Unlimited access >

Equestrian Court of Grammatical Peeves

as far as back to grammar, some of the other things that drive me crazy are, ‘let’s me and him,’ ‘I seen’.
I was taught when refering to myself and another it is said as if each were singular, He went, and I went. (He and I). etc.

5 Likes

Oh yes. Myself, proudly proclaiming that I wanted to do dressage when I was 12.

Pronounced “dress-edge”. HA!

4 Likes

Horsey, meaning of or about horses, as in “she has a horsey-themed bedroom,” and horsie, a pet name for equines, as in “look at the cute little horsie.”

2 Likes

My pet peeve is “spell checker”…

It doesn’t check SPELLS (such as those for turning princes into frogs). It checks SPELLING, and should be called a “spelling checker”.

9 Likes

This isn’t horse related, but does disrespect … as in “he disrespected me” bug anyone else? Shouldn’t it be “he was disrespectful to me” ?:woman_facepalming:

10 Likes

Misuse of ‘less’ and ‘fewer’ tend to drive me a little batty, too.

5 Likes

Aagh, “less” and “fewer.” You’d think I’d be used to it by now, but no.

3 Likes

Kind of discipline and country specific but when people say;

“I ride Level 1 dressage” Or “Level 2 dressage”

It’s 1st level, or 2nd level.

Drives me mental lol

4 Likes

I may be wrong here and am happy to be corrected if I am.

Drives me nuts when people say horses have fur. Don’t they have hair?

1 Like

In my barn this time of year, it’s fuzz. All of our horses are fuzzy ponies. :wink:

3 Likes

Here we refer to them as fluffy. :rofl:

1 Like

Giggle.

Is ‘They are very furry this year’ OK if you know that it is hair and there is lots of it?

2 Likes

I prefer “floof”. My Old Man is very Floofy.

7 Likes

My general grammar pet peeve is substituting “then” when the word should be “than.” UGH!!!

Horse related? The misuse (often spoken) of the word rode, such as, “I rode yesterday.”

Not, “He’s been rode already today.”

Nor, “That colt just needs to be rode more.”

Maybe it’s a regional thing, or just lazy slang, but I hear this frequently. It makes my ears bleed!

8 Likes

I should mention on this one - your grocery store is probably an offender. The “Less than 15 items” lane. Nooooooo!

And now that you see it, you’ll never un-see it.

4 Likes

I am so gratified to learn that I’m not the only one! And to trubandloki (and others) who took umbrage; I did add a disclaimer in my OP. I did not want to insult or shame anyone. I know plenty of super smart poor spellers. NBD to me. My eldest sister has a very high IQ and spent her entire career as a magazine editor. She was not taught phonics. Even though she is an excellent speller, and has a vast vocabulary, I find that she mispronounces words all the time. I think phonics helps a lot with pronunciation, but not so much with spelling.

Also, though I used grammatical in the title, some of my peeves were about spelling. Mea culpa, mea culpa.

4 Likes

I see the “Less than” sign more often than “15 Items or Fewer” sign! No wonder people get so confused. I feel like, in that specific context of the express lane, it’s almost become accepted as “correct.”

Favorite joke:

A guy in Cambridge, Massachusetts gets on the “15 Items or Fewer” line with 17 items. The cashier says, “What? Are you from Harvard and can’t add, or MIT and can’t read?”

If you have been at Harvard, you have no idea how true that statement is!

9 Likes

Apostrophes.

The company I work for has an ad emblazoned all over Facebook talking about “the holiday’s.”

I’m embarrassed. I may need to call head office. It won’t go down well.

(Oh, and the colt/filly thing? I discovered that it is very regional. Out here in the rural west, every young horse past the stage of weaning is a colt. It might be a filly colt, but generically, it is a colt.)

9 Likes

I mean, even among horse people…if the animal is under 14.2h, it’s a pony. Unless it’s a Morgan or Arabian. Then it’s always a horse. Or a miniature horse.

And an outrider rides a pony horse at the racetrack.

2 Likes

And if I drive past a field of horses, I say “PONIES!” every time.

9 Likes