Unlimited access >

Favorite horsey smells

General smells I love:

New hay bales
Horse grain
Spring grass in the pasture

Specific smells I love:
my horse’s breath (he likes to sniff into my face and nose, play with my ears) and individual smell.

2 Likes

Absorbine & sweat.

One afternoon toward the end of OCS I was walking by the House of Pain (drill instructors’ office) and it smelled…good? Took me minute to realize that Right Guard spray + sweat/BO smells like a barn.

1 Like

And the ointment AfterBite smells like a tack room. :smiley:

Guinness Stout

I found this stuff on line so it must be true…

Recommended feeding of beer for horses:

Horses in moderate work/training: ½ cup once a day. Guinness can be fed as needed after a hard training session, after a competition, or during a period of high heat and or high humidity.

For some horses with anhidrosis, dark beers can help alleviate this condition. This beer option may be more cost-effective than using a supplement for anhidrosis. Of course with suspected anhidrosis, a visit with your veterinarian is in order.

Benefits of Beer

Surprisingly, beer has some nutritional benefits. It contains B vitamins, folate, niacin, and various minerals. However, most complete feed programs also offer these benefits.

In order to ferment sugars from the grains, yeast is added to beer. This yeast may offer some benefits to your horse’s gut. Similar yeast is often found in probiotic supplements. When looking at different beers, choose an unfiltered one. Filtered beers don’t contain yeast. Ultimately, there may not be enough for your horse to actually benefit.

I used to work at a barn where this horse got a bottle of Guinness with his evening feed. Turned it into a slop. He got a bunch of other weird supplements too. His stall smelled absolutely horrid.

There’s a hoof cream that I can’t remember the name of that just smells lovely. Like vanilla.
Marigold coat spray
Clean leather
Alfalfa Hay or grass hay - I’ve been known to follow a hay truck down the highway with my windows down just to smell the hay.
I don’t feed it, but the smell of sweet feed always smelled so good
My horse Spud, he has his own particular horsey smell and I bury my nose in his coat while he hugs my back.

2 Likes

A handful of grain
Alfalfa cubes
Tack shop
Skin So Soft
Murphy’s
The way my hands smell after cleaning tack
The stable yard waking up in early Spring
Barn cats sitting/sleeping on saddles
The jeans I rode in and hung up to ride in again tomorrow
A sun-warmed car with chaps in the hatch
Oily hoof dressing
The whiff of leather as you lift the flap to tighten the girth
We know our own tack trunks by fragrance alone. Every trunk smells different — but every trunk smells good.
Unwrapping used polos
My grooming apron as I pull it over my head
Crochet gloves

3 Likes

Another vote for freshly spread pine shavings.

1 Like