Feed suggestions for Sweet itch/neck worms?

If you haven’t actively treated for NTWs with the double-dose Equimax/ivermectin deal, do that this year.

Spirulina has helped enough allergy horses to try it

Cetirizine may help prevent the histamine reaction

4 Likes

So many trainers and vets have scoffed at this idea, but it is literally the only thing that worked for my horse.

2 Likes

Thanks, I hadn’t heard of spirulina before. I’ve never delt with sweet itch like this before so i was slow to realize what was going on last year. By then it was just damage control and trying to stop her from hurting herself. I want to be as ready as possible this year.

1 Like

most poo-poo it until they see it work

1 Like

Me too. Remarkable results.

2 Likes

Are you sure it is worms? Sweet itch is an allergy. And allergies in horses tend to get worse with age. We are doing allergy shots for my horse in the hopes he can handle the bugs this spring (he is allergic to all of them, not just the no see ums).

Flax
MSM
Spirulina
Citronella based fly spray. It works best to keep the culliciodes gnats (that are typically the cause for sweet itch) at bay
Turnout after a breeze has picked up in the AM and back in the stall before the breeze dies down in the PM. For my horse that was essentially 10AM - 5/6PM during fly season. Culliciodes are notoriously poor fliers and once the breeze is over 5 or so MPH they are much less of a problem.
Keep horse clean. Manure/urine odor is a strong draw for gnats. My guy loves to sleep in his wet spot every night. I ended up putting a rain sheet on him to keep him cleaner (and washing him with water as needed when it wasn’t too cold for that. I don’t like to shampoo often and strip the skin of protective oils.)
Benadryl tablets at the first sign of any itching in order to break the itch cycle. He then stays on it until the end of the summer. It’s dirt cheap; less than $10 for the season supply @ Sam’s Club

There used to be a website that listed many original source/research studies that I learned a lot from. Unfortunately they seemed to have removed the source material and now have a heavy emphasis on supplements/products that they make and sell. I did not find the need or benefit of their expensive products as long as I followed the general concepts their “program” is based on - common sense stuff as I’ve listed above.

It takes time but it does work. My horse went from bloody raw mane, tail, and belly from April until late fall at the time he first came to me to today needing only a daily fly spray in the AM before turnout. Occasionally in mid summer he needs a few weeks of fly boots, but it’s rare. He has been essentially itch free for 5 years with these suggestions.

I had one that turned out to be allergic to flax! The more I fed him, the more he itched!

The bad thing about NTWs is the symptoms of the allergy to the migrating juveniles coincides with noseeum season, so it’s a trial and error to figure out which it is

1 Like

She is textbook for NTW symptoms unfortunately. I just wanted to update on what I’ve decided on for feed incase anyone else reads this. :slightly_smiling_face: Based on ease of availability I ended up going with a mix of Triple Crown balancer, Blue Seal Sentinel Sr, Hay pellets, flax seed and will get Solitude for flys when that starts. I have another slightly harder to keep horse then her, and we’re short on grass and pasture so thought this mix will cover all the bases feed wise. I’ll see how it goes and adjust accordingly. Still on the fence about getting a Boett blanket because they are pricey but so highly recommend I’ll probably do it. Otherwise we are stocked up with ivermectin, masks and wraps, fans and sprays and ointments of all kinds :joy: Plus a list of other things to add or try if necessary. Hopefully now that i understand the situation, we can keep it under control :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

keep in mind that for some reason, a LOT of people find they needed to start with Equimax. There’s no good reason the addition of praziquantel should make a difference, but somehow it does. So consider that if you don’t see results with the first couple of double ivermectin doses. “Results” can mean getting better, OR worse as the microfilaria die off.

1 Like

I will add it! What’s the protocol for that? 2 does at once or?

Yep, the protocol (and yes, many vets are 100% on board with this, it’s very safe (barring of course the rare exception)) is double dose by weight (so a 2000lb dose for a 1000lb horse) at once, every 2 weeks. People who do this generally do 2-3 of those doses, 2 weeks apart each, before deciding if it’s working (improvement or degredation are both “working”) and then usually switch to plain ivermectin for as long as necessary, which is often the rest of the Summer.

Thanks, your help is much appreciated!

1 Like

Just one more question… When should i start double dosing ? I really really want to get ahead of it and not wait until she starts itching.
Ok two questions 🤦 after starting the plain ivermectin, is that a double dose also or just regular for her weight.
We had a like 3 warm enough days that gnats came out and she was immediately itching a little bit. Its going to snow tonight now, our weather is very unpredictable until April.

I always heard Equimax, and used it double dose twice. … not straight ivermectrin.

1 Like

As my comment said, most do DD Equimax, and then switch to DD ivermectin, but some get results right off with DD plain ivermectin.

The giant thread on this has all kinds of scenarios that worked for people, so it’s not all that black and white. Just generally, people seem to have the best results if they start with DD Equimax, but that doesn’t mean you can’t try plain ivermectin

From the big thread on this, people seem to start a few weeks before noseeum season starts, since that’s generally when NTW microfilaria also start their movement.

I also don’t know if you should start right off with DD ivermectin, or would likely be ok with single doses. You might need to comb through the giant thread unless someone else who has done that has some info on what worked for them.

Yesh, I’m sorry I wasn’t clear, I ment doing the double Equimax first the 2 weeks apart, then using Ivermectin for the rest of the season. I just wasn’t sure on the timing. Much of what I’ve read is people starting it after the horse is already itching. Mine was making herself bleed and scratched on everything and anything possible anytime she was awake. Nothing I did could break the cycle, I didn’t know about the worming thing until the very end of the season. Thats why i want to get ahead of it as much as possible this year. I gather alot of it is going to be played by ear as we see what happens this year and how she reacts. I’ve seen where some worm every 2 weeks, 4 weeks, once a month, every other month, double dosing each time, or only one dose … 🤷

I can’t seem to find the big thread, only mentions of it.

Here you go!

I was only trying to support your thread. Sorry you took it otherwise.
Generally no need to be defensive.