Unlimited access >

EHV1 Outbreak in Ontario/Quebec/ All over

Many thanks for the info. Ohana Acres is near where i live, but my horse is 1/2 hour away.

And please be aware the outbreak at Vanbrook in Acton is still ongoing. They are doing everything they can but it’s been a challenge

1 Like

I just saw an update that Shamrock has had 3 more strangles cases develop :frowning:

All of our racehorses got their vacs and strangles done 10 days ago so we will be able to ship in to Woodbine sometime next week.
Hard to believe that people actually have to be told to do this.

2 Likes

Things are stabilizing at Venturing Hills. Over $80K was raised by the community as well as donations of medical supplies, stable supplies, bio-security gear, feed, Haysteamers, etc

4 Likes

So does this mean that basically all of the greater Ottawa area etc is completely shut down in terms of boarding situations? I’m guessing that unless you own your own farm no one will be able to horse shop since you’d have no where to go. Showing and clinics that tend to pick in the spring I guess are going to be all shut down as well.

We aren’t in the Ottawa area, but BO just picked up a new broodmare yesterday. She’s quarantined and he is the only one caring for her. It’s easier for him to change clothes/boots multiple times per day since he lives on the property, vs asking staff to do it. Taking her temp every day.
He sprayed down the whole trailer as well.

I would say that finding board is very difficult. It is a small market, and lack of willingness to take on risk. Practitioners are asked to follow bio-security protocols when they visit between barns. My barn has increased cautionary measures.

Can’t comment on the show situation, but that is also at a low because of COVID. My horse is going nowhere this summer.

I wouldn’t say we are closed down. I would hope people are just being extra careful and have put preventative protocols into place if horses are coming and going.

There’s about three feet of snow on the ground at the moment and shows don’t start until May so there’s still a bit of time.

Like @Dee-Vee my horses won’t be going anywhere this summer, but that’s more to do with COVID.

I think how hard farms are shut down might depend on your discipline. Venturing Hills doesn’t seem to me to be a backyard type stable. :wink: No offence to backyard type stables, I board at one, though at one time they were heavily involved in showing AQHA and Congress and the AQHA World shows were on their schedule.

I think some of the area hunter/jumper stables will be being more cautious right now.

As for the strangles outbreak, since we have STBs at the Ottawa track, I hope anyone bringing horses in from outside are careful, at least the source of that is well known and seems to be quarantined.

The thing is you can lose everything if your barn becomes infected. From the Venturing Hills story, the impact has been enormous, not only with medical bills but labor as well as the emotional toll. It will be quite a journey to recovery but hopefully they will get there.

Fortunately, VH has had the support of the community, but I am not sure the community would be strong enough to sustain another outbreak of that kind in this area. VH is a large facility with many horses of all ages. So hopefully everyone is being smart about this as the risks are high.

Yes and the horses can have very long lasting effects from this virus. They can deal with issues for years to come :frowning:

Are people just not vaccinating anymore? The neurological strain has hit the Ottawa area before but not like Quebec. Is there an outbreak in the Ottawa area here now too?

My understanding is that vaccination does not offer much protection against the neurological form of the disease. Hopefully someone with more vet knowledge can clarify further.

1 Like

I do not have more vet knowledge, but this is the information I have been given also. There is no vaccine that is truly for the neurological form.

Have you guys seen this? Absolutely terrifying.

https://www.worldofshowjumping.com/en/News/FEI-We-are-currently-experiencing-what-is-probably-the-most-serious-EHV-1-outbreak-in-Europe-for-decades.html?fbclid=IwAR0aMhgKHZRfpYTahcP0ROo-tK5krG-2vPTFxjKTisz5AV7hzNcNZiBCHss

Yes me too. I spoke with my vet on Friday.

While the vaccine has protection against the respiratory strain, it does not protect against the neurological. Further, it is not well understood why the respiratory variation morphs into the neurological. She also noted that there are higher cases of the virus seen in horses who have been vaccinated over the years

All of that said, we are going to have a serious chat about vaccines next year.

2 Likes

:frowning: :cry:

Looks like an EHV1 case has been identified in the Ocala area.

2 Likes

Currently on Facebook everyone arguing to keep shows open in Ocala. Extremely dangerous and short sighted.

3 Likes