Unlimited access >

EHV1 Outbreak in Ontario/Quebec/ All over

This is so scary, we are in Ontario and at least an hour from the affected facilities, but it really makes you think about best practices and who is coming to and from the barn.
This has to be devastating to the affected farms and owners. I just can’t imagine what they are going through.
Lots of jingles.

In addition to the covid protocols at our barn (ie. one person per horse on the property, no lessons, etc) they have no said no training rides etc from non-boarders. I am glad my BO is taking both virus’ so seriously.

2 Likes

This is so sad to hear and I hope it can be stopped quickly.
I’m also in Ontario, just north of Toronto.
Our boarding barn has strict COVID rules which does help, and everything is spayed down by the clients, but also by the owner at the end of each night. She just added a note and a spray bottle at the door to spray your shoes as well - for anyone entering. She said she would have a foot bath, but with the freezing temps, its not quite possible right now. I’m glad she’s taking it really seriously and she asked me in particular (as I have my own barn and horse at home) to wear different shoes to her barn, just in case. She had the carrot man alarmed when he entered the other day as he was unsure if he could since the note and spray bottle threw him off!

With Covid I don’t know why people would be travelling to barns to see friends anyways. I would hope not at least. Coaches should already follow this protocol for their own farms safety.

There really should be less traffic through barns in general, since the whole pandemic started. Its scary to know this outbreak is closer and closer to my barn. Hearing about the one in Caldeon being just announced. My heart breaks for everyone dealing with this outbreak :frowning:

1 Like

In the case of my barn it isn’t friends visiting but family. Most of our barn is people married with children. Most of our coaches don’t have their own farms.

Wow. Since last spring we have had a no visitors / no family policy at our barn. Boarders and service providers only (vet, farrier, etc). Only exceptions have been clinicians when we could hold clinics outside in the summer. Why would any barn allow family members to visit during Covid?

3 Likes

The only reason I can think of is for safety reasons. At my barn we have scheduled rides due to COVID. As a result I’m often alone on the property. Having a family member like a spouse or parent would be safer in case of an accident or other emergency. But having multiple family members would be unnecessary.

I’m confused. I stated our covid policy is one person per horse? I don’t think anyone is allowing visitors

I think I’m the confused one. I thought you said your barn was allowing family members.

No but we are a very family oriented barn so it sucks to not be able to enjoy family time there. This too shall pass! Our BO is taking the people and horse health seriously. We super appreciate him :slight_smile:

I know. My barn is over an hour away and I miss bringing my husband or one of my daughters for company on the drive

Now Strangles have been reported in the Guelph area :frowning:

Do you have a link to the alert or wherever you found the info? My barn is very close to Guelph.

This is the link I have.

Hmm, this is interesting as well: https://canadianthoroughbred.com/horse-news/horse-vaccination-protocols-woodbine-ehv-halton/

New Vaccination Protocols at Woodbine for all entering the backstretch:

All horses entering to race or train at Woodbine must have the following up to date:

EHV-1 vaccines will be administered to a horse no less than 14 days and no longer than 90 days from entry date to Woodbine.

Rhino/Flu shots must be up to date along with any recommended booster shots throughout the season.

Coggins Test must be up to date. Coggins Test are valid for 1 year and must be renewed prior to expiration date.

A veterinary inspection letter shall accompany all horses entering from out of province and country.

The veterinary inspection letter should include the following:

The horse(s) listed on this certificate of veterinary Inspection:

Has/have not originated nor have come from a barn with a confirmed or suspected case of EHV-1, strangles or any other diseases in the last 30 days.

Or been febrile within the previous 3 weeks.

Must include the horse’s latest temperature recorded on the letter, by the signing veterinarian.

Must include the date of the horse’s EHV-1 vaccine including the name of the administered vaccination product.

I’m not well versed enough to interpret but this may be a good guideline if new horses or sales horses are coming into a barn?

2 Likes

Thanks - this is the same link I posted earlier so good to know it’s not another new case :slight_smile:

That is terrific! Let’s hope that the smaller tracks start to implement a similar policy. I know a lot of the “little” Standardbred guys will not be happy about it, but oh well, I know of a few that just don’t vaccinate, period.

1 Like

Yes I’ve heard about it as well. I believe the outbreak in Quebec has been contained. Everyone is panicking. Great timing. I’ve spent over a year searching for another horse with lots of disappointments and tears. I finally find a horse and now no one will take me. I will lose the horse.

I live in southwest caledon and have only seen reference to the barn in Peel region. I did a search, but nothing came up. By chance, have either a link or PM if you know and would not mind sharing the name of the barn. Thank you.

For the strangles case, the farm is Shamrock Training Centre in Cambridge, ON.

I believe Ohana Acres is the barn in Peel dealing with EHV-1