For all of you more, ah, "dated" riders.. care to reminisce?

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>rust-red-colored Dehners – the “official” name of that color escapes me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

cordovan…I loved mine…

I remember ooing and ahhing about it, the most expensive saddle on the market at the time (I’m pretty sure–at least in the catalogs it was) as $2500!

And as to Stueben’s. Please! To this day, I still cringe at the extra padding the Seigfried (scuze the spelling, if it’s wrong) needed in back so that the rider’s leg wouldn’t jut out in front like sitting in a chair. Comfy and secure, absolutely. Fostering a good position, egad!

And what about personalities? I’ve got two–no, three–for you:

Rodney Jenkins and Harry DeLeyer (the Galloping Grandfather). Oh, for the days when our stars had PERSONALITY!

The third? Tad Coffin (w/ Bruce coming in second and Conrad Homfeld in there, too, if only just for the record). Oh, those gorgeous blonds!

Horses? For me, it was Jet Run and Balbuco.

Sportponies Unlimited
Specializing in fancy, athletic, 3/4-TB ponies.
For more info, email: sportponies@horsecity.com
Shameless signature plugplugplug.

Stocking Stuffer, Murmansk, Gozzi, Square Lakes…

Wasn’t Tamara the one that broke her back skiing as a junior and continued riding? As I remember their farm was at the end of the runway at the Lexington airport.

Pam M you are on my track Duke of Paeonia. Like you not sure of the sp. What a grand horse, and have to admit loved Not Always too! Friends have a 33 milmeter of schooling at MSG in '61. It’s GREAT! They were trying to have this put on video.

Remember those breeches well, you could stuff anything your heart desired in those flaps. How bout those black melton coats, or my personal fav the pinstriped summer coats with matching hunt cap.

Oh forgot, had a Pariani with forward cut knee rolls. We used real sheepskin saddle pads at home. Kept brushing them out with baby powder to keep them clean.

[This message was edited by wtywmn4 on Dec. 20, 2000 at 03:24 PM.]

ok ok I am the oldest one here!!!I remember when Upperville had lightweight middleweight(Ithink) and heavy weight hunters classes.Lowest jumps at arated show were 3foot novice hunters.I also remember showing at the old Philomont grounds in Va. over the hardest and highest outside course with a stone wall in and out. Oh and the outside course at Upperville had a post and rail in and out that was 30 feet long and you were supposed to jump it in one stride!!What about those gator leggings in the newmarket cloth and leather on the inside???oh and ill never foget the hunt caps in colors,dark green brown blue and of course black.Man oh man things have changed

Hi Pam I posted a pic of Marie and Snicklefritz on the New Dated riders thread. This thread was so long I figured I would use the new one.

Alright, PamM, I will try to fill in some of the blanks -

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> My favorite ponies of the era (can you tell that’s what I showed?)
Thorwell - Karen Nolte (NJ)
Cockscrow Hobo - Debbie Nolte

Hot Shot Kid,-------Terry Rudd [B](this pony died in the early 90’s at the age of 39 or 40 - he was living at a friend’s farm, taking he nephew foxhunting and having a good time til the end)[/b}
Neat n’ Tidy one of the Hulicks
Serendippity, Suzanne Smith - now DR Suzanne Smith, following in her Vet Dad’s footsteps. Later sold to Amy Ross —Missy Leib
Chimney Sweep. Nancy Barody? And wasn’t Chimney Sweep originally a Highfield’s pony?

Small:
Wizard of Oz, -----______ Burr(Leslie, wasn’t it?) [/b]
Highfield’s Town and Country, -----Brooke Hodgson (wonderful rider!)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I didn’t get many, but some.

And Royal Blue was the absolute epitome of the wonderful hunter!

PamM, your photo is so cute! That pony would win even today.

I have a win photo from the Sonoma County Fair show and the lady handing me the plate has on these huge Catwoman sunglasses and a beehive hairdo! I wonder about her, too, as she’s so larger than life.

As for Riot Free, I saw him out here after he was sold to the Bravenders. That girl… oh, don’t get me off on a rant, but to sit up in the grandstands and watch Riot Free pack her around, and see her win class after class when… (geez, she could be a poster here???)… let’s just say as a talented but financially strapped young teen those were some of my most memorable “life’s not fair” moments.

I can’t find the Madras Choker, but I did see a emerald green velvet one in my moms sewing room the other day. Maybe I’ll were it at my next show. Since I am only showing at local shows that are unrated I can were those things. After all I did wear a tiger stripe shirt to one earlier in the fall. So a contrasting choker would be nothing. I like to watch the local fashoin police cringe when I show up. Considering they are only about 17 yrs old.

Aiken do you mean that you are trying to figure out who I am??I will tell you that Patty Foster who used to work for Firestones is a successful trainer up here (in fact she bought a house in my neighbor hood last yr).Email me for further infoOK?

Wasn’t the first Mrs McKay Smith the horse painter, StClair? She passed away in a plane crash a few years ago?

LaurieB didn’t know Not Always was with Rodney. Knew him when he was with Eggy (J. Edgar Mills) Thought Eggy was the only one who had him. Remember when they finally retired him at 21!

Pam M Diane Johnson manages shows in Washington and Oregon Johnny died two years ago.He was a wonderful man and horse trainer

I did not start Jumping/ showing until the '70s after college. Rode western till them.
Keep up the talk and photos.

Yep the britches were gabardine and had no stretch that’s why you needed those flared hips to make room when you sat in the saddle.

That’s right: Florence Fleming owned Devon. I remember when Lyda was doing so well on him. Right from the first FLA show, they cleaned up that first winter. Florence flew in from Washington to see her boy. She was really nice and SO PROUD of him…

It was DeeDee Sung who owned Protocol and Reality at the same barn (Diane and Johnny Johnson’s in Wash.)

is the name of the Bechtel family’s horse operation. Actually, the Bechtel house is on that big lake in Oakland, while the ranch is down in Morgan Hill . Champ and Linda Hough were, for many years, private trainers for the Bechtels and Sutton Place was on a portion of the Bechtel ranch.

Last seen, Laura Davies was the mother of two children. Bechtel has a policy of sending EVERYONE out “into the field” for several years. Laura and her husband were in Arizona for part of that time (if you are not a family member, “into the field” can be China or Kuwait or just about anywhere else in the world—mostly developing countries in which Bechtel has construction contracts to (singlehandedly) bring the developing nation out of the category of third world country…) I think that the Bechtel children/grandchildren got slight preferential treatment (close enough to home to come home for Christmas), but not absolution from this rigid practice at Bechtel Corp.

For those that do not know: Laura Davies is the daughter of Barbara Bechtel Davies (owner of Sutton Place (the horse) Showdown, Modest Man, Noteworthy etc. etc). Megan Johnstone is the daugher of Shana Bechtel Johnstone. And Abby Dachs is the daughter of Laurie Bechtel Dachs. I believe there are more family members who Linda has trained over the years, but these were the ones there when I was. Megan and Abby are great grandaughters of Steve Bechtel Sr. Laura is the grandaughter of Steve Sr.

It is quite a family. The work ethic in that family is incredble. They are all “do-ers”. Last time I saw Laura was on a plane coming back to SFO. She had 2 little kids and she was pushing a “Smarte carte” and organizing luggage and children prior to getting a taxi to her Mom’s house. (She also took the time to return the Smarte Carte to the rack and get $.25 back. Impressed the hell out of me.) No “being met by a limo” for this family… All of them nice and all of them realistic about hte ways of the world.

I cannot admire the family enough for keeping priorities straight in the presence of more $$$ than any of the rest of us could even dream about.

I recall going to lots of shows where the classes from each division were scattered throughout the day, not back to back like they are now. And you usually had an outside course.

Please note:

White linen jacket
Newmarket boots
White very poofy breeches with buttons for the calf (just below the knees) and a buttoned bibb front
12 (maybe) braids on pony
2’6 picket for 12.1 pony
Hard hat with elastic (for all the good it did!)
Pariani saddle
Sheepskin saddlepad
Safety stirrups

And, of course, a Highfield’s pony!