Unlimited access >

EPSM Eventers: What is your horse's diet?

My EPSM Mare is doing well. She is in very light work for the winter months but did very well last summer in heavy work.

For her, Vit E and Mag are SO important! That and turn out.

Her legs used to stock up a little when she was boarded at a facility that only turned out about 4 or so hours/ day (they did have a small are off their stall to walk outside into, maybe 12x16). For the last 13 or so months she has been on closer to 12-14 hours of turn out and her legs have been tight. Her muscle rigidity has been way less than before and she warms up much faster. I think it is just very important for them to be able to move throughout the day.

We still do ALCAR. We are over 2 1/2 years since out last ā€œepisodeā€.

Something that I discovered really helps my mare is DMG. I really noticed that in the winter she would get really stiff during breaks when working her. I talked to my vet about it and he suggested the DMG, it helps with the lactic acid in their muscles. If I happen to run out and it takes a few days until I get more, I can really see/feel a difference in her movement. Its not expensive which is nice too!

[QUOTE=DoubleDown;7336252]
Something that I discovered really helps my mare is DMG. I really noticed that in the winter she would get really stiff during breaks when working her. I talked to my vet about it and he suggested the DMG, it helps with the lactic acid in their muscles. If I happen to run out and it takes a few days until I get more, I can really see/feel a difference in her movement. Its not expensive which is nice too![/QUOTE]

What is DMG?

Is anyone having success using BOT products? Am thinking of getting Tucker a BOT sheet.

Lori T-Hereā€™s a link from Smartpak. I personally feed the Animed brand as I can get it from my feed store. It has no scent and my mare eats it well.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/dmg-by-smartpak-7177p

I have used and had great luck with BOT products. I purchased a sheet and got a free saddle pad at Rolex last year and it may be in my head but I swear my mare goes better with her BOT pad!

Hi AMTefft! How much vit E and Mag do you recommend??? my mare is currently getting 4,000 iu of vit e and 6000 mg of mag. ox but Iā€™m wondering if that should be increasedā€¦