Unlimited access >

Galloping the OTTB

supershorty - I love her expression at 1:04 when you’re loping along and then let her go. She goes from, “This is nice” to “Whee!”

My guy LOVES to gallop and sometimes you can tell he really needs it. Are you close to a beach? That can be a good place to do it.
Personally I don’t think it affects their re-training under saddle if you pick a spot that is separate to the area you normally school.

I have an OTTB who also loves a nice gallop, and I’ve never had an issue with him getting out of control. He obviously was trained from the get-go to listen to the rider, because he comes right back to me when I ask.

Every time I let him gallop, I tell myself that the FIRST time he takes advantage of it is the LAST time I let him do it. But in 6 years, he never has.

I have a very hot mare as well, and once I learned to let her gallop around once or twice a week, she was SO MUCH HAPPIER. Sometimes, I’ll take let her gallop a bit before starting our real “work” for the day, and sometimes I’ll let our “work” be the gallop. The opportunity to blow off steam does wonders for her brain!
Seems like she’s telling you that’s that would help her!

There is a difference between a full out free for all gallop and an controlled forward hand gallop of a canter.

Horses also need to get out of the arena…an outing on a trail will refresh the mind and make them willing to do the work in the ring. Their stride gets bigger and shoulders more free. Hill work, w.t.c. all build the horse in more ways than just fitness, mentally, too.

As an ex-track horse, relaxing is your goal. High octane is not a bad thing.

I would not gallop in a ring on a recently off the track horse. Brakes or not, you are looking to get both of you hurt. I suggest on the buckle walk out on the trails for relaxation, preferably where it is quiet and uphill. That is how I always started horses of the track, they need a little let down mid clearing time before starting the schooling.

[QUOTE=Proffie;8107177]
I have an OTTB who also loves a nice gallop, and I’ve never had an issue with him getting out of control. He obviously was trained from the get-go to listen to the rider, because he comes right back to me when I ask.

Every time I let him gallop, I tell myself that the FIRST time he takes advantage of it is the LAST time I let him do it. But in 6 years, he never has.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, obedience is obedience.

I had people telling me I would teach my horse to stop at fences because I would trot towards them and make him stop several strides away from the base… no, I am teaching him to listen to me and that we don’t always jump just because we are heading towards a jump. That horse never refused, but he did rush… until I started using this as my warm up.