Unlimited access >

EHV1 Outbreak in Ontario/Quebec/ All over

Some of us here have been following this outbreak closely. Most barns have been very forthcoming about the infections. There are known cases in;

Quebec (close to Ontario border) - Venturing Hills
Niagara
Acton region - Vanbrook Equestrian (they have 86 horses on site)

There is a GoFundMe for Venturing Hills and Vanbrook. I won’t link it due to rules but you can google it.

Everyone must stay diligent in their biosecurity.

1 Like

Equestrian Canada has kindly made these barn signs to share:

1819INDY_ManagingNewVisitingReturningHorses_v01.pdf (25.8 KB) 1819INDY_DiseasePrevention_Equipment_v01.pdf (20.7 KB) 1819INDY_DiseasePrevention_Horses_v01.pdf (21.4 KB) 1819INDY_DiseasePrevention_Horses_White_v01.pdf (18.1 KB) 1819INDY_ProtectYourHorseAwayFromHome_v02[1].pdf (27.0 KB)

1 Like

Oh no. How horrible. Jingles for all the horses and their connections.

1 Like

Jingles!

1 Like

Scary. Jingles

1 Like

I am really scared about this. Feels like our barn is being surrounded by 3 of the known barns. I feel like we are close enough to share professionals (vets, farriers etc) and tack stores. Really hope people will wear fresh clothing into these places. Maybe its the covid fatigue giving me this anxiety though?

Does anyone know how long the virus could potentially live on clothing and shoes?

The one vet in the article said if she goes to this barn, she wont go to any other barns that day. So I’m assuming it lives on many surfaces and only washing will protect you.

Found this link; big yikes about how long it stays around;

Blockquote 4. How long can the virus live outside of the horse’s body? This includes on clothing, footwear, walls, buckets, tack, etc.

The virus can survive up to 7 days in the environment under normal circumstances but can remain alive for a maximum of one month under perfect environmental conditions. The most important measure is to first clean equipment and horse housing areas. (Please note: It is important to wash and rinse surfaces when possible prior to applying disinfectants.) Cleaning first allows for removal or organic material which makes the disinfectants more effective. After cleaning the surface, follow with a disinfection process. The virus is easily killed in the environment by most disinfectants. Conventional disinfectants and detergents are the best. It is important to perform hand hygiene (wash hands with soap and dry thoroughly or use alcohol based hand sanitizer) when moving between horses that are grouped separately to avoid spreading pathogens that may contaminate your hands.

2 Likes

One of the barns is a TB backing/starting barn. Hopefully not being spread to the local tracks.

1 Like

1 Like

Good resource here:

1 Like

Now I am bawling my eyes out. They lost another beloved one today after a hard fight. :cry::cry:

2 Likes

This is terrible.

Eye opening too. Taking a hard look at some things and I live far away.

oh no… :frowning:

The cases in Peel and Niagara are in addition to the ones at Vanbrook in Acton, bringing the Ontario total to 3 affected farms so far. Still just one reported in Quebec, as far as I know.

Wasn’t there a track-related outbreak in Ontario last summer too?

I’m trying to remember what that outbreak was, it was in one or two sheds at Woodbine I think?

The barn in Niagara is Grassie Training Centre. Not outing them - they’ve publicly posted, and I thank them for being forthcoming about the situation. It appears they’ve only had the one case so far.

2 Likes

Oh, also saw a post this morning that there’s a strangles case in a Standardbred racehorse who was trailered from PEI to Ontario last week.

They have isolated the horse at another property (to get it away from the training centre) and are taking precautions, etc. The scary part is that 4 other horses were on the trailer and unloaded at different farms (not race horses) Hopefully this doesn’t cause a wider-spread outbreak:

https://www.agco.ca/blog/horse-racing/feb-2021/report-strangles-case-shamrock-training-centre#:~:text=The%20Alcohol%20and%20Gaming%20Commission,of%20Tuesday%20February%2016%2C%202021.

1 Like