Unlimited access >

Female dogs (update: adventures in puppying)

what are you going to call him?

He is so cute… i must resist the urge to look on petfinder for a puppy.

I have a pack of four female GSD’s and a female Chinese Crested. We have absolutely zero issues.

The GSD’s are absolute angels - all unrelated. One is the most perfect dog ever put on this earth and I would confidently trust her around a newborn baby. Our middle child is our grunt - she is the guardian. She has a high alert drive but she loves her people and as long as we tell her it’s okay, she knows it’s okay, but we are mindful of her. The baby was kicked out of the therapy dog program because she wants to cuddle everyone and everything.

The Crested is SASSY, but that’s why we chose her, we knew she could set her own boundaries. She makes an awesome farm dog.

Congratulations on your new cutie! I am glad I have a busy schedule and a voice of reason, otherwise i’d probably have 1932403 dogs.

1 Like

Adorable - worked out just the way it was meant to be - enjoy - thanks for pics !

On the original subject- female dogs.

My sister has two (now 14 yo) female Jack Russels (different litters about a month apart in age, but both acquired as puppies) and they get on well.

We currently have a female Shiba Inu and a female Estrela Mountain Dog. The Shiba Inu’s nickname is “Mrs. Grumps”, but she is no more grumpy with the female EMD than she was with the previous male EMD.

Earlier we had a female Jindo and a female Samoyed, and they got on well.

I know there are SOME cases of females that don’t get on, but I don’t think it is the majority.

Update 2: he is home! No name yet but working on something. Currently he is unsure, but considering he just let mom and 2 siblings behind I think that’s reasonable. Jazzy took to him right away! yay! Actually she wanted to play with him but he wasn’t quite sure what to do with this new strange, big dog. But he is happily hanging out with her and sniffing. And he is currently napping quietly in his crate… double yay!

BF1E39F1-0F43-4D5A-AEDA-F711518A3375
CEA959AF-4A57-4EA1-B1F0-9C5BE945DEA5
C14AAAD3-FF7E-41D7-9C13-A73601719E8F

6 Likes

Her being so good with him is wonderful. We have 3 girls at the moment who do fine together and have had multiple dogs of all breeds/ crosses be just fine. We have had 99.9% females but the 2 males we have had were no issue.

He is adorable. His name will come to you.

I had bitch wars. Older dog and puppy were totally bonded for the first 3 years. Then puppy decided that she didn’t have to submit to Older dog. Older dog insisted that she did. Didn’t matter that both were spayed. It was the personalities. Kept them separate for years until Older dog passed. No fun flipping dogs.

2 Likes

He is super cute!! And I am so happy Jazzy wants to play with him. They will be wrassling soon enough.

Keep posting pictures!

1 Like

He’s adorable! You’re off to a good start!

If she is Jazzy, what about Louie (Armstrong) or Raggy (Ragtime)? You knew this would turn into a naming thread eventually, right? :grin: He’s precious!

1 Like

Joplin? For Scott Joplin?

:grin:

3 Likes

Ooh! Perfect!

Well we are 5 days in with the new puppy. Things are going pretty well I think. He had a vet appt Thurs for shots/worming and got a clean bill of health. And since then he is coming out of his shell to alternate between cuddly puppy and Velociraptor. Jazz is not thrilled about the bitey puppy development and keeps her distance a good bit. She will bark and correct him if he gets too much but I try to run some interference to keep him from getting there. She will play with him still in about 10-15 min spurts but otherwise she is currently the annoyed big sister that is far too cool for him. We are working on a few little commands for food. Mostly sit and wait at meal times. He picked up on sit very quickly at least so I’ll start adding more commands in little spurts. House breaking is actually going well with crate training… I keep him on a fairly consistent schedule and he does his business outside. I’m thinking of getting him a bell so he can learn to tell me when he needs to go. Jazzy just comes and gets you to take her out and she doesn’t like to stay out so when she asks you know why.

Anyhow here are more puppy pics and a quick video if it will load

E0736B03-D7C8-4D27-8CE9-3CF285FF34F0

DCF42346-1279-4C94-BD1A-FAF323C75E74
0ACE84A6-410A-4592-828C-AB1F18E8D357
This one is a video. If you click on it, it should play

4 Likes

I love the puppy plop! You can’t see me, I am laying flat…ARRGGG!!

So cute, have you come up with a name yet?