For all of you more, ah, "dated" riders.. care to reminisce?

Did anyone go to the Pony Club camp/clinic at the GMHA in South Woodstock VT?

how on earth did I confuse Farnley and Liseter???
All I can say is that my brain is getting older!

He rode at the same barn where I started out and owned a bunch of nice horses, usually ones that had been very successful before he bought them–he was the quintissential amy/owner. When the horses arrived, he added Spindletop to their names.(That was the name of his restaurant/night club in New York. As I understood it, it was that business that financed the horses.)

We kids thought he was a very glamorous figure. He would show up at the barn about once a month and the trainer would clear his whole schedule–something that was never done otherwise. He always told us to call him Marvin, not Mr. Rappaport (Van was actually his middle name, though most people erroneously called him Mr. Van Rappaport. I got set straight by his son, Gary Rappaport.)

Please Note was known as Happy when he was in our barn. A big beautiful dapple grey TB. I remember being told that his registered name was Noble Savage and that he was closely related to Native Dancer, but I have no idea if that was true or not. My sister’s large pony looked enough like Please Note that the grooms sometimes called him Happy, Jr. Quite a compliment.

I go back to the boots that looked like Pirates boots with wide tops. Those flared britches like the motorcycle cops wear and tweed jackets, I mean real wool tweed not today’s imitation tweed. Saddle was a Stubben Siegfried. Brown was in…and no helmets. More like the 40’s for a time line.

Jackie O wore the same old style britches but in yellow the last time she showed in Bedminster. And that was in the 70’s.

OH! YES!in the 70’s Maiden, Novice,Limit all the hunters for horses were at 3’6" and the difference for the Maiden was really that they had never won a blue ribbon. Ponies went at 2’6" and 3’0". No Childrens, No AA, no pre-green, just Maiden, Novice and Limit for hunters and all equitation until you go to Open. One blue ribbon qualified you to ride at the Garden in the Maclay even from New Jersey. At 3’0" the ASPCA had the Henry Bergh but it was only offered at unrecognized shows.

Classes were $5.00 each, and the show made sure that there was plenty of time between classes, Usually had one in the morning one around lunch and the last late in the afternoon. Lot’s of time for fancy tail-gate parties, cocktails and making friendly conversation. We all set up lovely tables under our canopy with flowers and chairs. Imagine we even used dishes and silverware for the food we brought.

[This message was edited by Snowbird on Dec. 20, 2000 at 02:12 AM.]

The Sterling Stables of the 70’s is down the street from my house. Western now:-(
Devon was owned by Florence Fleming, and I recall Protocal, but not the owner.
Diane Johnson is running most of the A shows up here, and doing a great job.
Sara Carter is training and Vicki Lein’s daughter was riding at the same stable as my daughter.

Actually it was Lakeside RANCH (it is California, ya’ know!)

Laura had the greatest chestnut jr. hunter, On Deck. I’m not sure what happened to her.

and the Crosby Prix de Nations. I bought my little sister a child’s Prix used at Gayers in Fairfax for $90.00. Last week I saw one just like it on a consignment rack in Middleburg for $550. (They are over $1,000 new now) Hang on to those Stubbens, Crosby’s, Passier’s and take good care of them. They are worth more now used after 20 years of riding in them than they were to begin with.

dublin, if you were in the Woodinville area, do you remember Karen Jensen, rode for Leon Butts, had a working hunter named Gorageous? She later moved to MN which is where I met her. Her mom lived in Tacoma, has since died and I heard Karen moved back to Tacoma. Ring any bells?

Laurie

That is just wonderful. Love the breeches and the coat length.

Wish they were still like that to cover thunder thighs and middle aged spread.

Yes - velvet on the jacket coller, L.Hunt bridles, Phase V (from The Saddle Shop/Bernie Cohan), Hartly Apollo & Hermes flat saddles, velvet hunt caps which came without any elastic/chin stuff, Harry Hall britches, TBs were THE ONLY horses to have, outside courses were REALLY outside courses (solid natural jumps, big and long courses). Ohhh…those were the days!

Weatherford…sounds like you would remember all those ponies the handsome Saunders boys showed. Snapshot was one and I believe he too was a Highfield’s pony.

Highfield’s Tulip-Susan Blaisdell. (She had a gray large also who name escapes me.)

Doc Smith was our vet!

And for all you Generation Xer’s…I remember leaving for the horse show early enough to MEET THE MILKMAN.

Remember the team jumpers at Santa Barbara?
Those looked like so much fun.
It seems like it always was nice for western and rainy for english.

I have a picture of me at the Tralee horse show with my black pony braided in this hideous yellow yarn. Oh Lord, the 70’s were not a stylish time…

Still have my Crosby Prix de Nations – wouldn’t ride in anything else!

Jumpsalot – are you still in touch with the Welles family? Ellen has one of my ponies!

I hope (pray!) I have this picture thing figured out now. It seems like DAYS since we were discussing madras chokers and jackets, but that’s what I’m trying to post. (Photo circa 1969)

Hoffy was the best - classy but oh, so funny! Did Neddy come from Hilltop? If it is the same Neddy, I sold her my HERMES (Stupid, stupid, stupid) one Christmas for $350 so I could go home to MN for Christmas. I wonder if she still has it…It was the older version, still the best.

Heukey has the driest sense of humor going and is one of the best hunter riders ever to grace our rings.

Laurie

I never showed because I was afraid at over 3’6. Went to lots of shows with friends who had horses that could do both hunters and jumpers, and I remember pretty much what Janet and PamM remember.

Does anybody remember moleskin breeches for men?

The first stretch breeches were just coming in when I quit riding, and they were Helanca from Switzerland. Everybody yearned for a Pariani FS saddle, and the Mexicans ruled the International Shows with Colonel Morales.

If you had a black Melton coat, it wasactually melton fabric, and it did have the button at the neck for holding the collar up in icy weather.

Custom boots were pretty much Dehners, and they lasted and lasted and lasted. Every town had a cobbler, so you could get your off the shelf boots customized, as someone else mentioned.’

You never saw an adult woman in anything except a derby hat, unless she had a top hat and sidesaddle.

People still staghunted with hounds, and lots of women rode sidesaddle for that.

Knock down and outs in the jumper classes. And fences in those classes that got REALLY, REALLY big. Time didn’t count. A totally different style of riding for jumpers and hunters, and that was a NEW thing.

Don’t remember any show horses that weren’t either grade or TB. No warmbloods, no QH’s.

Congratulations on getting the picture online. Technology is not my strong suit either, my scanner decides on a daily basis wether it is hooked to the computer. Even if it has not been unplugged. SHould I send it out for training?

Jimmy Schmeltzer was still there last time I looked, which was a couple of years ago. He is indeed a character and always has juicy gossip to share. I once happened upon an old bridle upstairs in his used tack dept. It was a classic, wide, flat sew-in snaffle. Best part was, it had Dave’s monogram stamped in the crown piece. I covet the thing.

Was anyone else at Sedgefield the time Dave acquired his prize fighters nose? Back then, the main ring was the bottom one with all the box seats. The “nose job” was a result of the conformation horse he was showing misfiring off the ground and swimming through the oxer. The lumber flew and the top rail landed squarely across Dave’s face. Ouch… [Rodney Jenkins was showing ponies at the same show.]

Marie, what a gem. She was the queen of uninhibited with her surroundings. She’d pull up mid-course [if her lovely darling was having a bad go of it] put her hand on her hip, and begin a conversation about her trip with the judge and people ring side. During the hack that followed one such episode, everyone got into the act. Don [of course] started it then Joey, the judge, and all else followed. Before long a loud conversation was going on as they trotted around.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> RUXTON, RUXTON, RUXTON- my fave hunter of all times!!!Breeding anyone? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By Abundance (Hanoverian) out of Nobody Much (TB).

Bred by Al Steiert (sp?). Abundance was one of the first warmblood stallions imported to this country. According to a friend of mine who worked for Al Abundance was so even tempered that you could drive him paired with a mare.

My friend rode Ruxton right after he was broken. You could call her fortunate but she said that he was pretty tough and prone to stopping. Goes to show you what some good professional rides can do for a horse.

Nina

We had quite an after lunch discussion of past wonderful horses and riders yesterday. Between Kennett Square, Morrissey and ETBW the names of glorious 'chasers for the past 25 years were remembered once again and their glory days praised.

Cinzano, the Argentinian TB brought to the US and used as a ringer, found out and blacklisted from the track, papers revoked, found a new career as the top 'chaser in the Mid-Atlantic.

Boca Bird, grand old jumper from Buckland Farm when Pleasant Colony was just a proposed mating on paper. Cookin and Lookin, local owner rider champion.

So many great horsemen as well, several hours passed just listening to the list of notables and tid bits of experiences that our fellow forumites had shared.

Kennett Square and Morrissey are an encyclopaedia between them. Throw out a VA/MD name, person or horse, and there will be a link to the two of them. Fantastic afternoon, ladies, and thank you!