Unlimited access >

FEI restricting video rights

So you can’t post a video of your own horse?

Nope. Great way to attract owners, sponsors and fans eh.

5 Likes

We can argue the “rights” of the crappy streaming job FEI TV and clip my horse TV (and yes I subscribe to them) does but the reality is the timing of this statement is just stupid and short sighted.

13 Likes

And also, they don’t film and show every single ride, do they? If not, then some owners/riders would not be able to show video of their ride.

2 Likes

Nope they routinely leave many riders without coverage.

This is all about broadcasting and media rights. It’s not new, it’s been in the FEI for a few years now. It’s just raising a fuss because everyone thinks it’s an attempt to cover up recent nefarious behavior. It only applies to the REALLY BIG events. NBC is extremely possessive of their Olympic broadcasting rights; they will go after any live streaming of events on facebook or youtube. But I’m not sure they will waste energy going after a rider posting a 20 second clip of themselves clearing jumps 15abc. I think the FEI has to use language that they protect ALL broadcast rights (that they sell to specific broadcasters) so they can sell them as “exclusive” and not be up against a third party trying to live stream the World Equestrian Games.

If you ever watched an NFL game on TV, you probably heard: “This telecast is copyrighted by the NFL for the private use of our audience. Any other use of this telecast or any pictures, descriptions, or accounts of the game without the NFL’s consent is prohibited.” That’s just to protect the broadcasting rights sold to NBC/CBS/FOX/ESPN. Does the NFL actually prosecute fans who post pictures/video of the games? No. But if a fan tries to pirate the ESPN channel and stream it live on youtube, they WILL get shut down.

I still think it’s a dumb rule to prevent riders from posting about themselves, but let’s see how much it’s actually enforced. A groom posting on instagram of the horse trotting down centerline for 10 seconds probably isn’t going to get the death penalty. But a groom livestreaming the whole ride on a public facebook page is going to be illegal.

9 Likes

Well I watched the world cup & almost everybody was filming on their phones from the kiss and cry so…

1 Like