Unlimited access >

"Emergency move-home plan" (updated: moved elsewhere and doing great!)

Can you just fill in the cave with gravel?

It’s pretty big - the full size of the little barn and 10 to 12 feet high.

Wow that’s deep. You probably still could fill it, but maybe it would make more sense to buy a run in shed.

You could look for some free fill to fill it with.

1 Like

Having a bank barn, I don’t believe fill is the answer–the entire floor would still need to be replaced.

3 Likes

How are the sills and the joists? That is the real headache. If those are sound, a new floor can be laid relatively easily. Much of our barn is similar, although the space is not as high (between 1 foot and four feet). Basically, the barn sits on huge stone piers and the outer stone walls, and no where is it in contact with the ground. We’ve only replaced the wood in some of the horse stalls, what is now the car barn has the original 1850’s wood still. But, the barn has always been kept in good shape.
Filling it in is not a good idea, that space keeps the wood from rotting in stone pier construction.

3 Likes

Why can’t you lay a new floor?

The problem is not the floor; it is the sills and joists underneath.

1 Like

What ended up happing here? I am emotionally invested in this story! lol Your barn is gorgeous by the way.

1 Like

I was going to do an update; thanks for reminding me. I moved my mare to a small farm (6 horses, 4 belong to the owner) in early July. She’s outside 24/7 and has a shed with a solar-powered fan. She’s solo in her dry lot because she’s food aggressive to other horses, and I wouldn’t turn her out with another horse unless they had room to get away, but she has over the fence neighbors.

It’s not cheap, but she’s getting very individualized care for all her health needs. It’s been a bit of an adjustment dealing with bugs 24/7, extreme heat, hock sores etc but she seems happy and is moving better than she has in at least a year. She enjoys grazing for 30 to 60 minutes every day.

The place has direct trails access and I’ve been taking her for walks a couple of times a week. She’s so happy to go out being led instead of ridden!

I’d already decided to not bring her home because of the cost of setting things up, and my own health problems that could interfere with caring for her.

The big barn needs some maintenance but we’re deferring until next year because of having to replace our truck and my car this year. It’s not going to fall down; don’t worry!

12 Likes

She is beautiful and so is her new home. I’m glad you both have had a happy landing.

3 Likes

One more because I just have to. She now gets turned out on grass every morning for an hour.

11 Likes