For all of you more, ah, "dated" riders.. care to reminisce?

I am not that old but can lend some insight into this thread (I also must mention that I had gray jodhpurs and a navy coat with brass buttons. Also, my first year of showing was the first year juniors had to wear harnesses)
**Margie Goldstein used to show the children’s hunter I catchrode in the pregreens. She also did another horse in my barn in the first years.
**Danielle Torano (then Laurenzo) always dominated the jr. divisions on Jessica and Aspercel among others. SHe wonthe SFHJA Jr. medal final in 1991. Her now husband Jimmy had won it in 1982.
**Speaking of that final, other notable names that have won it are Daryl Pirtle (Portela) in 1979, Margie Goldstein (Engle) in 1976, and Kelley Farmerin 1989.
**Marley Goodman was the one to watch in the ponies w/ H. Better Than Blue (who had already won a ton), H. Hidden Delight, Private Eye, Pillow Talk…every kid my age wanted to be her, not that that doesn’t still ring true
**The top A show barn down here and a true force in the nation was Larry and Trudy Glefke’s Road’s End…

Yes it was Market Rise but honestly Rodney at one time had so many great working horses, San Felipe’s name just escaped me. All such marvy horses huh?

So Easy, Maryann’s ponies were the Liseters, not Farnley, Liseter Goldilocks and Lister Gold Coin.

Speaking of Farnleys…no one’s mentioned Farnley Sir Roger…who won just about everything with Meg Milone and then Helen Horner.

[This message was edited by Sea Urchin on Dec. 20, 2000 at 11:55 PM.]

PamM- I almost bought a pony that just looks just like him! Not to show, just for fun – I had a show pony, now I ride two show horses for a lady at school, but I wanted a pony that I could canter around on and have fun with! Looked and jumped just like that one!

I was thinking today, as I looked over a horse book from the 1970’s, how things have changed. For example, how the kids used to wear just plain old hunt caps with elastic thingies. And of course the rust breeches. And flat bridles, and none of the saddles had padded flaps. Since I wasn’t born until 1985, and didn’t start riding until lonnnngggg after that, I was wondering what it was like back then. What kind of saddles were “the fad”? Did Warmbloods exist in the hunters? Were the divisions/classes the same? Etc etc etc? Do tell, I’d love to know what it was like!

Too easy, AHC! Shenandoah Opal w/Joanne Houston!

Debbie Willson lives in the Orange, VA. area.

Marvin rode with Junie Kulp’s All Around Farm, and yes Terry (and Michael Hunter) were there in those days.

Super Flash was a great horse also and Please Note, both of whom I remember well. Quiet Flight was another from the Not Always era. Great jumper as well.

Another blast from the past concerning All Around Farm…Midge Leitch, now a highly respected vet, was one of the braiders!

Junie was probably the first to set up a fancy tack room and put all the tiny braids in.

And I still have my beloved Siegfried Stubben saddle…

Well fooey, Sea Urchin, you must not have read my post where I mentioned Shenandoah Opal and Farnley Sir Roger!

Other notable names:
Brothers Keeper owned by Heaven Trees Farm
Kim Rachuba’s wonderful horse Dowdy Feathers
Lord Sutler
Speechmaker and Robin Ann Rost

Do any of you Virginia folks remember Cinda Bailey and her junior jumpers? Can’t remember their names offhand, but she and Zoellen Wilmot were my idols when I was 14 or 15!

And before my time but very well known in Virginia:
April Dawn

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>For those of you from the NY area, did any of you know Roger and Judy Young? Judy and Gary are my trainers…<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I worked in the Rochester area a million years ago and Roger was a major force. My fondest(?) memory of him, however, was at a show in Cincinnati where he judged. I was riding a working horse and a 1st year horse for a woman in KY - the working horse was awesome when he felt like it and the most evil-minded dirty SOB I’ve ever sat on when he didn’t. When he didn’t trash me in the middle of a fence, we placed well, but that was infrequently. Couldn’t MAKE the sucker stop at home - he’d have jumped my car if I’d pointed him at it.

I ramble… Second class…SOB stood on my leg after he trashed me… and Roger walked over to me and in a very concerned tone, asked, “You DO know that you’re supposed to finish the course before you get off??” I don’t think he heard my answer.

In answer to the unasked… he’d be rocked back on his hocks, forefeet off the ground - and roll his shoulders back and out…and there I’d be - inspecting the fence - up close and personal… I quit riding him after that class because he was screwing up my riding the green horse, who was perfectly honest…

This brings back such fantastic memories. Ring side parking at shows. Great food from the volunteer “ladies”. Every show had a different personality. Money in every class, seems like the prize money is unchanged since the mid-70’s. No COLA’s there. Beautiful trophys. I miss all that.
The clothes were great. Little kids in jods. Flashy linings in our jackets. I remember the colored helmets. I had a navy hat for my navy coat & a brown one for my brown coat. And all field boots were brown. Only mounted police wore black ones.
The shows were so much more low key. I guess it was just a much more simple time.

But what have you got in your hand that looks like a switch (fake tail)?

(then I’ll go away quietly, I swear )

Small Pony Model, Ox Ridge 1969. Ponies from front to back:

Moon Comet (owned by Syndy Paul, shown by Cindy Weiner)
Cockscrow Flair (Lucie McKinney)
Chantilly (Syndy Paul)
I think the pony behind that is Driftwood with Gail Hulick, and behind that, Midget and Nancy Baroody. Anyone else have better eyes than me?

it’s neat to see how much showing has changed! I wonder what everyone will think when in like 30 years us juniors will be talking about the '90s like this

Sarah

Love that determined chin Weatherford What a great pic!!! And Saddlebag you are not an old fart, never!! Just an Ole Twit! LOL Blast this scanner is a pain, plus am on hold with Comp USA forever, ugh…Gives me time to read all these great posts. Someone should write a book.

Oh boy, Jumpsalot, does that bring back memories. I can see them all now, especially Alvin with that fro’. Try to post that picture. My goal was always to ride like Patty and my favorite clinics were with her. Dave was a pretty good clinician too.

From when I was showing in the late 60’s through the mid-70’s…
madras and floral chokers
striped shirts
coats in all different colors and materials, including plaid
rust and canary breeches
Custom Dehner brown field boots and black dress boots
Pariani saddles
Rolled bridles
Helmets without headgear
Never riding with a helmet unless I was showing (NOT a good thing, looking back on it now…)
Custom shirts from C.O. Gooding – anyone else remember those??
Big outside hunter courses
Hunter team classes
Appointment classes
Never jumping a fence lower than 3’6" in competition during my show career
Juniors and Amateur/Owners competing successfully in Green and Open Working Hunter classes - they weren’t the exclusive domain of the pros way back when
Open Working Hunter classes that exceeded 4’ in heighth
Open Working and Conformation classes with way more than the now typical 3-5 entrants, same with Green Conformation, and 1st and 2nd year Green Working
Automatic releases
Bridle Path Hack and English Pleasure classes
Table I touch/rub classes for the jumpers
Lots of TB’s (many OTTTB’s), Warmbloods almost nonexistent
No baby green hunters, pre-green hunters, short and long stirrup, children’s hunters, etc.,in recognized shows
Nice silver trophies, often times presented by little kids, beauty queens or Boy Scouts (I have the pictures to prove it!)
Braiding our own horses, with overalls put on over our show clothes
Fun exhibitors parties

[This message was edited by dublin on Dec. 20, 2000 at 12:02 PM.]

Thanks for sharing the great photos!

Lauriep,

I think it was the one in the same Neddy. Very nice girl and had quiet way with the horses. She was great to me and took good care of me on the road. It was the first “far away from home” job for me and she did he best to keep me from being homesick.

Hoffy was a hoot. I remember her skipping down the aisle in the early AM, feeding the horses and singing " my baby takes the morning train…" She was way to perky for me that early. She taught me a lot about proper wrappiong and other “basics” needed for a good show barn. Shw always had a smile on her face and a good joke to tell.

Patty was a task master. I worked long hard hours but learned so much and lost a lot of necessary weight! But boy can she ride and the vast knowledge of horsemanship she has stored away is unbelievable.

Oh to be young and carefree again…

The horse that won so much for Bruce was a beautiful mare named Kim’s Song.