Unlimited access >

Fixing a Cranky Horse

I’ve got a cranky one too and I’ve recently started using Back On Track products and I believe they are helping. I use the back warmer for about 20 mins before our ride and then also use the saddle pad.

Maybe with him coming back from an injury his shape has changed a bit and your saddle is hurting him in the transition? Check the fit.

^^^^This exactly. What do you mean when you say he acts ulcery? Please consider getting a gastroscopy. Just had one done on one of mine because he was being crabby. Poor guy had significant ulcers and is getting a round of Gastroguard.

Another vote for saddle fit. Presumably for a suspensory he was on total stall rest. That can change their top line completely. Something to rule out at least.

How old is the horse? They all reach a point when the arthritic changes in the joints create more deterioration then the supplement, including interarticular, IM and IV procedures can compensate for. They only delay the inevitable effects of age and mileage, they don’t stop the slide. Typically that point occurs in mid to late teens, sometimes as late as early 20s, seen a few much, much younger.

Changes in the total program need to be examined when they reach that point. You need to think about the possibility your horse might be reaching the point where injections cannot alleviate his discomfort.