Unlimited access >

Equine Insurance

Make sure you understand there are very few underwriters-the underlying company that writes the check. The lovely and helpful agent you deal directly with does not disperse funds, only gets paid if they sell you a policy and may not understand the fine print in their product.

READ the actual policy. When I read mine, I discovered I had paid for MM coverage on a 17 year old horse on advice of my long time agent who said it was good the entire 17th year that, as per the actual policy, expired the month the horse turned 17. Which was March. I did get a refund after several calls.

Agent honestly did not know and was nice about it, thankfully I did not have a claim.

In a friends case with a different (long time) agent and underwriter, agent authorized a new treatment for a serious condition. Horse put down when it did not help. Underwriter declined coverage on grounds treatment was unapproved and proper procedures to authorize it were not followed. That one went to court.

READ THE ACTUAL POLICY.

^^^THIS^^^ And, ask questions!!! :slight_smile:

The majority of our horses have been insured with Jarvis. We’ve never had any issues with them at claim time and they’ve always been very easy to deal with. We’ve done business with Markel once and the experience was not pleasant to say the least.