Unlimited access >

"Elite" Hanoverian Mare on Charlotte, NC Craigslist

lovely mare… it makes me sad she is being offered “for the show pen” especially since she seems to have arthritis? … she deserves a nice cushy home with a loving owner.

Nice horse. Hope she finds a good home.

Nice older mare hope she finds a good home she still has a lot to offer…

I know this mare very well. I have her son, Prince Hopeful, who is by Prince Optimus. For Hope was bred by Lucile and is an Elite mare. Prince Hopeful is her only offspring that survived. She aborted two other foals that I know of and then had trouble getting pregnant after that. That might not have been her fault, very possibly was due to the management. She was “given” to a worker at the barn many years ago, who is now trying to sell her. She is a VERY sweet mare with a lovely disposition and good basic movement, but she has been lame for a very long time. The lamenesses were never treated, so who knows if you could make her more comfortable, even now. If she could have healthy foals, I would highly recommend her as a broodmare. She has not been well ridden in many years, but she was lovely to ride - very forward and sensitive but never naughty. This mare deserves to have a happy home, and I hope there is someone out there who will rescue her!

That is such a sad story, Eliza. I hope this mare lands softly.

1 Like

Wow she’s nice! I sent a link to my friend in NC who breeds chestnut Hano mares :slight_smile:

Here’s the FB page of the girl who’s selling her:

http://www.facebook.com/ariana.wissick

OMG! She used to work for me. Very nice girl with good intentions but not at all experienced with warmblood breeding, english riding, etc. She assisted at a therapeutic riding program and did some trail riding. It would be great if someone can go get her.

Ariana doesn’t own the mare. She’s helping the owner sell her, from what I’ve been told.

Not necessarily branded. My Elite Mare is not branded because she was hurt as a weanling and yearling. The AHS only carries “foal” brands with them to the inspections. After that age, you can’t get them branded at an inspection.

My client’s elite mare isn’t branded either.

Anyone hear anything about the mare? I sent a message directing them towards the fb warmblood broodmare pages but never heard back… Hope that means she found a fantastic home!

I’m aware this thread is over two years old now BUT I owned this mare and sold her just this year! I bought her from a young girl out in Raeford who just found she was too much for her. She did always walk in that very “collected” frame someone mentioned but we were working on stretching down into a lovely free walk before I sold her. She was also completely sound. We were doing some jumping as well which she really enjoyed! For anyone who is wondering she landed in a wonderful home. She was a sweet, sensitive thing who taught me a lot, and I know she’ll spend the rest of her days well loved!

Branding may have been mandatory ages ago, but I never had my colt branded as a weanling in 2000. He is a purebred, DNA typed, and registered with the AHS. Took him to an inspection with Dr. Ludwig Christmann.

Don’t judge a horse as being registered or not if it doesn’t have a brand.

Thanks for the update - always good to hear a happy ending.

Wow, I was searching something else, actually on hanovarian bloodlines randomly and stumbled on this thread which disconcertingly is largely about me. Can’t believe it’s been eight years! Wow! Time flies fast when you’re having fun….or something like that. Was torn about chiming in after so much time and many of the commentators will probably not even see it but decided to anyways.

I did not write the Charlotte Craigslist add but I did write some of the other adds. If it talked about lameness it was me.

The owner I was selling Hope for was a first time horse owner with little to no experience. I had a work trade board spot at the theraputic riding center where I was a live in care taker for a few years. I offered to board Hope there for free and ride her as well as offer better space for her to be available to perspective buyers than the cow field she had been living in for a commission. After 10 months of free board and struggling to sell Hope because of the complications with her mystery lameness that her owner was unwilling and unable to spend money on diagnosing the owner was becoming frustrated that she wasn’t selling and had a new horse acquaintance that I believe was a western pleasure rider and flipped horses post the add on Craigslist. The woman had never even met Hope let alone ridden her. Someone of course pounced and came out and of course fell in love with Hope upon meeting her. But I hadn’t felt it right to misrepresent or not be entirely forthcoming about all of the things we were dealing with in my adds. No good deed goes unpunished I guess. The person whose name escapes me was a knowledgeable and good barn owner and trainer and bargained well. The owner and I had a disagreement then over who sold Hope, the girl who had put up the one add and never met Hope or me who had boarded her for ten months, had experts evaluate her, paid out of pocket for websites to post the add, and done the test ride for the eventual buyers. In the end I lost my commission but Hope got a good home so at least it ended happy.

As for other pieces, I quite consider myself an English rider as I’ve been taking lessons in English since I was 4; was a five year student of Christan Trainor and four year student of Annie Nienaber competing in eventing and combined training and even got to take a few lessons with you Eliza when you very generously helped me start my four year old. Laurie, all those times I was riding from Mary Ann’s across the road to Tom and Vicki’s was for lessons with Christan or practice in the stadium ring. Can’t stand western saddles with my short thigh bones, feels like I’m sitting on a table and I can’t even reach the stirrups in most of them with those fenders. True, I grew up galloping around trails either bare back or in an all purpose saddle rather than doing pony club events. Love eventing and dressage I just happen to be dismally terrible at them regardless of years of lessons with some of the best.

Glad Hope got an amazing home to live out her life in, she deserved it after a hard life.

2 Likes