Unlimited access >

Flatter seat dressage saddles

I’m a lifelong H/J rider who is interested in getting more serious about dressage. I prefer my jumping saddle to have a deeper leg (calf roll, knee roll) and flatter seat.
I’ve tried a few of my friends’ dressage saddles, but they all seem too deep in the seat for me. Is this just something that I’ll get used to after awhile? Or are there brands/models that are more aligned with what I am used to now?
Thanks for this community!

2 Likes

I can’t find a ‘modern’ flat enough dressage saddle for my wishes.

I’m riding in a very old dressage saddle that is flat as a pancake. (Well, for a dressage saddle.) Love it!

From my not-completely-thorough search, you might have to find a custom saddle maker, and customize a hybrid-type saddle. It’s possible it won’t cost more than a nicer new name-brand dressage saddle. Depending on the saddle-maker.

Good luck!

1 Like

There are some suggestions in this thread. Dressage saddles with flatter seats?

An older Passier or Stubben could be what you’re looking for.

4 Likes

You can try to find an old flat seat dressage saddle, but as a former H/J rider myself, I think the deeper seat is something you will get used to as you strengthen your position for dressage. Also, saddle fit for the rider is a lot more particular with dressage saddles. It may not be the deep seat bothering you as much as you think, but rather friends’ saddles just don’t fit you correctly.

Dressage saddles used to be so uncomfortable for me. Then I found what works for me and my horse and I don’t want to ride in anything else. I only use my jumping saddle when I have to actually jump anymore, where before it was my first choice go to saddle for comfort and security.

2 Likes

Albion SL (old name was Style) Note: there is also an SLK which has a deeper seat than the SL, it is too deep for me.

Roosli Pilatus & probably also Spirig, made by one of the original Roosli makers.

2 Likes

You might try looking at GPDs (general purpose dressage saddles) or “show” saddles (here’s a link to the sort I mean: Showing Archives - Black Country Saddles)
Either will have a more open seat than most dressage saddles, and they also tend to be less expensive.

2 Likes

I love my Albion SL but it is now too big for me. I keep an eye out for similar seat shapes and have bookmarked the Lovatt & Rickets Cambridge

Here’s where I saw it originally
https://www.facebook.com/WillowGroveRanch/posts/1859468097536988

1 Like

I think a number of riders prefer a flatter seat. But let me play Devil’s advocate if I may. The deeper seat dressage saddle will feel uncomfortable to a H/J rider who isn’t used to really sitting into their horse. I submit you will get used to the new feel, give it time. I would also ask, do you think maybe there is a reason for all of the modern (notice folks advising you to look for older models…) dressage saddles having deeper seats? Because they encourage correct position and allow you to use your seat correctly. Finally, finding a saddle that you find comfortable, sits you correctly, AND fits your horse correctly, is often a very long process of trial and error. I would suggest you become accustomed to the deeper seat and steady in your position on the horse instead of your familiar forward seat, before you purchase a saddle that suits you and your horse. JMHO

Well, as of the time of that old thread, I was in the flatter seat camp. Now I’m in some of the deepest - Custom Everest and Omni (and maybe soon a County Epiphany).

Your position will change a lot over time, but I think it’s a mistake to buy something that you don’t find comfortable to start. Just accept that it may not be a long term purchase - in a few years you may need a change.

Amerigo makes some of the nicer flat seat dressage saddles I’ve sat in (I believe its an option, not standard). I also think the Butet flat seat is really nice to ride in. For now though, you can probably find a much cheaper option in an older Passier, Neidersuss, or Kieffer or similar.

Tad Coffin dressage saddle. It’s pretty much a close contact saddle with a dressage flap. I had one, was very nice to ride.

1 Like

If you want to try a flatter dressage seat without remortgaging the house, the Wintec Pro fits the bill. It has removable/movable knee rolls, changeable gullet, and comes with either standard flocking or gel/closed cell air flocking, which my horse prefers. I believe the Pro tree was copied from a 1990’s era Keiffer tree, very traditional seat that allowed one to sit deep but did not force the posture. Suits androgynous pelvises very well.

1 Like

Butet makes a dressage saddle with their jump seat! It’s a very nice ride.

2 Likes

@Gardenhorse, thanks for that tip on that thread! I looked at it, and saw that it was from awhile back. Some of those saddles aren’t made any longer. That’s too bad! I had the same experience with my jumping saddles - finally found a make/model that I loved, bought it in three different tree sizes, and then, poof, the manufacturer went out of business, after >100 years…

1 Like

@Texarkana, that’s a very good point. I was trying to select saddles from riders who had similar builds as mine, but saddle fit is a journey, that’s for sure! Thanks again for your input.

@Mondo, thank you for that insight! I see plenty of h/j with deeper seated saddles that I don’t like either. My preferred combination of deep leg and flat seat is not the current fashion, although the Voltaire Palm Beach has a deep leg (it reminded me of the fit on the really old Stubben Siegfried). Appreciate your opinion here and that’s definitely something for me to keep in mind.

1 Like

@joiedevie99, thank you for sharing your experience! That’s an interesting evolution as a rider. Great tips on options for me to explore and to think about a possible transition later on.

1 Like

@CatOnLap, that’s an interesting option! I an going to check around and see if I can find one of those Wintec Pro models. Is the “standard” flocking wool?

Here is a flat cheap one. knee rolls are just velcro’d on.

TE002577-1

edit: oops, forgot the link
https://www.statelinetack.com/item/equiroyal-newport-dressage-saddle-pkg/E002577/

The Prestige D1 is a flatter, more open seat. Also take a look at the Amerigo saddles, lots have a pretty open flatter seat.