Unlimited access >

Fun thread...Buck Brannaman Clinic...which saddle?

Ok - back from the clinic and it was amazing.

My horse was indeed a dragon when we came in, but settled relatively quickly Day 1. The ring was packed, the other horses were varying levels of compliance, and people had varying levels of skill. Buck was actually really attentive and very nice to everyone, contrary to reports I’ve read. My horse got “big” every time a new horse would come into the ring, but behaved himself well and I was able to redirect him pretty easily.

Things I learned - first - equipment really does matter. I had the right rope halter, but had to buy a second flag (long story) and ended up buying one from the very expensive table. The difference was actually quite large. My flag ($14…amazon) had a thicker stem to it, and I couldn’t really get it moving the way I needed to to get the response I needed from my horse. The very expensive branded flag had a much thinner stem, more like the top of a fishing pole, and I could use significantly less effort to really make a difference to the horse. Same thing with the rope halters.

Secondly, I needed to put a lot more pressure on my horse to get to his feet. The difference, once I actually got him with me, was noticeable. I always had felt like he gave me kind of a milquetoast response. Like he was saying “yeah yeah, you’re nice enough so I’ll comply” but not a real respectful response. He was kind of ignoring the pressure from the flag, until at one point I actually got “loud enough” for him to try to escape, and then his feet broke loose…finally.

And then I finally understood what Buck meant by getting to his feet and keeping him on this end of the rope. That’s very different than a horse who can just perform the exercises. It’s a nuance, but an important one, and it was hard to achieve on a very dominant yet sort of compliant horse (which mine is).

And thirdly, we did ride with that many horses in the ring, and he did great. It was a lot to throw at him, horses going every which way, lariats being spun, flags flagging, and a lot of participants. He weaved in and out well on a loose rein without issue. We picked up a soft feel and that went very very well. My horse is actually pretty soft mouthed, just not always attentive, but we got there. And I was the most confident I’ve been since my accidents 10 years ago. Felt like my old self again!

I have a lot of practice to do but we made a huge leap forward. Now I just need to repeat that a few billion times.

16 Likes

That’s awesome! So glad it was great. I can’t recommend his new(er) dvd “In the Snaffle Bit” enough in case you don’t have it.

The Shelbyville clinic was great for my horse, reminded me how I don’t REALLY offer the good deal first, I come in with too much leg at the beginning so he’s really not going to get more responsive if I keep doing that.
Five days later we went to my first Dressage Regionals ever and qualified for the Nationals in First Level Freestyle! This is a horse I bred and have brought along myself and I’m pretty excited about the whole thing. :crossed_fingers:t3::flushed:

5 Likes

OP I’m so glad to hear you had a good clinic! I could relate to what you said and understand the progress you made, it feels so good when it comes together!

When our trainer friend was getting off the ground the best flag we could find was a car antenna with a silk scarf on it! :lol: We experimented with a lot of things but that particular combination was simply perfect.

Congrats on your progress!

2 Likes