Unlimited access >

EHV1 Outbreak in Ontario/Quebec/ All over

A virus that kills humans didn’t stop them. We’ll see if they care more about their horses than other people.

15 Likes

Very worried about this. I heard that basically everyone at HITS and WEC essentially go back and forth between shows. Even if their horses are stabled at HITS, they’re at WEC getting food or watching the classes…

2 Likes

All I see so far is they care more about showing than their horses.

4 Likes

And a lot of eventers have been going there too… not good.

HITS, at least the California version, was not exactly proactive or even on the up and up when there were cases at Thermal several years ago. Not sure what sort of protocols NSBA requires. And Florida is, well, Florida.

1 Like

Just got an email

6 Likes

My horse is in Ocala living at a farm, although we also have stalls at both WEC and HITS for the showing horses to stay in. Everyone is at the home farm as of Sun night and are staying home. Ship-ins are no longer allowed at WEC, and no horses coming directly from WEF or HITS will be allowed into stabling either.

But it almost seems better to leave the horses at the shows at the shows instead of shipping them back home all around the country to spread things…

12 Likes

This is the case in my area BigMama1. Things are getting slack to Covid but militant for EHV-1

Yes. In my area everything is shut down.

In PA now. Not good.

FEI updates here:

1 Like

I really appreciate what the FEI is doing but I am worried what WE are not doing here! There is a show series in Ontario starting at the end of April and riders have paid in full last December, with no refund… With this outbreak very close at a barn also registered to the shows… crickets. I have emailed the show organizers… crickets. I want to know how they will deal with this. No answer!
The barn is Acton is raffling some passes for free trailering to shows… It is scary for the other riders who either will risk their money or their horses!!
This is really upsetting…

2 Likes

Agree. I see people trailering in and out of barns like crazy right now too.

More news

And Horseflight has apparently announced that they will continue to fly horses from abroad.

I believe the prizes for the fundraising raffles are donated from various sources, so I would certainly hope that the trailering is not connected to the affected barn.

They’re in quarantine - they wouldn’t be able to show at the Silver Series if they can’t leave the property. Although I suppose it’s “voluntary” quarantine? Not sure if the govt can enforce this type or not. You’re right to be concerned though, and you’d hope that AST would reply to your inquiry that they will not allow horses from ANY affected properties onto the showgrounds unless officially cleared.

Has anybody heard of cases in Guelph/Wellington County? Someone on Facebook posted that there’s been an outbreak but I can’t find any supporting info - nothing from OMAFRA, OAHN, Equine Disease Communication site, my vet, local barns - nothing. My horse is boarded in Wellington County so I would really like to know so I can warn my BO if needed. Possibly the person confused Wellington FLA with Wellington County? I can only hope this is the case. The other possibility I thought is the person is confusing strangles (which has had several cases as I posted earlier) with EHV-1.

This horse had gone up to PA from SC recently (I’m currently in SC and heard the news from a post by the owner), but supposedly it had not been showing anywhere and would not have contracted it here.

Crap :pensive:

The barn in Acton has been in full quarantine since the beginning and continues to be as they battle the outbreak. Raffle prizes are for use at a future date. To suggest the barn has been anything less than responsible is irresponsible.

There are outbreaks of this virus every year, usually in race barns. At the moment with it confined to 2 barns in the GTA and no additional spread, it seems premature to talk about cancelling show series.

5 Likes

According to the owner, the horse had shipped commercially 30 days ago and been on New Bolton property the whole time.

Yes the barn is in QT, but knowing that this barn sold a horse to the barn in Qc and shipped it and the very next day had their first case but did not bother to warn the barn in Qc… which now has several cases and lost 2 horses I believe… So excuse me for doubting of the ethics of some people.
I am not expecting AST to cancel the series but at least to indicate that there will be protections in place for the other riders if this barn shows up ie separate stalls, etc. Cancelling would be unfair to the other riders!
I heard that they have to be free of any positive cases for 3 weeks before being allowed to leave the property or risk heavy fines.
86 horses on the property. Only about 50 stalls so they double up stalls ie some during the day, some at night. I can imagine the stress on the horses when we had very low temperatures… and some horses are in Fl, so where will they go when they come back?

1 Like