Unlimited access >

First pair of shoes for a youngster - when and why

Wow so much great feedback!!

I think part of the problem is I don’t particularly like the barn farrier, but don’t know any others in GA either. I asked a few farriers I know from Texas that travel and they had no suggestions.

He’s about 3.5wks out right now and his fronts are already jagged on the side and each hind has a tiny crack. My phone camera is broken or I would have shared pictures.

However, he feels great (though fresh lol) and doesn’t seem as sensitive on the rocks. I would try boots for trail riding but I worry there would be too much change in his natural way of going for real flat work and jumping. Plus to be honest, I’m lazy and the thought of trying until I found a pair I liked and then taking them on and off every day is one more step I don’t want to deal with :lol:

Keratex sounds like the “tough stuff” brand that I’ve used in the past. I’m guessing that’s the main ingredient. Might go back to trying on the outside, below the cornary band as suggested (that’s how I used it in the past).

We won’t be showing at WEF, I’m going down to work and bringing him to the off site farm. But it will still be his first time in a consistant program. It sounds like what people think is barefoot is great unless it doesn’t work. I think when I get to Florida I’m going to have the farrier I really like take and look and get his recommendation.

Does anyone have recommendations for GA/Atlanta carriers?

Chocomare is in GA, so she might be able to help you find a qualified farrier.

My guy is halfway through his first set of shoes. He’ll be 5 in February. I really, REALLY didn’t want to put them on. My other horse is a Morgan-X, and he has always had rock hard feet. No shoes needed, though we did use boots when we were doing serious trails.

My horse’s feet got torn up this summer too, due to flies. But then he started being short strides and sensitive… in our sand ring. I talked to my farrier, who only does barefoot trims, and she recommended putting fronts on. He’s definitely been more foreword (though he’s so lazy it’s somewhat hard to tell). Now that he’s jumping, I’m very happy I put them on. Boots just never fit right on him, and we definitely can’t show in them!

[QUOTE=JustMyStyle;8939476]
Wow so much great feedback!!

I think part of the problem is I don’t particularly like the barn farrier, but don’t know any others in GA either. I asked a few farriers I know from Texas that travel and they had no suggestions.

He’s about 3.5wks out right now and his fronts are already jagged on the side and each hind has a tiny crack. My phone camera is broken or I would have shared pictures.

However, he feels great (though fresh lol) and doesn’t seem as sensitive on the rocks. I would try boots for trail riding but I worry there would be too much change in his natural way of going for real flat work and jumping. Plus to be honest, I’m lazy and the thought of trying until I found a pair I liked and then taking them on and off every day is one more step I don’t want to deal with :lol:

Keratex sounds like the “tough stuff” brand that I’ve used in the past. I’m guessing that’s the main ingredient. Might go back to trying on the outside, below the cornary band as suggested (that’s how I used it in the past).

We won’t be showing at WEF, I’m going down to work and bringing him to the off site farm. But it will still be his first time in a consistant program. It sounds like what people think is barefoot is great unless it doesn’t work. I think when I get to Florida I’m going to have the farrier I really like take and look and get his recommendation.

Does anyone have recommendations for GA/Atlanta carriers?[/QUOTE]

I have only one I’d recommend. JMS, PM me and let’s chat. I’d even be glad to come out and do a quick trim to hold him over.