Unlimited access >

Fair price to pay/ask for a solid citizen, hill topper horse??

So the correct summary of this situation is that you have a 12 yo open broodmare that hasn’t been ridden in 4 years that you are not willing to ride, not willing to pay to have rides/training put on, not willing to ship to an area with a better market, not willing to lease or consign and doesn’t suit your local market?

And you want to know what a fair price for her is as is?

I believe that is free to a good home.

8 Likes

She sounds lovely. But I think anyone looking would consider it a risk. A lot of people retire horses to be broodmares specifically because they weren’t sound or suitable. Which doesn’t sound AT ALL like what is going on here, but realistically speaking, that’s what people will worry about when it comes to laying down the money. A lot of people buying hunt horses want to be able to hunt the horse, and/or want a recommendation from a master at a hunt the horse has hunted with. Even if the master or another prominent hunt member vouched for her being fabulous, it might be hard for someone to trust that the master was recollecting the right horse, etc. And because the mare isn’t going under saddle, a potential buyer can’t even really try the horse, so it’s just really up in the air as to whether or not it would even be a match once the buyer had invested in some re-training. I think your best bet is to focus on finding her a quality home and less on the sale price.

3 Likes

I didn’t “set” a price …I asked opinions…which I have gotten…Thank You. The mare had a foal this spring…we do not breed back with a foal at side. FWIW…the man who had her hunting in Va. priced her…YESTERDAY at $15,000…I will probably send her to him. FWIW…local riders are asking anything fro $35 to $65/per ride which would serioously affect the net sale value…if I could find someone to even ride…and I’m too old crippled up from an old broken leg/knee to put hours in the tack. I don’t HAVE to sell her…and I do not plan to give her away and hope she doesn’t land in a kill pen. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I can see that paying that much to get her fit would put you off.
However I agree with everyone else to sell her as a hunter people are going to want to hunt her.
i have seen a lot of nice horses not take to the hunt field.
For that very reason you need to see them in the field.
I have several horses and when I am bringing a horse back my husband will take the horse on the trail with a golf cart.
Most horses take to it fairly quickly and you could put a lot of conditioning on the horse before paying a rider.

1 Like

What a great option. Someone who knew her previously, when she was fit and going, is the perfect person to represent her.

Hope it works out well for you and the mare.

2 Likes

Thank you.