Unlimited access >

F150 V6 turbo for hauling

we had the vacuum pump fail on our F350 diesel which basically give you no brakes as power boost is not there, fortunately the failure occurred on Long straight offramp which allowed the use of the trailer brakes to bring the rig (with horses) to a stop

Bad thing was we had just had a “complete” brake job done of the truck. Went back to the service center told them that a Complete Brake job on a diesel better include the vacuum pump in the future. That pump only cost $38 and took about five minutes to replace

I have always owned older trucks so brake lines rusting through happens, although next time I would replace all the lines at the same time and not just front or rear.

I also had the parking mechanism that transmits from your gear shift to the part in your truck “fall off?”
Luckily I was at home and even luckier my husband was also home as I couldn’t take my foot off the brake and truck/trailer was stuck in drive.

But yep, thank God for the emergency brake part of the trailer brakes

1 Like

This thread is kind of giving me hope!! My next daily driver will probably be the truck I’ll use to haul (currently relying on friends to get off property when I’m able, barn owner available in case of emergency vet hauling). I’ve been loathing the idea of driving around a V8 Diesel truck to commute for 50+ miles per day in the work week because I’ve always thought a V8 diesel truck is what I need to safely haul my one horse.

I’ve been told “it’s better to have more truck than you think you need” in terms of hauling, and while my dream trailer is a straight load with living quarters, I REALISTICALLY see myself hauling a max of two horses for trips that are 4 hours or less and getting a hotel or Air BnB rather than paying for a campsite to hook up my trailer. If I can use a daily driver type of truck (F-150 V6 with ecoboost) to do that, then I probably save myself money in the gas an maintenance departments.

1 Like

AMEN!!!

1 Like

Keep in mind the 1/2 ton diesel too! I have a GMC Sierra diesel that is my daily driver truck and I do 40+ miles driving to work and it averages about 30mpg. Hauls great too.

1 Like

I am gonna say there is NO way I’d haul a true living quarter trailer with ANY half ton. There was a manufacturer that advertised that it was possible to haul their LQ with a half ton but they had to remove all those ads because it was not true.

What you COULD do is haul a smaller trailer (BP or GN) with an insulated dressing room and a 30amp hook up and maybe an AC unit depending on where you live and you’d be fine. I camp for YEARS in the insulated dressing room of my bumper pull. Lights, heat, bed, cooler or propane stove, coffee maker, done. I’ve never camped anywhere that didn’t at the very least have pit toilets.

2 Likes

I’m with you. I MIGHT haul a two-horse for short trips with a F-150 but would be nervous the whole time. Anytime I’m hauling horses, it’s a F250 or better.

That old Ford straight 6 was a beast of an engine. My engineer father loved it and said the configuration was the best because it was perfectly balanced. I bought mine in 1993 and still have it! :slight_smile:

I hear diesel engines last longer, too? I’m the type of person who will “drive it till the wheels fall off.” My current car is 11 years old and I’m hoping to get a few more years out of it. Maybe a half ton diesel is worth the investment. Of course, if the price difference between a half ton and 3/4 ton is nominal, then maybe I’ll just go with the bigger guy.

Oh absolutely - I probably wouldn’t do a gooseneck at all with a half ton. I hear goosenecks are safer to haul…. But at the same time, I’m a weekend local show rider - I don’t need a big truck and a big trailer to get me where I want to go at this stage in my riding career.

Older diesels would last longer. The newer ones with all the emissions stuff on them - questionable.

2 Likes