Unlimited access >

Eric Lamaze rant on Facebook

You’re a peach :lol: dude you don’t have to agree with my opinion, but I can still totally give it.

tents was the bare minimum, and they got away with it. The facility was an active construction site, Lamaze is correct, you’re cool with that, others including competitors were not. The amenities were pretty rough, it’s a statement of fact, you think it was fine, others did not. And you can think some aspects are crap and still be happy for your results, you can think the organizers are awful and still think your horse performed valiantly. Humans are amazing and being able to feel different things simultaneously.

the cool thing about living, as I’ve also said before, is that different people think different things. If you don’t want to engage with different people thinking different things, maybe a discussion board isn’t the place for you.

15 Likes

Yes, that seems like it would have been a great plan for this event.

3 Likes

As someone who has shown there a fair amount, I have to completely agree with serif. Until you are having to ride and prepare horses at that facility, you can’t quite grasp the magnitude of how incomplete it is and not set up for horses. I have taken it off my schedule for the coming year.

15 Likes

Thank you for sharing this, money quote

“I heard a lot of people referring to the situation as “chaotic”. I disagree. Chaos has the potential to organize itself and it usually reaches a functional equilibrium of sorts. This wasn’t the case: our biggest problem was that the Americans implemented rules and restrictions which even they could not comply by, but demanded everyone else to. Thus, adapting to the situation was impossible. We couldn’t find the best way to do things or make things run smoothly, simply because the Organizing Committee wouldn’t allow us to — when things did end up working, they’d change the rules and procedures overnight, and everything would collapse back into dysfunction.”

4 Likes

Agreed. Eric understands the business of show jumping really, really well. He knows that the owners of World Championship quality show jumping horses really value watching from a quality VIP section. The things that keep owners of these multi-million dollar horses interested in the sport are different from the things that keep us as riders interested. Walking through a construction zone is not something that these owners and VIPs expect to do. The things that are important to the riders are listed in Eric’s post (and he left some unsaid). Many major shows (including Spruce Meadows) split classes that have over 100 entries like this so half the class goes early in the morning and half either in the afternoon or evening. There are ways to do it other than forcing everyone to show during the hottest part of the day three days in a row. That’s all he’s saying.

Also, it’s not Eric’s fault that Bromont pulled out. Pretty sure he had nothing to do with that. Eric is (and always has been) willing to speak up when many others are not. Maybe it’s because of his seniority or maybe it’s for other reasons that the general public don’t know about. He knows what he’s talking about, though, and I’m willing to bet that if any of us had a chance to sit down, off the record, with McLain or Laura or any of the other big name riders who are there competing, they’d agree with Eric. He made a point of congratulating all the teams who competed, and said that he thinks it was great sport. If he was ‘sour grapes’, he wouldn’t have done that. He was very complimentary of Kara and Mario. Eric has nothing left to prove, and he is one of very few people who can speak up from a place of real experience (he has medaled individually at a WEG in the USA before, and has more Olympic medals than just about anyone else in the sport). Personally, I’m proud of him for being so eloquent and complimentary while he expressed to the world how he really felt about the competition.

23 Likes

The reason LadyJ pointed out that she’s a former 5* groom (not everyone reading this has been on these boards for years following/remembering every poster’s username and resume, so it is actually good for her to include where her perspective is coming from) is that FEI grooms understand horse welfare in a completely different way than the average adult amateur or even lower level professional. Show jumping is different from the other Olympic disciplines. You can only understand that by actually being a part of that world, either as an FEI rider or groom. You see things and hear things and learn things that most people have absolutely no idea about. The reason the horses don’t look overheated or distressed is because these teams of people know how to manage these top horses in any weather. It doesn’t mean they want to, especially when there are options to schedule the classes differently.

That’s really great that all the other people and coaches and owners that you were interacting with (were you in the VIP section?) were raving and having a great time. Everyone knows to only express their negative opinions to their inner circle, unless it’s as part of a carefully crafted statement like Eric’s. They’re not going to just unload on random public that interacts with them (I’m speaking in general terms, not saying any specific poster is just general public), or say something in a public area that could be overheard and taken out of context and held against them.

16 Likes

[QUOTE=Moosequito;n10234665

That’s really great that all the other people and coaches and owners that you were interacting with (were you in the VIP section?) were raving and having a great time. Everyone knows to only express their negative opinions to their inner circle, unless it’s as part of a carefully crafted statement like Eric’s. They’re not going to just unload on random public that interacts with them (I’m speaking in general terms, not saying any specific poster is just general public), or say something in a public area that could be overheard and taken out of context and held against them.[/QUOTE]

Lol, my experience has been the exact opposite. They’re very quick to complain. Particularly owners and VIPs. After all, these types of events are really all about them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was not at WEG. I didn’t watch videos, it’s a busy time of year for me. I didn’t even read all the COTH posts on WEG. However the majority I noticed seemed to be making serious complaints about the condition of the venue, the weather emergency, how the weather was handled, the groom’s quarters, and the fiasco with endurance plus cancelling dressage freestyle. People were even wondering if WEG could survive this iteration.

In other words, going from COTH threads it was a bit of a gong show on many levels.

So it’s not like Eric Lamaze is the only person to have some criticisms.

10 Likes

To all of you defending Tryon, have you ever been to Spruce Meadows, to Aachen, to Hickstead, or to any of the Global Champions League venues. These places are world class. Tryon is the slums in comparison.

16 Likes

Exactly. Since when is it acceptable to host a horse show where there are no hotels close by, stabling is inadequate, incomplete, or miles away with no vehicle access, and there is not a single grassy/natural area on which to graze or ride a horse?

11 Likes

You are so so so wrong. There are many many horsemen who are not 5* showjumping riders or grooms who do completely understand horse welfare and can manage ANY horse in ANY weather.

11 Likes

I am on my way home from Tryon having watched and volunteered this week. I saw this FB post last night after working the driving marathon. Eric is spot on with many of his issues - the facility is not up to par for hosting a world championship event. What spectators see and experience is light years away from what exhibitors are seeing and experiencing. The weather isn’t to blame. The lack of time to prepare isn’t to blame. The lack of organization and communication is to blame.

The schedule for show jumping was brutal - Wednesday and Thursday could have been split into morning and late afternoon sessions to avoid the heat of the day. Friday could have been run in the morning instead of starting at 1:30. Other disciplines had their times adjusted for the weather - the start time for both the dressage and marathon were moved to earlier in the day for the driving horses. Vaulters went until 8 pm to help with the heat.

The VIP lounge was not nice enough for this level of event. The elevator only worked 1/2 the time if you were lucky and the stairs looked like they were a late addition. There were boxes and cartons of unpacked stuff everywhere. Drapes covered areas that weren’t finished. Many of the tv screens were not on so you couldn’t see what was happening in the other rings. Tables were placed where vision was blocked by large beams. The food was ok but not what I would have expected for the price of tables. And honestly, you couldn’t see the close side of the arena from there anyway. Not up to par for sure. Sponsors at this level really expect more.

Behind the scenes there was a clear lack of information and lots of confusion. As a volunteer I could see the disorganization and hear the complaints. The place did look like a construction site and there were hazards when you were just walking around. Tryon attempted to get things done, but it didn’t happen. The FEI should have inspected the site on a regular basis and planned for contingencies when things weren’t finished on time. The FEI officials that I spoke with were very dissatisfied with a lot of things - both with the FEI and Tryon.

So, could it have been better? Definitely. Were major mistakes made? Yes. Did spectators see all the issues? No.

21 Likes

We were there for pony club champs. The stalls are very nice, wash areas close by, manure disposal close, air conditioned bathrooms with water fountains, covered walk areas with fans, all weather walk ways all around the facility.
Every barn had a parking lot. Arenas were fabulous. Well maintained. Jumps were very nice. I Evented at the old Essex and hotels were over 30 minutes away with nothing close by.
Tryon is far from a slum.

6 Likes

So, any problems we had (as in me, owners and my groom etc) were addressed as soon as possible by the organisers…following the correct channels , Through the sports chief stewards)… One of the hardest things to do at Tryon, is to get some down time… some grazing or quiet riding out area.
For those who were reining, any issues we had were addressed immediately… Including the introduction of 3 nisting fans into the warn up arena… I actually competed in a wet shirt . not as the commentaters said because I was working up a sweat, but because my warn up needed to consist of some time in the misting fan, since it was significantly hot in the indoor warmup arena.
I do however believe that my biggest concern there was the treatment of volunteers… I was shocked… I regularly went and got them drinks and ice etc form the canteens because it did not appear that anyone else was… These people were significantly taken advantage of in my opinion…

22 Likes

With all due respect, preparing an equine for pony club level competition is a far cry from Olympic-caliber jumping.

17 Likes

It’s likely that NBC had a good bit to do with the scheduling, and that they provided the feed for other countries and probably the FEI. Considering that any coverage of horse sport beyond the Triple Crown is almost at the vanishing point, NBC’s money and time should be loudly cheered and inconveniences tolerated with good grace.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, the Beijing Olympics were held in the evenings or a few of the days and went as late as midnight. They had massive cooling fans at the ring and in the stable area as well for the heat.

3 Likes

Do Olympic level horses not have poop and need nice stalls and water and grooms and riders who have to pee? Some things are exactly the same.

1 Like

How on earth does this “premiere” venue in the hot, humid south not have some kind of large capacity, climate controlled indoor area facility? Not an unusal thing for a facility that hosts even AA level competitions (KHP, WEC, VHC, PGEC, Harrisburg…) let alone FEI levels.

8 Likes

I am actually a competitor(dressage) and spectator at TIEC often. The barns and arenas are some of the best in the world- yes- I have been at several International venues and even worked the Olympics. There are dedicated shade areas with misting fans at the entrance to every outdoor arena. They have been in place since the first show held here. There are about 1,200 permanent stalls on site, all with permanent fans and water every 4 stalls with wash racks and manure pits in safe and convenient locations, so ample safe stabling. Permanent restrooms with air conditioning are located at every barn.

The endurance venue went right by three sides of my farm, everything was done for weeks ahead of time to make the trails safe and clearly marked. Endurance riders trained for more than a week riding past. I know- I was there.

As far as the horrible events of the the endurance- look to the FEI and the ground jury, they are the only people who can make any decisions concerning an event that involves restarts and cancellation.

As to the weather, no one could have predicted such heat( I lived here for 21 years and never had we had this much heat and humidity at the same time in September- one or the other, not both) or the hurricane. The humidity of endurance day was due in large part to the stalling of a front from the midwest hitting the advancing hurricane.

As for scheduling- again- look to the FEI for that, they have complete control over the actual times of day events are run, not the organizers. Organizers can change things up to a point, but have to get approval from the FEI. As to start times- I asked about that today- they had to start at the times the FEI gave them for FEI TV for European viewers ( that is why Bejing was later in the day- to accommodate the European time frames)- they had no choice. NBC was not the culprit, nor were the organizers at TIEC.

As to the condition of the venue, there are back stories involving the FEI making changes early in the year that put TIEC in a no win situation. With the rains we had this year- 29 inches in 21 days- a historic high just in the month of July and even more in August, there was no way the concrete could dry in time to continue construction and be safe. This venue had only 18 months to get ready. This was a new venue that had a lot of growing to do and not enough time to do it. Stop complaining about the mess and be thankful that WEG 2018 was even held. Perhaps it would have been best (for the spectators) that it would have been cancelled and held in 2022 when TIEC would have had the time to be ready.–Again- look to the FEI for this. The test events were held under the in person eyes of the FEI- if any of them had not been run up to the standards set by the FEI, TIEC would not have gotten the go ahead.

There were last minute changes that the organizers were forced to make due to weather and also the USDA changing rules and regulations for the horses and the venues both onsite and off. The endurance route was changed just two weeks before the start of WEG as the USDA came in and demanded a wider trail than some areas could handle. This was due to piroplasmosis concerns that were not given to the organizers until the last few days of August. The trails had to be over 50 feet wide and the grass, leaves, etc had to be cut down to the bare ground to prevent ticks.

As a spectator for all two weeks, yes the first few days were unorganized and confusing. Volunteers were somewhat overwhelmed and gave incorrect information out. Yes, the VIP elevator did not even work the first day- and my husband and I are handicapped and would not have returned if TIEC had not fixed it. The staff at TIEC worked tirelessly to help us out. I know again personally that some of the staff were up and on their computers at 5:00 AM and still were there at 3:00 AM. I know the volunteers at the main arenas had a tent for food and drink, but I can’t speak for the indoor venue. I know the judges had to eat in a tent one day with rainwater over their shoes. I had a scribe stay with me in my home because the organizers did not provide housing for them. I was on a list for week two competitors for housing due to a local inn burning down the first week. The second week was a far cry better than the first. Staff had a steep learning curve. Parking and shuttles became more reliable, food was in good supply and paper fans were handed out for free by some vendors. Some vendors pulled out early due to the low sales, some made a huge profit.

Nothing in life is perfect, but give TIEC credit for doing the very best they could in a very tough situation.

30 Likes