Unlimited access >

Event horse breeders

I’m not convinced I would ever encourage your average amateur eventer to dive into buying weanlings or really young horses. Ironically most of the amateurs I know who do this aren’t tight for funds and aren’t doing it to save a bunch of money. Even if the risk part of it works out really young horses are not the financial savings most people think they are. You can expect to pay $10K +/- on top quality purpose bred foal. Then three and a half years before you throw a leg over for the first time. Even if you have your own place that is an appropriate setting for a very young horse so you are not paying board it can still be (for me) $2-3K a year in farrier, vet, feed, hay and shavings per horse.

If you stick your money in a savings account and in a few years it’s a lot less risk to take your $20K and go buy a just started youngster. A year and a half ago I bought an Oldenburg for less than that and he’s as nice as anything out there and looks as if he will be competitive in any company, as long as I can ride up to his ability! :wink: (Although maybe not enough blood for the ULs–but not my goals–he’d be more valuable straight dressage or hunters anyway.)

By the same token I would encourage young professionals to set their programs up so they are purchasing the highest quality weanlings they can afford and be bringing along a string of horses with time while still riding their mature horses. When it becomes obvious that one isn’t an UL candidate you still have a very nice expensive horse to sell. When the UL ones get there you don’t have an owner that can take your horse away. There are surprisingly few professionals who do this. But the couple I know that do it will also sell less than 50% interest, so still retain majority decision making while picking up a little help on monthly expenses. But these are professionals who are set up better to take on the risks and have a broad enough skill set to bring on the youngsters from the beginning.

ETA: I should admit/clarify that I purchased a coming 4 year old just started (not yet jumping) in Feb 2020. I liked him so much I purchased his 2 year old full brother later the same year. I’ll easily have the same amount in him that I purchased his older brother for when he’s the same age. I also have a yearling I’ve bred and one (hopefully) in utero. I don’t expect to make a dime on either, but maybe I won’t lose my shirt–I’ve a friend with a stallion and this is more about helping her get nice horses on the ground to promote him. I have my own farm.

4 Likes

May I please be nosy and ask what your OTTB filly/mare’s pedigree is like? I am curious to see!

1 Like

The COTH community, while wonderful, can be dream-crushingly realistic when it comes to all things young horse or breeding related. It’s not without good reason; there are a lot of people here who have seen how often it goes wrong. We also tend to be rabid TB fans. :rofl:

The irony also is you have people who have bred horses being competed at the upper levels by Olympians and others with a wealth of knowledge commenting right alongside people without experience in this.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with buying a clean slate. But if you planning on buying from one of the few well known event breeders, they tend to already have their horses spoken for.

But there are a TON of small, lesser known, regional breeders producing event horses capable of prelim or higher if/when the stars align. Try following some breeder social media groups or hashtags. There are so many people out there producing one or two quality horses a year that may be just right for you.

5 Likes

Do tell, pedigree, pictures?!

The boys are by Royal Appearance, a son of Riverman and out of a very successful 1.45M amateur jumper mare. The details from his sale page:
Registered and Branded: Oldenburg Gelding

Dam: Lady Carthago- (Lascadell X Kleo I), Holsteiner, Imported from Germany, competed successfully in Europe and North America in 1.45M jumpers (Wellington, Spruce Meadows, Lake Placid, Kentucky, Hampton Classic, Saugerties among others). Winner of high amateur classes in Wellington, Kentucky, and Lake Placid. Placed 3rd Spruce Meadows in 1.30 amateur classic, champion low amateur division at the Hampton Classic in 2011, 1st place low amateur class in Wellington 2012 out of 72 horses.

Sire: Royal Appearance- 16.2 H Holsteiner grey stallion, approved ISR/Oldenburg, by Riverman, very versatile stallion with experience in the jumpers, eventing and dressage. Was Reserve Champion of the East Coast International Young Jumper Finals, finished 4th at his Stallion Performance Test and is the sire of an Advanced/CCI*** horse. Grandsire Riverman has been 3x Eventing Sire of the Year & 3x the top US-based Show Jumping Sire.

The 5 year old is running BN–mostly at schooling shows because I think they are a much better option for green horses than recognized–and schooling Novice at home. The 3 year old is finishing up 60 days with my cowboy that starts them and will be headed to my friend’s to get a couple more months of schooling before I toss him back out in the field for a few months then bring him back late winter/early spring to start for real.

The yearling is by a 100% color producing Paint that has a reputation for fantastic amateur, “born broke” horses and out of an UL Young Rider mare who is 3/4 TB. The hopefully in-utero is by the same sire out of a lower level TB event mare.

3 Likes

This showed up on my FB feed, may be worth a gander for OP – the sheet was done by Amanda Chance.

The sheet itself:

4 Likes

Just picking up this thread; curious as to what breed you have that’s known for its temperament? As I prepare to start my search I’m trying to open my minds to breeds beyond the OTTBs I love… #InquiringMindsWantToKnow

Hungarian horses. It’s a somewhat rare breed but known for it’s amateur-friendly personality. My first Hungarian was a Hungarian Felver mare (main book) who made me fall in love with the breed. Sadly, she had to retire in 2020. My current gelding is a Hungarian Sportlo, often called a Hungarian Warmblood, so he is by a Hungarian Felver stallion out of a Trakhener mare. More info can be found here: https://www.hungarianhorseassociation.com

1 Like

Thanks! Hadn’t heard of either but will check out the links. And I’m sorry about your mare.

1 Like