Unlimited access >

Favourite reins?

Those Comfort Connect reins look very interesting! Are they dressage show legal?
I have bad arthritis in my hands, and love the pimply biothane reins- various makers. They are very flexible but thick enough to hold comfortably and look nice.
MissusS- check out Pleasant Ridge Saddlery in Ontario, they have black ones for sale with hand stops for a very reasonable price. The leather on them probably isn’t great quality but that’s not the part you hold.

1 Like

hahahahaha
…a protective layer of slime! luv-it
i practice benign neglect too…especially in regards to grooming

1 Like

I don’t believe the Correct Connect reins are legal. Here’s the USEF language:

Reins with hand-loop - NOT LEGAL, unless accompanied by a Presidential Modification or Dispensation Certificate allowing this style rein as a compensating aid.

Those CC reins don’t have any hand loop, weird picture angle though.

Got it - they looked like loops from that angle!

So, it’s big squishy grips? I’m picturing bigger chunks of Thinline material. Is that close?

The rules say, “A rein is a continuous, uninterrupted strap or line from the bridle bit to the hand. Rein additions or attachments are not permitted.”

I’m not savvy enough on the nuances to know what’s an addition/attachment (heck - I had trouble distinguishing “bold patterns” in the updated attire rules :))

It’s probably worth checking in with USEF ahead of time if you’re thinking about showing in them.

1 Like

Why did I think the Correct Connect reins were velcro?

They make about 5 different types, the Velcro+gloves was the first, this is the latest

My favorites, and I hunt them down to collect because they’ve become hard to find.

1 Like

The Correct Connect reins with the Correct Connect gloves! I finally stopped fiddling with rein length thanks to these!

I recently purchased the BR leather reins from Hypostore in the Netherlands and they are by far my new favorite reins ever. I like the grip on one side with the subtle hand stops while still looking nice. Good price too! I’ve only had them for about a month, so I can’t speak to their durability yet, but so far, they’re the winners!

The Correct Connect reins I posted earlier are legal. Brought them to the TD at a recognized show last week. She emailed those of authority & I got the green light.

Benign neglect for grooming has a lot going for it. Both my horses have really great tails, especially for TBs. I brushed them out last weekend for a show after not touching them since last fall except to trim the bottom every few months

Method: Spray heavily with Vetrolin shine 48 hours before and through out into the sun. Liberal Cowboy Magic detangler and then careful comb out. I might have lost 12 hairs?

2 Likes

I have a pair of the Connect Reins and the gloves but I haven’t tried them. Anyone interested I will sell them way below retail.

I have Thinline reins and they are a bit too thick for my hands, so I don’t use them.

I have a pair of Nunn Finer soft pebble rubber reins, love them! They are a bit too short for my mare so I switched up to the PS of Sweden soft reins, leather on one side, rubber on the other, with grips. Love these reins as I have smallish hands and they work well for me.

As another poster said, you don’t have to leave the reins on for other students to use. Just swap out before your lesson or ride time

If they are the Connect ones I have pictured above I’ll take them. If they are the velcro ones I’ll pass.

I have been using the Dyon Adjustable reins and have really liked the rubber hand stops.

Bumping this back up to mention that the June 22 updates to Annex A now call out some models of Correct Connect as not being legal

Full file is here - https://www.usef.org/forms-pubs/96D17lSsaCo/annex---bits-saddlery-equipment

i change out reins depending on the horse. As of yesterday, my green noodle began giving me a big swinging walk, a big improvement!, and he will turn when asked, even learning to sharpen his corners. We began some turn on the fore and a teensie bit of lateral along the quarterline. So, problem is he’ll still…just stop and unravel a bit. Because i need to have a slidey-er rein i’m going to have to switch from a well oiled and super soft laced rein to a flat. I need to let him slip and also need to slide the reins back in super smoothly to bring him back gently. As a horse comes up i change bits and reins a few times. My mare ended up back in laced reins. They may change again, she’s not ‘done’ yet.