Unlimited access >

Equioxx and Temperament?

Listen, I understand what people are saying. I know about ulcers. We have a barn full of TBs and many of them deal with ulcer problems. The description I gave is but a snippet, not a whole picture, nor his entire medical past which I included NONE of here. I have no desire to spell it all out here. And the same reason you are adamant that I can’t diagnose whether or not he has ulcers without scoping him, is the same exact way that you cannot diagnose him based on a couple paragraphs on a horse forum and your personal experience. So, YES, JFC, my questions have been answered and you’re not enlightening me to anything I don’t already know.

I’ve had 7 horses on E2uioxx long term for years. No ulcers or unusual behavior.

I wasn’t going to comment because this thread is starting to derail and you don’t seem particularly open to help, but the disdain with which you speak about your horse and the combativeness in your responses to folks offering advice/information that you asked for (but isn’t what you want to hear) is palpable. He’s not “an arse with attitude” or looking to argue with you while being ridden. He’s trying to communicate with you that something, whether it be ulcers or something else, is wrong and he needs help. Horses don’t have “naughty” behavior just because. He is doing the best he can with the cards he’s been dealt. For whatever reason, being off the Equioxx has made him more comfortable. Tbh I would suspect ulcers as well, even though Equioxx is “better for bellies” than Bute, it’s still an NSAID and isn’t without its risks. You cannot say he 100% for sure does not have ulcers unless he’s scoped.

I can only hope you will listen to him better than you will listen to your fellow horse people who are offering advice.

27 Likes

This probably can’t be repeated enough, so here it is again.

OP, we’re not trying to be arseholes, we’re trying to help you start listening to your horse. He’s told you something in BLOCK CAPITAL LETTERS on brightly coloured kindergarten blocks. Whether it’s ulcers or something else, you should probably listen to him. We all have been/are still occasionally, not the best listeners. It’s HARD to listen to a horse when you’ve been told for many years that they are just a jerk or having a bad week or whatever, and you sort of work through that and make a difference, or just end up holding a permanent grudge against a “grumpy” horse.

Anyway, many of us have been there, done that, learnt a bunch, and can recognize it in other people :confused: I’m not hopeful that this thread will help either you or your horse, but maybe it will plant a little seed that will grow in time.

16 Likes

I have a horse that has been on Equioxx for two years, and it has not caused a change in behavior, good or bad.

Good luck.

I have a retired gelding on Equioxx for at least two years, maybe three. In his retirement he has become a spicier little gelding - he’s super duper into his mares and he likes to play Wild Stallion of the Sierras with lots of bucking and airs above ground. I’ve never related this behavior to Equioxx, but your post gives me pause.

One note about Equioxx…I eventually halved his dose and he does great on it. Maybe interesting to see if your horse’s behavior changed any on half a dose? (so long as it’s doing its chief pain relieving function, of course)

Ever wonder if the horse being “silly” on Equioxx is the relief of pain? That would be my first thought…

OP I have a horse who has been on equioxx for 10+ years without issue. Your description indicates that something about the equioxx was bothering him, no? What do you think that could be, if it wasn’t GI related? Equioxx doesn’t have the ability to mess with his brain. You don’t need to be a rocket scientist (or a jerk) to work this out. Quit being defensive and problem solve for a minute.

5 Likes

As mentioned previously, excitation is a documented possible side effect. I’ve had one horse who had this response. He handled other NSAIDs just fine. Have another one who seems to have no side effects whatsoever from Equioxx.

3 Likes

Just my $.02…

I haven’t had any issue with Equioxx and my horse has been on it several years now. BUT! This is exactly how he acted when he had ulcers before he ever needed NSAIDs. It was only under saddle and it made him act super weird/looky/unhappy/unwilling. He developed ulcers while he had 1/2 day turnout with free choice hay 24/7 that even included alfalfa.

When he had to start Equioxx I was specifically told to put him on an ulcer preventative because (while Equioxx is generally thought to be safer that Bute etc) it can still cause ulcers/flare. As long as he has his aloe juice every day he is happy and willing while on Equioxx.

Ulcers can happen even to the easiest of keepers! I learned that the fun (read - expensive) way.

1 Like

Interesting, but who uses this as an oral paste? I didn’t even know it came that way.

That was the first formulation available for equines. And probably why a lot of vets just dispensed Previcox instead (Previcox was cheaper). They later made the pill available. In any event, the paste was used in the data for the FDA disclosures. It’s the same drug.

7 Likes

I am horse shopping and found one that needs maintenance with Equioxx, so I looked it up online. https://www.drugs.com/pro/equioxx.html Lots of undated information (this is about the paste version) but it says it shouldn’t be used more than 30 days. And scrolling down there are many side effects:

" Sores or ulcers on the tongue and inside of mouth.
Sores, scabs, redness, or rubbing of the facial skin, particularly around the mouth.
Change in eating or drinking habits (frequency or amount consumed).
Change in urination habits (frequency or color).
Yellowing of gums, skin, or whites of the eyes (jaundice).
Unexpected weight loss.
Change in behavior (such as increased or decreased activity level)"

How have your horses fared beyond the recommended 30 days?

FWIW: I took care of a horse that was routinely scoped since he was a serious competition horse (SJ) and had ulcer history in the past that was resolved. He was started on a maintenance dose of Equioxx in the ‘off season’ after coffin joint injections - they were going to give him a few month break from competition and ramp back up in the spring. Big heavy SWB with lots of SJ mileage in his mid teens. At his next rescope he had moderate-severe glandular ulcers. He was taken off of the Equioxx and given, IIRC, Devil’s Claw/Yucca and the ulcers resolved after several months of expensive treatment.

You would never know if a horse has ulcers or doesn’t unless you scope. It’s impossible to tell from the outside.

Here is my dude with moderate ulcer history. 24/7 turnout, 24/7 hay, low starch grain, light competition season. Tell me he looks like an ulcer candidate…

The top two were taken at his worse (2018-2019) and the bottom is from last May. In his case, the ulcers coincide with balance of his feet.

4 Likes

That’s a darn cute horse!

2 Likes

My WB gelding came to me in his mid teens after a lengthy career in the Big Eq/Junior Hunters and a stint in an IHSA program. Lots of miles, some age-related wear and tear. He received daily Equioxx for almost 5 years with no apparent ill effects. We did bloodwork annually to monitor his liver and kidney function as a precaution, but never had any issues.

It really depends on the horse. My current horse has struggled with ulcers, so treatment with an NSAID is a last resort. He certainly wouldn’t be a candidate for prolonged use. Some horses are also just more sensitive to NSAIDs than others.