Relyne GI per vet’s recommendation. Good Lord, that stuff is expensive.

I am curious, @joiedevie99 , you mentioned Aloe Vera Gel in your post. Can you tell me what product you are using, and where you get it? I may be interested (cost dependant) on adding it to my current supplementation for Gastric health.

@LuvRedHeads I was buying the George’s Aloe Vera Liquid (Gallon) at my local Mrs. Greens market. Shortly after I last updated this thread, he sprained a high hind suspensory and ended up having surgery in February of 2017- so our focus turned from the ulcers to that.