Everything to know about Kissing Spine, please! (And general update of rehabbing him and his issues now!)

Well mesotherapy went well today! He’s a horse that’s known to love his drugs lol But he seemed to really enjoy them scrubbing his back to sterilize it. He thought it was a wonderful massage lol. And I did notice he was less reactive to the actually mesotherapy than last time. He was sedated both times but I thought last time they gave him a little more sedation. Still, The first time I did it you could see his muscle spasming and him flinch when they were putting the needles in. Today no reaction at all. Maybe even seemed to enjoy it lol.

So I figured that’s a good sign that his back is definitely less tense and tight than it was before. We also had a farrier appointment today and made some changes trim wise. So he’ll have a few days off then we will start groundwork and then back under saddle for him. Fingers crossed.

10 Likes

Well yesterday I went out to see how was and take him on a little hand walk around the property. He was VERY relaxed and at ease.

He kept resting his left hind leg. Which he’s not one to usually rest a leg. Unless I’m giving him a massage or using my posture prep on his hind end.

Of course he had a farrier appointment where we made some changes too.

So hopefully this is a good sign and not that the trim made him sore or something. I could see it going either way with him. Historically resting behind has been a good sign for him since it’s not his norm and he is tight behind. Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

All good updates - I’m sorry I missed the last several.

I wouldn’t look too deep into the LH resting - it could be he is just feeling a million bucks after the meso. My experience with meso is it’s fast acting and potent.

Good news his hind end angles weren’t too bad though even flat can cause soreness. You sound like you’re on the right track with this multi-faceted addressing of various parts of the body. My KS horse is his best when I focus more on his hind feet than anything else. Like you said it’s interesting how everything affects everything else, especially feet. Those farriers that said no hoof no horse were onto something. :wink:

3 Likes

I’m checking him out today to see how looks after a few days hanging out. Fingers crossed that it was the mesotherapy. It was the side where she found him the most tight by his SI too…

We will definitely try to keep a really close eye on his feet! It makes sense how the whole hind end is tied together.

Well I’m posting a video. It’s my trainer riding (She’s a silver medalist that has competed in the GP on her self trained horse) but even she’s human. So if you have suggestions regarding how he’s ridden but I asked that would keep the critique of another person riding my horse to a minimum :slight_smile:

Also later on yesterday, he had his saddle checked and widened a bit in the shoulders. He also is getting his teeth done next week.

So I still think he looks stiff and not sound. But overall he seems pretty happy to work. And looking at his back and the changes in his muscles, I absolutely think we are on the right path even though we’re not “There” yet.

So my trainer is going to start riding him twice a week and then I’ll do groundwork or hopefully be cleared to ride myself soon. We also will start riding him more long and low too but my trainer hasn’t felt like behavior-wise she’s been able to do that quite yet lol. I also need to add the equiband back in more.

So we know the saddle fits, he gets his teeth done next week, I’m going to start using some hoof boots behind when he’s worked to see if that helps. And he’s set to get hind shoes in May. I also I’m ordering zycosan next week.

The vet did recommend the possibility of SI injections… So that’s on the table too but my trainer is thinking to wait until after he gets hind shoes.

https://youtube.com/shorts/GyMKRsiJg1Y?si=0x4JC2UyXDgqwAG0

https://youtube.com/shorts/-8G_2XgN8Hg?si=uwikKOKE2rDBjJg6

I’m definitely open to suggestions on different things. I’m not willing to take him to the hospital for a workup at this time. I just financially can’t do it I’ve been there and done that. It’s been valuable before but I just can’t do it at the moment.

I’m trying really hard for him in what’s already been a really hard year for me otherwise. I will be the first one to admit that I don’t think I’ve been working him like he needs. But I’m happy to report he’s still built muscle somehow anyways!

I get the feeling that what we’re dealing with is not really kissing spine pain but maybe more compensation issues at this point. His back has been feeling pretty good mostly since he was diagnosed and treated.

3 Likes

Also don’t mind the weird saddle pad setup. It’s a Western back on track pad but it’s really thin. I usually just put it on his back for 20 or 30 minutes and massage it to kind of warm him up. But I didn’t have time so we just used it. He does seem to enjoy the back on track pads. I have some regular ones they just need to make it to the barn!

1 Like

Not a critique of the rider, but does he get to work in a longer lower outline to work on lifting his back? I just worry he’s not strong enough to work in this frame, and lift his back

4 Likes

Your trainer looks like a fantastic rider. :slightly_smiling_face:

Can you refresh me, how long he has had shoes up front? I remember you did x-rays of his fronts, wat were those like?

How does he move on the lunge?

I think I addressed that my original post. She has felt like he’s been a ball of energy so not so much in the trot yet. But yes in the walk. And on the lunge he stretches down.

Working towards that though more!

ah gotcha, sorry I missed that!

1 Like

He looks stiff, shuffley, and “quick footed” to me, like he’s in a big hurry to get on to the next step.

I’d keep fitting him up for awhile, try not to over analyze, and re-video in a month and then assess the changes, good or bad.

It’s hard when you see him every day - sometimes we need to look further than the “ends of our noses” though, so to speak. Give him time to regain fitness and relax into the work.

6 Likes

He’s had shoes at least a year. In a rim pad right now. Back shoes are coming.

I had a farrier was leaving a ton of heel, like horizontal cornet band amount of heel.

I think we’ve had x-rays on the front few times. It seems like he is not have a lot of room for error. Right now he’s got a bit of a rolled toe up

1 Like

He was tripping awhile ago but that’s gone.

As with all kissing spine horses, he is a pain to keep right it seems lol.

1 Like

Agree. Also right after this his saddle was adjusted and his teeth are due next week. So hopefully we are slowly on the right path…

2 Likes

I might try and ride to myself this weekend… Just to play with things although I’m “lame” too lol.

2 Likes

He looks tight, shuffley, and quick footed like endless said. Honestly this is what my KS horse looks like (granted he’s in 0 work and on gabapentin so I’m sure it could be “better”… or worse). I KNOW my KS horse’s back still bugs him and his SI is likely to need help.

I think you’re right, he’s not truly sound. I also think he really needs the long and low, the frame he’s in isn’t doing him any favors and might be actively hurting his progress. I know it’s hard when you’re also trying to keep the lid on, but I’d be trying to find ways to work him in a “better” outline as much as possible. He looks happy to be out and doing something so that’s good!

It’s so tough trying to “fix” these guys. You’ve done SO much with him and obviously he’s feeling better - but dang if he doesn’t look much more sound than my basically untreated horse. I think pursuing SI and really cracking down on his hoof health is a good plan!

4 Likes

He’s barely has any work since my accident which definitely isn’t helping him. But yes it’s disappointing.

1 Like

As long as he’s happy and not trying to kill you, I think keeping him in work and trying to build his back and abs is a good plan. These horses IME are a balancing act where the slightest thing throws them off so you just have to do the best with what you have!

3 Likes

Impressive

That’s my thinking. He’s meeting me at the gate nickering, isn’t painful for palpation or getting tacked up, literally puts his head into the bridle. He seems to want to work at least a little so while we are figuring everything out, might as well keep him going a little bit.

The question I’m having now is do I just do Zycosan and hind shoes next OR do I just skip Zycosan and get his SI injected now…

1 Like