Unlimited access >

Farm + Old House .....Anyone Else Live from Crises to Crises?

Aging out Baby Boomer here. I could go on another 10 years I think, but not my husband. He aged about 20 years in the last 5 years, one injury or health issue after another (He’s only 73 but seems 93). I can keep up with everything outside, but the house itself is killing me. I’ve had to get a Handyman to do stuff inside that my husband would have easily done. Thank God I’m partners with my neighbor on the Pecan side, and he keeps the tractors and harvesters going. I’m feeling a bit down with these issues. Lost my best buddy Farm Cat in May, husband went downhill in June. I’m living in a Nursing Home it seems and not able to be out and doing as much as I would like. The thought of selling just kills me, but I see it coming loud and clear. I just hope the economy rebounds so I can get enough money to live on. Also, I love every inch of this place, I hope to pass it on to someone like me, just decades younger. But I absolutely wouldn’t have missed this journey for anything.

14 Likes

Nothing I can do but a virtual hug. I see that in my future too. And like you, I wouldn’t have missed the journey I am on; but Lord the landing looks like it is going to be hard.

4 Likes

Owning a farm is saying “next week will be easier” over and over until you die.

10 Likes

One yr Gramps didn’t fix the old tractor so he didn’t keep up with pasture mowing. So I made him go out and help me hand cut and burn the ironweed.

So now age has happened and tractor broke again and I no longer care.

1 Like

Definitely!!! The original house is 80 years old with 2 additions - nothing flows, 2 kitchens, 2 dining rooms, but not a duplex. The barns are pole barns. The rats showed up about 1 1/2 weeks after we moved in - I think they had a lookout posted! We have this running list of what needs to be done and we’re always behind. Sometimes the stress is too much!

2 Likes

It’s not really a farm, but a late 80’s log home with a roof pitch suitable for a blizzard that will never happen in middle Georgia. We have been chasing a roof leak since we moved in and finally relented and replaced the whole roof, whereupon it leaked WORSE around the chimney. Months of pestering the roofers who finally admitted that they could not fix it, nor could they hire a stone mason to fix it because their insurance wouldn’t cover it, they are only roofers not general contractors. So we finally found a mason and this week both of them are out here hopefully FINALLY fixing the roof.

I am done with the horses at home thing. The maintenance on this place is just too much. We are making a plan to sell and move somewhere lakefront so DH can go fishing.

3 Likes