Unlimited access >

Exercise Ideas Needed, Please!

There are tons of hands-free core exercises and hip strengtheners that you can do instead.

Planks and side planks and variations from your elbow (many trainers prefer these anyway)
Hollow body hold
Bent hollow body hold
Sit-ups (straight leg, butterfly)
Reverse situps
Glute Bridges and variations (marching, single leg, etc)
Russian twist

I could think of more - these are just things in my regular training, and I don’t have any wrist issues

1 Like

Check out the Mind Body Vault youtube channel for lots of videos specific to equestrians (especially vaulters, so feel free to ignore the crazy advanced stuff, lol)

https://www.youtube.com/c/MindBodyVault/videos

Here is a 14 minute video that is Fitness for Riding Seat (which looks like exactly the calisthenics you’re looking for) and might be a great place to start.

I know the gals behind this program and they’re really awesome. There’s a reason all the riders in Germany are mandated to start by vaulting, and also why riders who vault (especially top vaulters) are able to transition to the higher levels of riding very quickly and part of that is body control.

Good luck! How exciting!

1 Like

I second this. I started doing yoga 5x a week for 30-45 min a day using Yoga with Adrienne. I hated yoga - like really hated it - and now I really like it. I’ve gained so much strength (especially core) and flexibility. It’s definitely helped my body awareness in the saddle too.

1 Like

Yes! Thanks.

I want to start doing yoga again. I used to do yoga to some of Lilias’ yoga DVDs. Morning Yoga and Evening Yoga, for Seniors. I still remember some of her exercises; hopefully I can find her or someone like her on YouTube. Adrienne, maybe.

I am doing the online Dressage Rider Training right now. It’s a 12 week program with three workouts, riding “homework” (if you have a horse to ride), and stretching exercises. I didn’t really feel I was getting stronger but the second four week phase was really tough for me in some ways so I opted to repeat that phase before continuing to phase three. That’s when I noticed I was stronger. The really tough exercises were much easier (not necessarily easy, but noticeably easier than the first time through).

The cost was about $20 per week for the 12 weeks and you have 6 months to complete the course. No extra charge for repeating weeks. I figured it was worth the risk as it was less than the cost of a weekly riding lesson.

I need to add something else for cardio fitness, but DRT is helping my core strength, flexibility and general strength. I was surprised at how much I enjoy the yoga based parts of the program. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for posting about this. It sounds like a really good program, and the price is certainly good!
Just yesterday I walked from the tack shop to the grocery store and noticed that I was walking pretty well (for me). :slight_smile:
I’ve messed up my plantar fascia(?) though, doing tiptoe lifts (I don’t know what to really call them), because the outside edge of the sole of my foot REALLY started hurting for a few steps when I was leading the lesson horse around the big arena. I was wearing my new boots, which are very comfortable but also very new. So no more tiptoe lifts for awhile, if ever. Aspercreme and a gentle massage really helped last night.

If I am ever able to get up on the horse I would want to be able to get down again without completely destroying my knee. If it wouldn’t cost the price of 3 lessons I would offer to buy a 3-step mounting block and donate it to the barn. More affordable, though, than offering to donate a gaited 13-hand mount.

Mounting blocks are really really important as we age :). I get on and off on the three step mounting block with my good broke mare. I wouldnt try it with an unreliable horse that might move. Good mare has learned to settle right over the edge to make it easier for me. Treats were involved.

2 Likes

I have MS, and I was WEAK when I started re-riding after three years of riding once a year.

When I found my lesson stable they did not have a very stable mounting “block”. Luckily the horse I was riding was a saint, very spirited but at the same time patient if I did not hurt him.

Then I discovered the 3 step mounting blocks. I saved up my money, bought one, got it to the stable and told my teacher it was my donation to her riding school. I find it so much easier to mount from the 3 step, especially when my MS is messing up my body.

I get a kick out of seeing the little, little kids being able to get up on their lesson horses without dragging on the saddle. The kids are happier, the horses are happier, my riding teacher is happier, win, win, win!

The cost averages out over the years, and the fact that your body has less wear and tear is simply priceless, especially with what medical care costs nowadays.

1 Like

This barn has lots of young kids taking lessons, and I have thought that they might appreciate having a 3-step available. There is a 2-step, and years ago I sometimes turned a 2-step on end to mount my 15.2 QH, but it was wobbly and always fell over as I pushed off it. So I bought a 3-step. Loved it. It is now being used in a lesson program by the friend I gave it to, long ago and far away. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have never tried dismounting onto a mounting block. I would really like to try. :slight_smile:

1 Like