Unlimited access >

Founder/Laminitis- Looking for Advice

I’m so sorry you are going through this, but you are giving her the greatest gift possible: a release from pain.

I just went through endocrine-caused laminitis-turned-founder with my mare and we couldn’t get control of it despite diet changes, hay soaking, meds, and all the care we could give. Things were looking up but then she relapsed hard and prospects for a good retirement were bleak so I ended her pain. As my vet said, the toughest decisions are often the kindest. Know in your heart that you are making a good decision.

1 Like

hugs :sadsmile:

1 Like

i’m sorry for your loss. you are a good horse mom to release her from pain

1 Like

That sounds very much like our situation; I am so sorry that you had to go through it.

So very very sorry for your loss. I had to make that decision for my Milty the end of January. I did every single thing I could do for him. Special diet. Pain management. Excellent farrier. But he foundered for the third time then end of January and we just could not control the pain. My heart breaks for you.

1 Like

So sorry OP. You did right by the horse even though it’s hard. Big hugs

2 Likes

I’m sorry you’re at this point - I’m headed there with one of my horses, my old gelding. Also a cushing horse, we had white line we’ve been fighting for ? a year, a founder on his resected hoof. He’s now sore on his left front, not so much that he can’t move but he is gimpy. Xray shows nothing, no rotation on the “good” front hoof but he’s sore. He’s on Equioxx and it helps but after this next trim, I may be making some tougher decisions. He has a nice big stall with a run off the back but his life is now confined to that stall, outside of short hand walks a few times a week. He seems happy and still loves to eat but I feel so badly for him.

I hope I can be brave for my horse, as you have been for yours. {{hugs}}

OP, many hugs to you. I know the pain of letting a great horse go. I think it is harder in some ways when there has been such a long road and so many efforts to “fix” them. My guy was Cushing’s, IR and laminitic. After five years of medication and episodes of laminitis, I made the decision to let him go at age 25.

In the end, I believed as you do: better a day to early than a day too late. My thoughts are with you.
Sheilah

1 Like

@myvanya So sorry for your mare and what you two are going through. You have done the best you could for her.

1 Like

I went through this with a pony and swore I will never go through the pain and hard ache again. She was so stoic and I had her on too much pain medication than was healthy for her body. I was hoping for a miracle. Let her go. Horses live in the moment and even though it was the hardest decision I had to make, I wish I had done it sooner.

@EmilyM if you don’t mind sharing, how is your hunter doing now? How old was he when he foundered? My sweetheart 8 year old hunter just foundered due to previously unknown IR issues.

He is 12 and it was 2020 summer when he foundered. He didn’t rotate or anything. He started back showing this summer. I haven’t been jumping very high but that isn’t really about the founder. More about the fact he had other injuries and he’s very strong and fresh. He used to get a lot of prep so I am having to figure him out with no longing and no calming pastes (all have sugar for flavor). It’s been an interesting journey but he hasn’t had any issues. He did get out overnight on grass by accident. I almost had a heart attack but he was ok.

1 Like

Hang in there …I recommend joining the ECIR group asap and refer to Dr Kellon…what’s the diet specifically? Are you feeding the emergency diet ? Soaking hay or feeding tested low sugar ? I have found the giving Acetaminophen (Tylenol) helped a lot and that can be given with Equioxx or bute as well as the Gabapentin and Pentoxifylline and Thyro L …is the acth/Cushings under control? Has bloodwork been tested lately ? Also IV Dmso can also be given for pain relief…once off pain meds supplements such as Uckeles Laminox and Phytoquench help tremendously.

2 Likes

@ladipus just in case you were replying to the original thread, it’s 2 years old and my fault for resurrecting it!

If you were replying to me - I have joined the ECIR group and they have given me loads of useful advice. He was on the emergency diet for a few weeks and is a lot better now, diet is strictly grass hay (no alfalfa) that has been tested and is low NSC per the ECIR guidelines. He foundered about a month ago and is off all pain medication - was on equioxx for about two weeks - and has been moving freely around his small run, including some trotting / bucking. Bloodwork from a week ago showed IR but no PPID, though we are going to run the TRH stim test in January.

He rotated less than 5° on each front hoof and is looking very comfortable in corrective shoeing. I know there is a long road ahead but he is only 8 and already seems to be hugely improved. I am cautiously optimistic that with excellent management, he will make a strong recovery. Jingles appreciated though.

Again, sorry for highjacking an old thread! I have been digging up old founder threads looking for any positive stories.

Hi @WavyRider …oops didn’t realize this was old -sorry for that …and that’s good about joining and following the ECIR guidelines…my mare was 9 when she got acute laminitis triggered by steroids given for bad allergies/reaction to sweet itch …after a complete diet change she’s made a full recovery and has been back to normal consistent work probably about since 9 months after onset which was June of 2020 …along with following a variation of the emergency diet I also give her Uckeles Laminox and Phytoquench, and Insulin Wise all of which seem to help