Unlimited access >

First hunter derby advice ???

[QUOTE=huntereqrider;7971263]
It is a $500 2’6" hunter derby :)[/QUOTE]

Fun! I did my first one over the summer (I just moved up to 2’6")! Here’s the link to the handy portion. My guess is yours will be similar. My horse is a jumper but we thought this would be fun. She didn’t fare so well in the regular part but was great in the handy (scored an 85)! Have a great time!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H33SzU_UZ-o&feature=youtu.be

They are super fun! I got to participate in a 3’ derby before my guy took a break and switched careers. Ours was in a big derby/jumper field, so we had a lot of galloping and natural obstacles. Our options included a single gate with brush on it (I think we were maybe one of the handful of horses out of a field of 20+ that attempted and went over it) and some rows of fake boulders. Lots of single jumps off a gallop with one bending line and one in and out. Also, we started by opening a mailbox and retrieving a letter, carrying the letter with you through the round (in your pocket), and delivering it to someone at the outgate when done. I wish I still had the video! We were third overall, behind two professionals, and it was by far a highlight of the past 10 years with my guy.

In the weeks prior to the show, our coach made sure we could open gates, handle objects, and we even took a trip off property to go jump cross country jumps. If you have a particularly brave horse, they can really shine here. For everyone, it’s an overall awesome experience.

Cantering from ring to ring or jumping from ring to ring is not the same as entering the ring at the canter, it is part of the course. “Back in the day” it was quite common to start your hunter round in the ring, jump out, go around an outside course and then jump back in. this is part of what hunter derbied want to do, bring back the outside course feel.

At any rate, I don’t see a 2’6" derby including jumping in or out of any ring. Or even cantering for that matter.

[QUOTE=gumshoe;7973627]
At any rate, I don’t see a 2’6" derby including jumping in or out of any ring. Or even cantering for that matter.[/QUOTE]

I did a “classic” round sometime between 98-01 at a C show that was 2’6" and it included jumping out of the main ring into the warm-up, jumping out of the warm-up into the field, jumping a round of field jumps (5?) and then back into the warm-up ring and halting. “Back-in-the-day” and a different course type but not THAT long ago. Since this is the type of thing derbies were designed to bring back I wouldn’t count on it not being a possibility!!!

It’s fairly easy and fun to jump in/out of the ring anyway as it looks exactly like a regular jump with standards and filler and such. I wouldn’t worry about it OP and good luck!

ETA: I will say I’ve never seen in-and-outs or even short (3-4 stride) combinations at the under 3 foot level even in medal courses except for finals.

As much as it pains me to say, 1998 was almost 20 years ago. So yes, “that long ago”. :wink: And heck, 2’3" “hunter pairs” at schooling shows used to jump in/out of the ring. :smiley:

[QUOTE=EvieG13;7973700]
I did a “classic” round sometime between 98-01 at a C show that was 2’6" and it included jumping out of the main ring into the warm-up, jumping out of the warm-up into the field, jumping a round of field jumps (5?) and then back into the warm-up ring and halting. “Back-in-the-day” and a different course type but not THAT long ago. Since this is the type of thing derbies were designed to bring back I wouldn’t count on it not being a possibility!!!

It’s fairly easy and fun to jump in/out of the ring anyway as it looks exactly like a regular jump with standards and filler and such. I wouldn’t worry about it OP and good luck!

ETA: I will say I’ve never seen in-and-outs or even short (3-4 stride) combinations at the under 3 foot level even in medal courses except for finals.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=gumshoe;7974004]
As much as it pains me to say, 1998 was almost 20 years ago. So yes, “that long ago”. :wink: And heck, 2’3" “hunter pairs” at schooling shows used to jump in/out of the ring. :D[/QUOTE]

Why is there no tongue sticking out icon?! :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Nevertheless, C show (of 20 years ago) compared to modern derby (with fancy clothes!) at (I’m guessing here) A show… fine fine apples and oranges.

I just wouldn’t count it out entirely. :wink:

There is. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

If it were a schooling show I would expect it to be WAY more fun (and have competitors do things like jump out of the ring) than an A show. Schooling shows are awesome. Love the ones that have hunter divisions in the morning then hunter pairs, pole bending and ride a buck in the afternoon. WAY more fun. :yes:

[QUOTE=gumshoe;7973627]
At any rate, I don’t see a 2’6" derby including jumping in or out of any ring. Or even cantering for that matter.[/QUOTE]

The local one I mentioned went down to a 2’3 section and everyone jumped out of the ring.

Ya. Great. See my comments on small schooling shows above.

There’s some video on youtube that shows the Brownland derby you mentioned. Trotting between rings. Not cantering or jumping in/out of a ring.

[QUOTE=vxf111;7974661]
The local one I mentioned went down to a 2’3 section and everyone jumped out of the ring.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=gumshoe;7974729]
Ya. Great. See my comments on small schooling shows above.

There’s some video on youtube that shows the Brownland derby you mentioned. Trotting between rings. Not cantering or jumping in/out of a ring.[/QUOTE]

The OP hasn’t said what type of show or the specific show she’s attending. So I’m not sure how anyone can can say with any certainty what will/will not commonly be expected in the class she’s entering. You keep saying you’ve NEVER HEARD of cantering/jumping out of rings in derbies. People keep giving you examples of shows at different places/levels that do it. We have no idea if OP is going to shows like the ones you’ve seen or the ones we have. So continually telling her “you’re not going to have to do that” makes no sense to me… unless you know something specific about the show she’s attention.

The show I referenced (in response to the assertion that low level derbies NEVER have cantering/jumping in/out of the ring), is not a fun show type show (I said it was local, not hokey poke) with pole bending and doubles bareback etc. It’s a local series that is very well attended, runs on USEF rules, with typical hunter/equitation classes run to USEF specs, and holds is a year-end $2,500 hunter derby. Complete with cantering (and jumping) in/out of the rings some years. At levels 2’3 on up.

http://gleneayreequestrianprogram.org/2014-gleneayre-horse-show-and-hunter-derby/

I didn’t mention a Brownland derby, other people did.