Unlimited access >

Feeding the Cushing's horse to *GAIN* weight

[/quote]
I didn’t even see anyone ask if the OP’s horse is even on Prascend, how long ago he was put on it, etc.
[/quote]

My bad… I assumed the horse was on Prascend when I wrote my comment above about the medication causing loss of appetite.

(Can’t figure out how to quote… not enough coffee.)

you have an extra “/” in the first one

1 Like

It’s easy to assume these days that a confirmed PPID horse is on medication, and you’re not wrong about the appetite :slight_smile:

2 ways - what you wrote WOULD work if you removed the / in front of the first “quote”

The other way is to highlight the text you want, and a gray QUOTE box pops up that you can click and it will do all the formatting

1 Like

I would also NOT recommend calling an 800 number on the back of a feed bag and talking to whomever answers. It’s terrifying how little many of them know about feeding normal horses, let alone special needs :frowning: Some companies do have a properly educated person you can ask to speak to. I have seen it very hit and miss with Purina.

And unless your Ag Extension Agency has an actual equine nutritionist, or ARPAS-certified person, they aren’t who I’d turn to either, not for a special needs horse

2 Likes

I used high quality alfalfa for my hard keeping Cushings horse. I love to feed alfalfa whenever possible, however, obviously my fat Cushingoid horses do not get it. It is not always easy to source great quality straight alfalfa, and with Cushings, you do not want, as an example, alfalfa/timothy. The sugar in the timothy heads is no bueno for a horse with metabolic issues.

It kept him in great weight, and is just wonderful for a horse in so many other ways.

1 Like

Thanks all! Yes, the horse is on Prascend and bloodwork is monitored a couple times a year. I definitely want to keep the sugar low, but going too low on the calories isn’t working for this horse - and this doesn’t seem to be as common as horses who need to lose weight.

I’ve had different oils recommended, and I’ve also had others say don’t feed oil to a Cushing’s horse. While I know every horse is an individual, I’m glad to hear in this thread that feeding oil has worked for some horses. I should also be able to get Triple Crown, so if Triple Crown Senior Gold is a good option, I also don’t want to skip over it because of 11.4% instead of 10%. Thanks @WNT for the calculations!

1 Like

It’s very typical to have a hard(er) time getting and keeping weight on a PPID horse. Many of them do get into a better place when medication gets ACTH in a reasonable range, but not all

It’s not that you can’t use oil. It’s that it shouldn’t be the first addition or increase, and it’s a good idea to use a little as possible, and then, as you’re doing, keep checking metabolic stats to make sure things are ok.

Let us know if the Sr Gold helps! Keep in mind it’s only independent retailers who can get it, so no Tractor Supply.

Triple Crown Senior Gold, it’s 11.4% NSC and 1800 calories/lb. My elderly PPID gelding has flourished on it!