Unlimited access >

Finding a puppy--Nellie is here- 1st birthday Oct 8th pics 9/30

Of course!
Something I would have no problem doing :slight_smile:

1 Like

They are Brittany puppies - so, be warned. :slight_smile: I love the breed but they may not be an ideal “farm dog” depending on what you are looking for. I have two and they are somewhat demanding. If I had a lot of land, I would let them out on their own. But I don’t have that much (20 acres) and I’m bordered by roads, railroad tracks and have neighbors. My dogs can be a half mile away in a minute or two, so if they were determined, they could be miles away before I knew it.

Here they are at 1 day old. :slight_smile:

If you are interested in the breed, I’ll send you details.

11 Likes

This is exactly how I found my current dog. I didn’t want a puppy at the time and the local rescues were frustrating to deal with.
She was just over a year old, had done obedience classes, was spayed and microchipped, and came with food and toys and puppy pictures. I was able to keep using the same vet as well.
It certainly could have gone badly, but I ended up with a great dog. I wouldn’t call her a rescue, it was a rehoming.

Next dog will be a pup from a reputable breeder.

5 Likes

I can’t believe there is a shortage of puppies. Not where I live. A couple of weeks ago the local humane society sent out an E-mail that they had 97 puppies that needed a home. Pronto. Now there is no history on the parents who were probably 57 different varieties and probably 25-50% pit bull. And the local dog rescues have even more puppies. Some of them do spend time with the puppies before they adopt them out and most have been wormed, vaccinated and vet tested. In fact there are so many needing homes that I am reading the shelters will not take any more for a while. However cute they are you would probably do better dealing with a breeder. I don’t know the cost of getting one from a rescue but I do not think most of these rescues are getting rich - a lot of the puppies are sick, worm infested, malnourished and they do have vet costs associated with getting them healthy.

Where do you live? Here in the Northeast (I’m in NY) a lot of the puppies on Petfinder are sponsored by rescue organizations that get them elsewhere.

There are some cross referenced dogs in other locations
so possible for some people to get an out of town dog transported.

These are in Birmingham and Shelby and Chilton County. I know the Birmingham Humane Society used to ( or maybe still does) transports to the northern part of the country. I think Shelby County does too. I don’t know if these transports have slowed down because of Covid or if the number of unwanted puppies has gotten out of control. ( People down here don’t want to make an effort to spay/ neuter.) Either way there is no shortage of dogs looking for homes.

But most of the puppies are Heinz 57 so it is hard to tell what they will grow up to be.

I think one of the Chilton County rescues transports to Camp Happy Tails/ Waggy Tails? in New York.

We actually had a Brittany Spaniel when I was about 11. Great dog and very protective of me.

We have 200 acres here and can’t even see the road we live on. I will have to read up on them and get more info. 11 was a Loooong time ago!

1 Like

Since there was a mention of rescues charging more than you’d want to spend it may be worth pricing out what it would cost out of pocket to spay/neuter, vaccinate, microchip, etc. Even with my rescue discounts a healthy kitten runs me $200 in medical and many $300-400 because of a URI or other needs. People give us grief over a $75 adoption fee when even $250/kitten would average out (excluding food, gas, flea prevention, advertising, website fees, etc). A $300 rescue puppy is likely still a significant savings

8 Likes

Very true.
Truth be told, I’ve had a number of purebred dogs because I like the breed. Even with the same breed and the same breeder, I’ve had dogs with totally different temperaments.
I don’t think there is anything wrong with getting a dog from a reputable breeder, but it’s really no guarantee of what the temperament will be in my experience.

Another vote for dealing with a reputable breeder. I sent very detailed descriptions of what I was looking for in a dog, the lifestyle on offer and my experience in terms of training and management, and asked whether they thought it might be a fit for one of their pups, if they had any available or would soon. The level of support I’ve had is something I’d never imagined and absolutely love. From feeding questions to behavior questions to grooming questions (it’s a a very grooming intensive breed) to training questions, and just generally keeping in touch, the breeder is always there. If the dog ever needs a place, she has one. It’s just what you’d want from a responsible horse breeder / seller, and the dog is just what she was bred for generations to be. Good luck finding your next partner!

5 Likes

These aren’t from a rescue but what I have seen on CL and since you are not supposed to sell pets on CL it is a rehoming fee. I haven’t seen any rescue pups yet as we don’t have any near us that I can find anyways.

We do have a low cost spay / neuter clinic I found out about the next town over. My vet isn’t overly expensive either.

@candyapppy- Just google “Lab puppies Tn.” or “Lab cross puppies Tn.”- a slew of ads come up-
I didn’t check the prices. Nor have you said how far you’d travel to check out a pup. But it seems like there’s quite a few Lab type pups available in your state.

If you’d like, I will volunteer to check facebook for you as there’s dozens of rescue type organizations on there as well as private sellers. PM your location to me and I’ll start searching.

When I was searching for my current GSD, I wanted to adopt a little older GSD, out of the puppy stage so I looked everywhere. I finally found her right in my own county shelter.

I did look at a few rescues by googling a breed and my area but all adult dogs. I want a puppy so I can introduce and socialize her with my goats, horses, cows , pigs, chickens. With an older dog you have no idea how they will be.

My in-laws kept an older stray that showed up here a few years ago. He is a lovely boy, but he cannot be trusted in with the goats and they have never liked him. They can sense his predator attitude. They ignore my dogs.

If you want to search FB for me that would be fine :slightly_smiling_face: I sent you a PM.

2 Likes

THIS!!!
Good show or performance breeders are honest about their dogs and want their non-show & breeding worthy animals to have the best homes they could find. I got my first two fairly rare herding breed pups from a top notch breeder a spay & neuter contract for less than $400 a pup. Her contract basically had the me pay the full prices ($2000) and then she refunded the difference upon proof of spay/neuter as an incentive to actually have it done. And these are GORGEOUS examples of the breed, just not quite what the breeder wanted to propagate her line .

7 Likes

I will look at this as well. I spay/ neuter every dog I have ever had so no problem there.

1 Like

Well, there is a range of normal in every breed. My breed is never going to be the breed you buy that attacks someone who sneaks into your house. Maybe the occasional dog will be suspicious or upset, but the vast majority of them would be easily wooed into silent wagging with a few treats and some “good boys” and “you’re so cuuute” phrases. One of my dogs acts like those reunion videos on Facebook when people come to my house - including people he has never met before. The other is less affectionate, but definitely not unfriendly.

They pretty much epitomize the continuum of the breed in temperament. Even the least friendly Brittany is more friendly than many breeds. If you go to a dog show, you’ll learn (or be told) very quickly which breeds to be careful around - for your own safety and your dogs. It’s not that the dogs are bad - it’s just that their temperament is not outwardly “friendly.” That isn’t correct for many breeds.

Some breeds are expected to be aloof, guarded, cautious of strangers, etc. Some breeds are expected to be rollicking, gay, sweet, calm, etc. and for the most part, they are. But of course, there are ranges of “sweetness” or “aloofness”.

9 Likes

I think you’re exactly right about this. I think that whether a person is going to a breeder or a rescue, having some clarity on priorities is very important. I am the first person to say that there are differences between breeds. If you don’t like, say, dog aggressive dogs, avoid terriers and working breeds. Get a sporting breed. Don’t select a dog where you’re going to be constantly fighting a characteristic that you don’t like.
I suppose I think that sometimes we have to be somewhat flexible when adopting or buying a dog. There are no guarantees, but we can stack the deck in our favor either way.

5 Likes

Well @Marla_100 has PM’d me and I am no longer lacking in puppy choices! I need to see what I can do 

8 Likes

We expect lots of photos once the choice has been made :smile:

2 Likes