Unlimited access >

Foray in to Eventing - help!

Dr Bristols are explicitly LEGAL for EVENTING Dressage. They are NOT legal for STRAIGHT Dressage.

Yes. In VA I know many unrecognized HT that DO time, as well as many that do not.

All great advice given. You & your students may want to attend an event to get the feel for it and see what other riders are wearing. Dressage-you can wear a white shirt with a collar. Polo shirt would be fine but even something like this will be acceptable: https://www.doversaddlery.com/ds-coolblast-ss-showshirt/p/X1-202466/. Tan breeches are fine-black half chaps are fine also if they don’t have tall boots. Hunt seat saddles are fine for dressage too. I would go square pad for dressage.

XC let the kids go wild! Any color breeches and shirt. Safety vest & helmet. I would have the kids wear the armbands just in case. I don’t agree with the no armband rule. (my opinion) Most events have the show jumping before XC so I would wear the XC gear to show jumping. since times will be tight.

I know the Carolina Horse Park in NC has a schooling day the day before the event so you can practice your tests in the dressage arena, & do cross country schooling & show jumping. One suggestion is maybe ask a local event rider to come and give a talk to your kids and maybe go with you/students as you do course walks.

Hope your kids have a blast!!!

Just wanted to follow up on this thread, thanks to all for your advice, it reinforced that we were prepared and ready! I’ve been to many events before as a spectator but never as a trainer (but have done countless HJ shows ha!). My students (both adult riders) had a great day in the unicorn (18”/2’) division! One rider was leading after dressage (out of 7) and had a bumpy (but lessons learned!) xcountry. The other came from 3rd after dressage and won the division! Just wanted to come back and say thanks, everyone was so welcoming and we’ll definitely look for some more small events to attend :blush:

18 Likes

Awesome!! Great update, glad everyone had a good time.