Unlimited access >

French saddle reviews

mvp - not sure I follow sorry! yes I blog for IST and several other sites as well and am always open/honest about it, I work in marketing and blogging is a big part of what I do. Circling back to the above, I’d LOVE To have anyone interested guest blog their reviews of ANY saddles for IST’s product review blog. Yes, the owner gets approval on all blogs, but she doesn’t ONLY sell French saddles, that’s just her specialty and preference (and I tend to agree - I ride in a Voltiare, no I don’t do their marketing, but I DO love their saddles).

Anyway, anyone who wants to blog, can email me at cj@iselltack.com :slight_smile: and if not, that’s fine too. I’m enjoying reading about the other brands as well. I’ve ridden in CWD (loved the saddle, hated the weight), and a few others, but have not experienced Antares, L’Apogee, Butet, or Delgrange, so reading more at least for me is interesting.

And if anyone wants to review Stubbens, or County Saddlrey, or well just about whatever, that’s welcome too. I always like to read and learn more!

Has anyone ridden in the Stuggart yet by Voltaire? I don’t like it as much (that’s just me) because it has bigger blocks and more padding and I’m a true close contact minimalist kinda girl, hence the second skin being my true love lol. Just wondering. I sat in one at Rolex - the Stuggart - but was wondering if anyone rode in one yet.

Well I don’t have a French saddle but I really love the Voltaire, because I think the baby blue, brown and white color scheme is freakin’ gorgeous!

I can buy one of those “fugly” baseball caps and write a review on that if it helps. lol

[QUOTE=CJ82Sky;7556971]
mvp - not sure I follow sorry! yes I blog for IST and several other sites as well and am always open/honest about it, I work in marketing and blogging is a big part of what I do. Circling back to the above, I’d LOVE To have anyone interested guest blog their reviews of ANY saddles for IST’s product review blog. Yes, the owner gets approval on all blogs, but she doesn’t ONLY sell French saddles, that’s just her specialty and preference (and I tend to agree - I ride in a Voltiare, no I don’t do their marketing, but I DO love their saddles).

Anyway, anyone who wants to blog, can email me at cj@iselltack.com :slight_smile: and if not, that’s fine too. I’m enjoying reading about the other brands as well. I’ve ridden in CWD (loved the saddle, hated the weight), and a few others, but have not experienced Antares, L’Apogee, Butet, or Delgrange, so reading more at least for me is interesting.

And if anyone wants to review Stubbens, or County Saddlrey, or well just about whatever, that’s welcome too. I always like to read and learn more!

Has anyone ridden in the Stuggart yet by Voltaire? I don’t like it as much (that’s just me) because it has bigger blocks and more padding and I’m a true close contact minimalist kinda girl, hence the second skin being my true love lol. Just wondering. I sat in one at Rolex - the Stuggart - but was wondering if anyone rode in one yet.[/QUOTE]

L’Apogee makes a great saddle. My friend bought the custom one that was made for her horse from his previous owner. It is very comfortable and well balanced. I don’t think the leather is as nice as some of the new French saddles, but this L’Apogee was from the early 2000s so they might have gotten different leather options since then.

I rode in the Stuggart during my trial yesterday with the Voltaire rep. He had me try the Palm Beach and the Stuggart based on what I told him about my riding style, horse, and what we compete in. I think he thought the Stuggart is what I would prefer but I actually rather disliked it. Not in terms of the quality of the saddle, just a personal preference. I felt very “locked” into my position as opposed to having the adaptability to go from a galloping seat, light seat, or full seat. My barn manager commented that I looked “busy in the tack” and I think that was due to me constantly fighting the position the saddle was forcing me into. It’s just a lot of saddle and too deep of a seat for me personally. I also noticed my horse moved significantly more “free” when I switched back from the Stuggart to the Palm Beach. But that’s probably a horse preference too :lol:

I didn’t get a chance to ride in the second skin and therefore didn’t order it…should I be changing my mind? :/. I am pretty long from hip to knee so I got an extra forward flap Palm Beach and was told the second skin wouldn’t be too big of a difference for me. I was concerned with the quick wearing of the second skin and the bunching up when you tighten your girth since the leather is much more flimsy…Wish I would have sat in one with the second skin! You think I should call Voltaire?

[QUOTE=AffirmedHope;7556997]
Well I don’t have a French saddle but I really love the Voltaire, because I think the baby blue, brown and white color scheme is freakin’ gorgeous!

I can buy one of those “fugly” baseball caps and write a review on that if it helps. lol[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure you could go up to a tent and they would give you one after the baseball cap fiasco! lol

[QUOTE=woodhillsmanhattan;7557076]
Pretty sure you could go up to a tent and they would give you one after the baseball cap fiasco! lol[/QUOTE]

Lol maybe! I hope they’re at Devon so I can buy some swag! I REALLY like that hat lol.

I also just got a Voltaire Palm Beach with pro panels. I have ridden in it 3 times since it arrived and its been a bit of a revelation. It is much better balanced than previous saddle. My horses are happier. I’m not fighting for position anymore. Obviously a saddle is a personal preference thing, but I would definitely not hesitate recommending that a friend give Voltaire a try.

[QUOTE=AffirmedHope;7556997]

I can buy one of those “fugly” baseball caps and write a review on that if it helps. lol[/QUOTE]

haha that made me literally lol :wink:

To the question about the second skin, I absolutely prefer it, but I am a minimalist when it comes to saddles. The flap has held up nicely and my saddle is now almost 2 years old and ridden in regularly. I haven’t had any issues with the leather bunching but that’s also something that I pay attention to - ensuring it lies flat when I tighten the girth - and at this point the leather has enough memory to stay flat whether I double check or not. Some people have had issues with the thinner second skin flap bunching, so I think it’s just a matter of personal preference. I love it far more than any traditional flap, but that’s just me.

Interesting to hear about the Stuggart - I haven’t ridden in one but that was my impression just from sitting in it. I don’t like the additional support and bigger blocks and cushy padding, but as I said above I’m a minimalist so the less padding, smaller blocks and thinner panels and shallower seat, the better. I’ve heard some people really like it but I’ll stick to my Palm Beach Second Skin :wink:

Now as for those hats…haha I have one and I love it!

I have had several french saddles/ridden in as well:

1. 2006 Devoucoux Socoa-I LOVED this saddle. Would fit just about anything I put it on. Really nice & deep seat, this would be the perfect Eq saddle in my opinion. I didn’t like the color though, and the flap was a little short.

After that saddle, I was looking for another saddle, thinking that there could be nothing better (LOL). I almost ended up buying a 2011 Biarritz…but I just didn’t love the seat as much as the Socoa.

1. I test rode in a Voltaire Palm Beach next…it was very comfortable…but right after I got home, a good friend of mine called me to tell me that her seat on her Voltaire has completely flattened out…Voltaire is a very new brand, & as I don’t buy saddles often, I wanted something a little more tried and true.

Funnily enough, the weekend I was about to break down and buy the devoucoux, my friend texted me telling me she was selling her 2011 Antares. I cannot say enough AMAZING things about this saddle. It fits everything and anything (17.2 Dutch, 15.3 small boned Dutch, 16.1 regular Dutch, 16.0 TB, med pony, large pony) I have put it on. The seat is the perfect medium between flat and deep. Also…the Antares rep from VA(he is the rep at WEF) is a lovely & helpful man. If you want someone who is knowledgeable and kind, but not a product pusher, he is your man.

I’ve ridden in a couple of others as well…I liked Arc de Triomphe, Butet, etc…

The only saddle I haven’t ridden in a CWD, which I find ironic because 60% of the saddles at my barn are CWDs. Honestly, I’ve never had a really bad experience, for which I am really greatful.