Unlimited access >

Feeding Puppies: Food Evaluation Spinoff (LONG!)

I do. There are quite a few adult kibbles that meet puppy requirements, and 6 Fish is one of them.

I had a male lab. The breeder fed Orijen He had lots of diarrhea from it. I switched him. However that was 15 years ago (roughly) and it was grain free.

Warning - more info than you probably ever wanted to know! :rofl:

In the US the nutrient profile for dog food is established by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). These are the main differences between a “puppy” food and an “adult” food on a dry matter basis per AAFCO based on the most recent report I could find online for free:

Puppy (Growth & Reproduction)
-Crude protein: 22.5% minimum
-Crude fat: 8.5% minimum
-Calcium: 1.2% min, 1.8% max (for large breed dogs)

Adult Maintenance
Crude protein: 18.0% minimum
Crude fat: 5.5% minimum
Calcium: 0.5% min, 2.5% max

Essentially “puppy” food has higher minimums for protein/fat and a different calcium range than an adult food.

However, if a dog food meets both the puppy/growth and the adult maintenance profiles, it can be labeled as an “all life stages.” There should be a statement on the bag somewhere noting it’s AAFCO status. There is one additional caveat related to large breed puppies - their calcium maximum is lower. The statement should note this with something along these lines:

[Pet Food Name] is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for growth/all life stages including growth of large-size dogs (70 lbs or more as an adult).

[Pet Food Name] is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for growth/all life stages except for growth of large-size dogs (70 lbs or more as an adult).

So even if the labeled name doesn’t say “puppy” if it’s an AAFCO all life stages it’s just fine (depending on the calcium needs of your puppy).

A food that’s just an AAFCO “adult maintenance” isn’t appropriate for a puppy though.

IMO use of a puppy-specific dog food was a lot more important in the past. Given the prevalence these days of the “premium” high protein/fat formulas you have a lot more options if you go for an all life stages vs. puppy. Use of puppy in the name is really now more of a marketing/perception thing.

1 Like

It looks like the Six Fish (this is from the Amazing Grains version, but the regular Six Fish says the same thing) doesn’t meet the AAFCO standards for large puppies. Our pup is a golden but is 38lbs at 5 months (and is trim - ribs are easily felt, personally I’d like a few lbs on him). I think we are going to put our older dog on the Six Fish Amazing Grains (or maybe the regular 6 fish? The grain vs grain-free thing makes my head spin) and pup will transition on to it once he is older. He is a bit itchy with darker, redder fur on his paws (no excessive paw chewing just general scratching) but it’s been less than 2 weeks on the Orijen so maybe it will improve. I do have fish oil I can start him on too.
ETA: