Unlimited access >

Extra stalls, layout help

I have a small retirement boarding farm and have a couple of new boarders coming in the next few months. I’ve decided to add stalls in an existing lean-to for my own horses, so that the main barn can be used solely by boarders.

The main barn is probably only 200’ away, so I’m not planning on a separate feed room (I have a Ranger and can easily throw feed/hay in the back) but I do want a space to put a large tack locker where I can keep all of my things, and a wash rack/grooming stall.

Structure is 32’ wide, 14’ deep (post to post) with a 2’ overhang. Posts are spaced 10’ then 6’ then 6’ then 10’.

My initial thought was a 10x14 stall, a 12x14 stall, and a 10x14 grooming/tack area. The water, and electric outlets are all located on the far right of the structure.

Or, do I put the grooming area in the middle so I have a little more space, and stalls on either end?

Anything else I’m not considering?

What would be your preference for stall type for this kind of barn? Main barn has traditional stalls with half walls and full grills…but wondering for a shedrow type of building is something more open/airy would be better? Also, wash stall will share a wall with a stall, so need to keep that in mind…

I’m in the midwest, and while we do get some snow and sub-zero temps in the winter, our summers are definitely more brutal and I’d like to keep that in mind when designing this barn.

depends upon your horses preference, do they like each other and prefer to be near one another? if so having the stalls separated by a tack stall may not make them happy

The barns we have allow the horses to see each other. We did have one horse who was hauled all over the county to shows and competitions who did not care if there was any one she knew next to her, she preferred to be alone so we built her a barn for herself (now the residence of the three miniatures.

Are you going to trench water to the wash stall? If not I’d put it on the far right with the water and you could add FRP board to keep the adjoining stall dry. That puts the two stalls next to each other which I’d think more efficient. Full or half wall divider based on horse preference.

1 Like

They’ll be able to see each other regardless of where I place the grooming stall, walls won’t be solid…and both are totally fine being in the barn alone anyway. They are buddies, but both pretty independent horses.

@fourfillies No, I hadn’t planned to trench a waterline…the hydrant is in the back right corner of the lean-to, and with the width being only 32’ a hose easily reaches anywhere. I was kind of leaning towards the middle “stall” as the grooming area since it’s the most protected from the elements…in heavy storms rain can blow into the ends a bit. But, I see the points about keeping the stalls next to eachother, as well as having the wash stall right near the hydrant.

1 Like

How is the area oriented relative to the sun? Summer sun is brutal. If the middle area has the most protection from the sun and the rain, I’d want to use that area for my workspace no contest.

The whole area is very shady and breezy, which is a big reason I want my personal horses moved there! Plus, my main barn has no way to have runs attached to stalls, but this barn will give me that option, which will open up more turnouts for the boarders…

1 Like

That sounds great! Good ventilation in the summer is critical. I love runs on stalls! Plus, you, your stuff and your horses will have your own private area. I am imagining that might be really nice!

If you put the wash stall in the middle, then you could make the runs on each stall bigger by splitting the space behind the wash stall between the two runs!

I’m not familiar with real winter horse keeping, but I am not missing solid barn walls at my place. It’s deathly hot here and I’m grateful to catch any whisper of a breeze.

How are you planning on setting up the wash stall? Is the area already concrete? I’m very interested as I bumped an indoor wash rack way up my priority list recently.

The area was once used for dog kennels, so yes, it’s concrete and all slopes to a channel at the back which leads to the drain. It’s a really nice set up, actually. Good lighting, electric and water already right there. Should be a simple conversion!

1 Like

That’s awesome! Should be a sweet set up!

1 Like