Unlimited access >

Fencing

Yes, broodmares with foals. Dogs are a current issue but always a concern for me.

I just did some quick and dirty math on what it would take to do my pasture fresh and the wire alone came out to something like $20k, fencing is ridiculous! Of course, I would need about 1.5 miles done so…

Yes, broodmares with foals. Dogs are a current issue but always a concern for me.

for us there was another concern, Kids

We have three schools within near distance, sidewalk to middle school is in front (our Great Pyrenees believes it Her Side Walk thus barks at every one who uses it),but under advice form our insurance carried we double common areas, leaving a no mans land between the exterior fence and the stock fence.

Same here. My husband liked the look of neighbors post and rail, fence but I wanted net for exactly this reason.

I have lovely 4 rail fence, which is great for keeping my horses in, absolutely useless for keeping my neighbor’s dog out. So now the dog has twice now chased my horses in their paddocks, growling and snapping. And now my neighbors hate me because I had the temerity to tell them they had to do something to stop this from happening, and they don’t think they need to change a thing. It was pretty ugly, including name calling (on their part). So something to think about.

2 Likes

If you want to borrow my gelding let me know.:grin: He loves to throw dogs over the fence or stomp them into oblivion.

After my neighbors saw him go after their dog, they are much more responsible.

It’s funny as he doesn’t bother my dog or goats, just the neighbors dogs

4 Likes

Yes this is my fear hence the wire mesh. I know I can’t totally prevent dogs and other animals from getting in but I feel like it will greatly reduce the chances.
I’m not sure what I would do if a neighbors dog injured one of my mares, or worse, my foals.

A side note, one of my future residents was born today!
Perfect little stud colt. Bay with 4 white legs, bald face and 2 blue eyes. His recip mama is THE best! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Now he just needs a name!

6 Likes

I have not read every reply carefully so this may have been mentioned.

I have this fence (2x4 non-climb (why do we call it that??) with a top board). Mine is 60" with the top board overlapped so a bit taller overall – I build horse fortresses so I can sleep at night.

I did not bother with electric, nobody is tall enough to lean on a 5’ fence. Even chewing on it is hard. If you have any issues though, the electric may be worth it.

What I will say though is make SURE to concrete and brace the corner posts. Are you doing 90 degree corners or a curve? Anywhere it is under tension MUST be braced, or the fence will pull the posts in and the whole thing will sag and you will be very sad.

10’ between posts is stretching it if you want a wood top board. Plus then you can’t overlap the top boards, like you can with a 16’ board and 8’ between posts. The extra posts are worth it IMO, especially with babies running around and potentially bouncing off the fence. This kind of fence works like a volleyball net. You want it to catch them and gently bounce them back away from the fence. It needs good tension to do that.

If I had it to do over I would NOT use a wood top board, I would use a vinyl rail. But then that is more tension, so see above about a LOT of concrete and bracing on those corner posts!

Thank you for the input on concrete on corner posts. I was planning to use large posts for the 3 posts that make up each corner plus bracing. Will definitely reinforce with the concrete as well. Sounds like cheap insurance.

Thanks for the offer! :rofl:

Unfortunately, I wish I could do that to the people, not the dog.

I also heard from our Animal Control Officer (who I’d checked in with for some advice on how to deal) that this dog has bitten another dog and a human. I don’t think things are going to turn out well, although the ACO assured me that the dog will be okay. I’m not sure how long that will go on for.

You could run a couple strands of electric along their side, depending how the dog is coming in. If it’s a short enough run and a big enough charger, he won’t try more than once…

I have come to despise every form of wire fencing over the years as many horses constantly pull shoes off on it. It makes sense with foals or if you co-graze sheep or as perimeter fencing against a walking trail or something. Other than that I think it just lines your farriers pockets.

Interesting, I’ve never had that experience. The facility I work at has all this style fencing and never had a horse catch a shoe in it.
These will be primarily broodmares and babies, all of which are barefoot so I’m not real concerned either way.