Unlimited access >

Finally got that adult dog but is he to much for me to handle?

Yup. This goes for ANY type dog. And if the dog isn’t properly trained to the fence, when the adrenalin rises, many dogs will ignore the underground invisible fence.
To simplify things let’s identify the problems here:

An unfenced yard is not a safe environment for a big dog. Most rescues, breeders have already told her this, by refusing to adopt to her. Hint: Fence your yard.

OP wants a big tough intimidating dog, but is unable or unwilling to control or train it to comply.
OP does not want to spend $$ to hire a trainer to help with training.

OP is not interested in a milder temperament dog who is probably easier to train and contain.
OP has physical limitations which prohibits adequately exercising dog and providing enrichment.
OP does not want to spend money or time to purchase a more appropriate puppy and train it to be a good family member.
OP refuses to acknowledge there comes a time because of age or disabilities that the dog we
were OK with at a younger age, is totally inappropriate as we age.
OP must change her thinking and accept those things that we cannot change.
If I were a breeder or rescue I would never adopt a dog to OP without a safe yard and willingness to seek out proper training for the dog when it needs it. This is a recipe for disaster.

16 Likes

This is so freaking (sadly) true!
Mr. Trub and I have been talking about what our next dog will be, and we are both agreeing that going smaller is best for us on what will likely be our last dog.

7 Likes

Yes, around here older people snatch up the smaller dogs for companionship, ease of handling plus many little dogs are barky and are great for deterring trespassers.
My 2 little Bichons sounded like fierce guard dogs when someone knocked on my door. Even
Chihuahuas are great at alerting.

2 Likes

Totally. You don’t have to have a big dog to have a BIG BARK!

3 Likes

I agree with most of this BUT I don’t think you necessarily need a fenced yard for a big dog if you’re able to walk the dog, keep the dog’s mind active with regular training, play with the dog, etc. The RR I know best lives in a townhome situation and was from a reputable breeder and does well. The breeder just didn’t want her dogs to go to places where they’d be off leash in an unfenced area.
I like German Shepherds, I train with a lot of people with German Shepherds, and I myself have dogs with a similar temperament … but I think they’re pretty challenging. Maybe it’s just the ones I’ve known, and the working lines.
I know two RR breeders and several in pet homes, and I just haven’t seen any that had much aggression at all. I’ve seen quite a bit of that in German Shepherds (and I like them). I have just never seen RRs as a really really challenging breed (other than perhaps off leash).

1 Like

Ridgebacks are a difficult breed to breed well. They slip off either end into fear bitey or aggressive pretty easily. It sounds like you’ve known some nice ones, but they’re certainly not all like that, and most people seem to have been around the not great ones. My vets are ALWAYS so surprised how nice my dogs are, because they see so many really not awesome ones :-/

IMO, even well bred RR puppies can really be tough cookies for the first year. They’re generally pretty strong willed. They thrive with really consistent handling, but struggle with inconsistency, and can be little terrors in that situation.

I can see a nice companion bred lab doing well for our OP here. Big enough to not be a small dog, trainable, big bark, willing to couch potato it but can still keep up and be active. Not a big grooming challenge. There’s a reason why they’re used as service dogs so often! But that will still be a fairly spendy purchase from a breeder who does the necessary health screening.

A better option would be to provide the local shelters with a (realistic) list of needs and let them get in touch when a good fit comes in. I knew a heeler/border collie cross that would be perfect in this sort of situation. She was so trainable, just super willing, but not so smart as to always be out thinking the person (hahaha), game for pretty much anything, and super happy in the house. Big bark! Weighed about 30#s. Tough to go out looking for a specific cross, but shelters are usually pretty good at figuring out where a dog will fit best when it comes in…

3 Likes

Or any of the flock guarding breeds.

That’s interesting. The ones I’ve known are from the two breeders I know, and I haven’t seen anything even close to fear bitey or aggressive ever.

I think a mature black lab could work. I personally think that the idea that you won’t have issues if you raise them from a puppy can be … wrong, but maybe I’m just bad at raising puppies. An awful lot of temperament is, in my experience, just the dog. I have 2 females of the same breed from the same breeder (different lines) and they’re quite different. One is the type of dog that could probably go live with just about anyone, including an older person on a farm without a fence, and be totally fine. She’s just very laid back and has been since she was about 1. The other one … can live very few places. More protective, more stranger danger, more energy, more phobic of noise, lots of prey drive. Love them both for different reasons.

2 Likes

No, I agree, there are no guarantees. But I do think that if you know–really know–what kind of dog you need, and select someone who is breeding that type of dog specifically for generations, and focus on training the things that are important to you when it’s young…that stacks the deck BIG-TIME in your favor that you’re going to have an adult dog that works with your life.

Some things are just so hard to install in an adult dog that knows it has an option. A solid recall is such a good example. If they don’t learn as babies that come means COME HERE NOW NO EXCEPTIONS it can be so hit or miss if you’ll ever get there with a grown dog. At least IME, maybe you’ve had better luck.

But yeah, sometimes you’re still surprised and you have to rise to the occasion or decide it’s not the dog for you and find another way. With your difficult dog, is that temperament a surprise? Or has that breeding produced dogs like that before?

3 Likes

Oh that temperament is more typical of the breed protective, reserved) than the other one by far. The easy one was the surprise ; )
I wouldn’t say she has an incorrect temperament for that breed - just more of a working temperament than the other.

It’s not the dog getting loose that’s the problem. It’s that if you crash or slam on the brakes or or the dog takes a 90 and you end up on the ground gripping that leash, you run the risk of causing SIGNIFICANT damage to your dog via the prong collar. Prong collars can puncture a dogs neck with enough force. The two of you cruising at biking speed and then you suddenly … not… is a hell of a lot more force than just you two walking and him lunging while you stop. Basic physics and no, it’s not safe and no, you should not have this dog if you think this is going to help.

3 Likes

Blah blah blah. I’m not slamming my brakes or crashing my bicycle and maintaining any kind of grip on a leash held in my hand. Don’t like how I exercise my dog, don’t exercise your dog that way. I’m not the one posting about how my dog is too much for me to handle. All three of the professional dog trainers I’ve worked with have no problem with how I use my equipment. In short, take a hike.

ETA: Furthermore, the dog is on a bike attachment clipped to her harness. Which you would know if you read for comprehension. Physics dictate that should I crash and burn the harness attachment is dragging the dog with the bike. So basically any scenario that involves me crashing the bike and that triggering a catastrophic event with the prong collar is moot as the dog is physically attached to the bike frame. I suppose if I got launched into the air and somehow still held onto the leash that might be an issue, but the only likely cause of a launch is a vehicle strike. In which case I speculate we are both dead anyways.

2 Likes

OMFG :joy::joy::joy:
Please show me any factual evidence of a regular prong collar puncturing a dogs neck, from being pulled on.

Don’t even try to pass off BS photos or stories of dogs having wounds from a collar that had been left on too long.

2 Likes

Please contact the breeder and give this dog up. This will not work out unless you plan to have this dog trained and exercised daily-not a walk but several runs in the day.

This dog and possibly this breed is not for you anymore. You don’t need a “tough” looking dog for protection, a Golden would do just fine, but honestly that would probably be too much for you too, goldens need lots of exercise to be happy also. In fact pretty much every breed does.

6 Likes

Right! I have never heard of such an incident.

I have heard plenty of stories about prong collars breaking and have had that happen using an economy brand.

3 Likes

Oh I believe it can happen. I have no evidence or photos, but it’s certainly not unlikely. I know of people who have used them in a field with a check collar…just so wrong. If a dog gets a 30’ head start before you yank it back on a prong collar - I absolutely believe it could puncture. And yes, on a bicycle, in an accident - of course it’s possible.

A prong collar is a useful training tool, but should only be used in controlled situations. I have used them many times, but would never use them on a dog on a bike or in a situation where it is running “loose” (e.g. more than 4-6 feet from me).

5 Likes

One, I’m not anti-prong. They are a tool that can do good in the right situation and with proper training.

Two, if you are going to say all the photos and stories of dogs being injured by prong collars are BS, then there is nothing I can show you. Not banging my head on a closed mind.

For the rest of you, I’ve seen it myself with a collar riding too low on the neck, the dog on a long line, and a bolting rabbit. Over a dozen puncture wounds on that poor dog’s neck from when that dog hit the end and I have to think an bike accident with a prong on would result in a similar amount of stopping force.

3 Likes

Golly. Looks like bike accidents occur in fairly low numbers. Gee whiz it looks like walking is more dangerous.

I’m doubtful that pics are fixed. But if anyone does a quick Google they will see that odds of fatal accidents for pedestrians is like 1 in 626 and bicycles 1 in 4900. Looks like walking your dog might be far more dangerous regardless of what equipment you use.

1 Like

I can’t see what you’ve posted, but just because there is little chance of a bike fatality does not mean you shouldn’t be cautious. There is only a little chance of puncturing my dog with a prong collar but that doesn’t mean it’s not a bad idea to use one in many situations.

FWIW though, while bike fatalities may not be that likely, I am a cyclist and just about every cyclist I know has taken a spill - some big, some small - and that’s without a dog attached to their bike. It’s not like bike accidents are rare.

3 Likes

My point is that all activities have risks. We mitigate risks as we can. Like wearing helmets when we ride and bicycle.

IMO the odds of an accident happening combined with the odds that I, or any bike rider, would at the time of the accident also maintain their hand grip on the leash also the odds that the accident send me physically away from the dog are pea tiny. That all of that combined plus happens with enough force to puncture the dogs neck? We are much more likely to get struck by a vehicle. That all of the above should happen on a day that I’m using a prong, the risk is so small that no I’m not worried about it.

I imagine the fall risks for those road cycling or mountain riding might be enhanced. I know like two folks that road cycle, but not well enough to know their fall rate. I don’t know many adults that have crashed their bike cruising the neighborhood for fun. Certainly I fall off horses more often than bicycles.