Unlimited access >

Esomeprazole (Nexium) for equine ulcers

Thanks! He is on a gut supplement now (started DEC Excel just before the ulcergard), so maybe I will just taper off the Pop-rocks and see how it goes; Add them back in if I find he truly needs it

Picked up some Nexium last night, going to give it a try with my Arab mare.

Iā€™ve used UlcerGard during specific times of stress in the past, and while on even the 1/4 tube per day, her weaving stops entirely, even in situations that cause her to weave 100% of the time otherwise.

I think itā€™s safe to say that she likely has some gastic upset going on and the weaving is a symptom of her discomfort.

Iā€™ll know how it works in comparison to the 1/4 tube of ulcergard at the very least! Stay tuned!

1 Like

My mare continues to do well on three pills a day and has not lost her appetite, while still on a fairly high dose of banamine (switched from bute).

I was at Walgreens tonight and found the new Nexium ā€œclear miniā€ extended release capsules. They are even smaller than the regular Nexium capsules, and are filled with tiny enteric-coated granules. They cost a few dollars more, but are probably worth it for the additional ā€œinsuranceā€ of passing through the stomach acid.

https://www.nexium24hr.com/us/clearminis

Picture:
https://www.nexium24hr.com/sites/defā€¦?itok=KuLZ9I3Y

I canā€™t foresee ever buying the Abler pop rocks again.

2 Likes

Add me to the list of those giving it a try. My guy never really settled at his last barn, and on top of somewhat surprise dental issues, really did not get enough roughage over the winter.

Heā€™s at a new place with lots of grass and refreshed set of chompers, and is improving but hasnā€™t gotten over the hump to my satisfaction. He wired in the barn. Iā€™m going to give this a try as UG and GG are far out of the budget.

Interesting!

The regular Nexium capsules are buffered or coated or something inside the capsuleā€“the package insert says itā€™s okay to open the capsule and take with applesauce or something if you canā€™t do pillsā€“but Iā€™ve never actually opened one to see how theyā€™re protecting the med. I can see the smaller size here being handy, and if the regular pills use a buffer instead of a coating to protect the med, youā€™ll get better bioavailability with these mini ones.

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Dove is done with her four full weeks of treatment and Iā€™ll start tapering tonight. No complaints! This has worked so well for her. Wish I had the disposable funds to scope her just for giggles. But sadly, no. No disposable funds just for giggles. :lol:

2 Likes

I will say that I read horribly for comprehension and started my gelding on the tablets instead of the capsules. Even so, there was a noticeable difference in the four days he was on them before I started with the regular capsule. He also had no issues eating the tablets either.

:lol:

Glad to know the tablets seem to work, too! :smiley:

I opened one of the regular capsules and the contents looked different ā€“ finer granules. I didnā€™t get a good look because the capsule exploded and it all fell into the chow.

My mare has crunched a couple of regular capsules open and the contents looked like a coarse powder to me. But saliva may have caused that appearance, too.

Thought I would add a little update.
Iā€™m in the process of weaning my OTTB off the 3 capsule dosage. I going to do 2 pills for 2 weeks then 1 for another 2 weeks. He seems to be doing well and no change in behaviorā€¦ so iā€™ve also quit giving him the GUT supplement. I still have him on Ulc R Aidā€¦ but more for the magnesium which the chiro/accupuntion lady likes for his muscle and immune system.

But most interesting is I have started my 23 yr old gelding on a 2 pill dose. He is slighter build and not really showing signs of ulcers, other than he is picky, very slow eater. I also started him on the Ulc-r Aid. He has been cleaning up his grain like no tomorrow. .years ago he was scoped due to having had choke issues, and they found one healed ulcer, so i never really worried about him after thatā€¦ as that was in the height of his show career. But I figured it couldnā€™t hurt to see if it would help himā€¦ So far loving the results. Especially since it means he will eat the fat supplement which he hasnā€™t been interested in. I am thinking about starting the 24 yr old Cushings mare on it, but she seems to have bumped up her appetite just from adding the Ulc R-aidā€¦ so for now I am just going keep the two geldings on it.

I was just about to throw in the towel, because although attitude had improved, the little bit of weight gain and coat shine that I was looking for just werenā€™t there. Coat shine returned from a morning to night about two weeks into the Nexium treatment.

Heā€™s also on a big bale of (mostly) alfalfa, and his weight is coming right back on.

4 weeks is suggested for full dose, right? Then taper off after?

1 Like

Glad to hear of the successes!

4 week is the usual treatment timeline for gastrogard, so I think 4 weeks of nexium, then tapering down, is a safe way to go :slight_smile: .

Still having good luck with the Nexium and the laminitic mare who is still on daily banamine. I did some more reading on the regular capsules vs. the ā€œclear miniā€ and it states they are both enteric coated. It looks like the mini is just a smaller pill, so easier to swallow. I used up the minis and have been giving the regular capsules (only one a day for the past week) and the mare is still showing no sign at all of gastric upset.

3 Likes

As we all know, the plural of anecdote does not equal data, but I do have a positive update to add to the thread. I started my 23 yo TB gelding on generic tablet esomeprazole two weeks ago. Heā€™d had a rough winter, moved twice in six months, etc. etc. and was not settling to my satisfaction in his new home. He was showing some definite ulcer-y symptoms, and I found this thread right about the time I was fretting about bankrupting my young family with a monthā€™s supply of Gastrogard.

Today was my mental make or break mark for this experiment. He was still a bit antsy coming into the grooming stall but much, much improved. His manure, while wet, was healthily so and well formed as opposed to the cow pats heā€™d had even up until last week. He was shiny under last weekendā€™s mud and much more comfortable being groomed. I also feel he has turned the corner putting weight back on; while the pasture has helped with that, I think the general improvement in his demeanor has helped just as much.

I an very grateful for Simkie starting this experiment and thread, as it has helped my horse immensely; I will keep up for two more weeks then wean him down for probably two more. I have been using generic 20mg tablets, which cost me less than $16 for two weeks. At this rate a month plus weaning will cost less than two tubes of Gastrogard. Thank you!

5 Likes

Cool, WNT! Tell us about the generic you were able to findā€“I havenā€™t turned anything up but the Nexium! :yes:

Well, maybe I didnā€™t grab the right thing though it appears to be working, but Walmart has their store brand right with the Nexium and Prevacid. Of course I left the box and bottles in my trunk at the barn, but I can grab it next time I go out.

Soā€¦has anyone tried this on their donkey? My BLM burro has basically been untouchable/uninterested/a little cranky since he arrived. I suspect heā€™s just being a donkey, but heā€™s also the stressed type.

Horses arenā€™t donks, so I donā€™t want to jump into this headlong without at least a thought from the COTH mind.

If there isnā€™t a reason to try it out on him, Iā€™ll probably start throwing a single pill into his once daily handful of Groā€™nā€™Win and see how that goes for a couple weeks.

So it turns out I had grabbed the regular omeprazole, not esomeprazole. However, I saw such a dramatic improvement in his attitude and weight, that I stuck it out with the generic omeprazole tablets and heā€™s now on the draw down period.

Iā€™ve been using Nexium on the ulcer queen once again for our move from Tennessee to Maryland. I started her on it a few days prior to shipping and she has handled the move much better than I could have ever anticipated. I donā€™t think itā€™s a coincidence. She eats the caps like candyā€¦ sheā€™s been slurping them up out of my hand the past couple days. This mare wonā€™t even take most treats out of your hand.

Iā€™m not sure youā€™ll be able to get me to buy pop rocks or UG/GG again now!

I donā€™t really know much about donkeys, but if you use GastroGard on them like horses, I would think everything weā€™ve talked about here would be transferable in the same way. Good luck, and let us know how it goes! :smiley: :yes:
ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹

Glad to hear youā€™ve seen improvement! I donā€™t know if thereā€™s any data that suggests such a low dose of omeprazole is effective, like there is with the Nexium, but heyā€“if it works for you, it works for you :slight_smile:

Wahoo!

And yeah, I feel the same way about the other options now. Effective, cheap, and readily available? Sign me up!