Unlimited access >

French vs german vs uk saddles and stirrup combinations - hunter jumpers and neuropathy

I actually have a kieffer AP (aachen!) but I think my trainer would faint if I rode in it! It’s black, too :upside_down_face:

Loved eventing in it, though, as a youth. Also did PC in it too.

yeah. crap. okay. I am concerned about this. I do not want to mash my pelvis.

1 Like

My point was that it was the model of saddle (the CWD I hated was a SE02, I think it’s called, the half deep seat) and not the brand. I love my Mademoiselle, but when I tried it on the school horse I’m currently riding, it was chafing me like crazy. A custom pad I have that lifts the back yet has a cutout for the withers fixed the balance.

Try using a rear riser, and good luck.

2 Likes

You could try a Schleese. They have a variety of pommel/twist options in their jumping saddles that might help you feel like your leg is laying against the horse more effectively. Every time I ride in a CWD, I feel like I’m splayed out and don’t feel like I “fit”. I think that has to do with the twist/pommel combination for me.
They will often book a single appointment if they can. Evaluations are $175 paid ahead of time. I’ve found that the quality of the fitting is really down to the quality of fitter they send your way. I’ve had both good and so-so experience with them.

1 Like

If your trainer likes French saddles, great for them. Apparently they’ve had success with those makes. Hopefully this trainer isn’t arm-twisting you into a bad relationship with an expensive piece of equipment, though. Some trainers recommend certain brands because they get commissions from the saddler. That’s fine, but if my trainer insisted on a saddle brand that didn’t fit me and my horse, I’d look for a different trainer.

4 Likes

Just because your trainer likes French saddles doesn’t mean you should buy one, you should buy whatever works best for you and the horse you will be riding, regardless of the brand.

BTW at one time CWD offered a smaller/lower pommel, don’t know if that is still an option. I loved my CWD and never had any problem with the pommel though. I had what was the SE01 / flat seat at the time but it was when CWD first came out about 20 years ago, I think they may have changed their numbers since then.

2 Likes

I’ve ridden in dressage Schleeses! Didn’t realize they also made jumping saddles. Something to consider for sure. Thanks.

I get what you’re saying; I am not worried about this being a possibility. I think I will just figure out, in time, the saddle that works, and it sounds like I need to try a bunch to see what makes sense. I am going to try a friend’s very old flat/equitation style Hermes next lesson and see how that fits. The horse I’m riding seems pretty easy to fit, so that makes everything a little easier.

You could also try looking at used saddles at various online stores. I understand that shipping saddles back and forth can get expensive fast, but if you can narrow down your search to a couple of brands/models, it might be worthwhile.

You said that you had some favorite brands of dressage saddles; try looking at some of those brands’ jumping saddles.

Pelham saddlery has a used Adam Ellis jump saddle (actually the Bonnie Eventer saddle) that is an 18" narrow:
https://www.pelhamsaddlery.net/jumping18/adam_ellis25812used.html

1 Like

I’d be interested top know how that works. I’m not tall nor do I have particularly long hip-to-knee, but from what I think I’ve heard above (narrow twist, flap forward) the Hermes or a Crosby Prix des Nations (the old-school eq saddles) might work well for you. I still ride in my PDN from my junior days and bought another one on eBay a few years ago. I ride TBs (but they’re pretty well built and not particularly narrow) and I’ve never had a problem fitting anything I ride. Shoot, even with the 50-gallon drum-round QH I had years ago, that PDN still rode better without slipping than anything wider!

2 Likes

Based on your initial description, I can’t think of any English brands that I would recommend. But maybe try Italian! I can’t say that newer Butets are all that great in the crotch and seat region (since they were bought by the parent company that owns CWD and Devoucoux).

I’d also suggest looking for saddles that offer more of a long-forward or low-forward flap to let your leg be a bit longer without having your knees over and/or too much flap up in front of your thigh. You also might need a wider seat measurement to support your sit bones. And possibly a smaller seat than your dressage saddles. If you are scooting up to sit close to the pommel, the seat is too big. Or the flap is too forward.

Your femurs can be long but in what direction do your knees go when you are sitting on your seat bones? If your pelvis is rotating in the wrong direction, that can make you feel like you are stuck in the saddle or like you are hitting pommel. I ride with a longer and straighter leg in my jump tack and a smaller seat. Although my angles and shoulder-hip-heel alignment is there and knee angle correct. In dressage tack, I need a bit of a forward flap. My stirrups aren’t a ton longer. If I try to open my hips more and ride longer then I am just rotating onto my crotch. My knee has to be a little bit more forward (relative to most dressage tack) to sit on my seat bones. I also prefer a more open seat and shorter blocks for this reason (and I also get knee pain with those locked in saddles and I don’t even have bad knees!).

1 Like

It might be useful to contact a saddle fitter to point you in the right direction. I have spoken with Leah at Redwood tack and found her to be very knowledgeable, but maybe you can find one close to where you live to meet with in person. https://redwoodtack.com/

2 Likes

The deeper seated models do the same thing to me, and it’s extremely uncomfortable to say the least. What I’ve found works for me is looking for saddles that mimic the older “pancake” saddles in seat shape. The flatter the better. In fact, depending on your horse’s shape and your own preferences, it might be an option to look into something older and more minimalist.

3 Likes

It’s not really in the budget for me to see a saddle fitter; I think I will just trial and error for now, see what happens

this sounds like me. I think a couple of folks have italian saddles, will investigate.

I was happy-ish in an adam ellis jump saddle, but I wasn’t doing much jumping in it, just flatting, so I wasn’t sure if it actually put my leg into the right place.

In dressage tack, I need a more forward flap, and a very flat flap (I hate the thigh blocks that are so common now). Anyway, all things to consider.

I am definitely looking at more open seats, flatter pancake types from days of yore. Rode in a Crosby PDN as a youth, and maybe need another one like that.

1 Like

yes! I had a Crosby PDN as a kid, and also rode in an old Hermes. I am trying a friend’s Hermes this week. Hoping that can help. I should never have sold my PDN :frowning:

You may not need a pancake saddle really if you just find one with the right balance point without some of the bulk that is there in a brand like CWD. You probably prefer a flatter seat, but I bet you’d also like a half deep seat in the right, balanced saddle. Padded seats and knee rolls aren’t so bad if done right for your body shape!

3 Likes

It’s really one of those things where you just need to try saddles and see how they fit. Which is the worst answer I know, regardless of budget. I tried every Stubben under the sun. Even when I gave them my dream setup: narrow twist, no blocks, flat saddle, I could not for the life of me get into a reasonably effective position.

I’m now in a half deep renaissance and I’m not even offended by the blocks bc they are well positioned for me. I would never in a million years have guessed this saddle would work, my favorite saddle before that was a pancake flat Butet practice saddle that didn’t even have proper flaps, so go figure!

4 Likes

@greysfordays Can you share a little more about that saddle? I have a Butet practice saddle I love, too. Thx!

Renaissance is a partnership between Fredrick Butet and Prestige. The quality of the leather feels pretty good to me, and I like that the tree can be adjusted slightly in their special machine.

The first time I tried one in Thermal a few years ago, Mr. Butet was there for the fitting, which was a little surprising and nerve wracking to ride in front of him. He mentioned at one point that the original butet trees always worried him but bc Prestige has so many more options, he sleeps well at night. It kind of felt like he was marketing to me, but who knows. He also said the practice saddle was sort of a lark he did for a client but people liked them so he made more.

I thought bc I liked the practice saddle, that I would prefer the super plain, pancake flat renaissance. I ended up not loving it when I showed in it. It wasn’t so much the lack of support, I just never felt in the right spot even at the walk. So I didn’t sit in one for another year or so. Then I tried again, this time the half deep seat, but wool flocked and that felt much more comfortable as far as positioning for myself and how well my horse went with it.

I like my saddle, but I don’t think any one brand corners the market on best saddles for everyone. I think it’s super personal to the horse and despite my best attempts to prioritize that over my own comfort, it HAS to fit the rider. If you’re flailing up there, your horse’s back is not going to be happy. I don’t know if because you like the practice saddle, you will like this brand, but I think it can be a good option and I like that they have a wool option. The wool has held up really well, I had it adjusted after one year and the tweaks were minor.

2 Likes