Unlimited access >

Gastrogard/ulcergard generics-any out there?

We’ve had Gastrogard and ulcergard for a long time now and it is still eyewateringly expensive. Is there any progress on reducing the cost? Any ideas? Thanks.

There are a variety of grey market compounds like Abler. There are no licensed by the FDA official generics.

Many of us use Nexium instead with good results.

2 Likes

Just wanted to chime in here and say I’ve also had good results with a Nexium/Sucralfate regime. Still infinitely cheaper than gasto/ulcergard.

3 Likes

Ok, but how much Nexium do you use. The medicine in ulcer/gastro gard is 2.28 grams per syringe. Nexium comes in milligrams. That, by my math, would be 140 20 mg tablets. That’s a lot of mediocre to stick down an unwilling, picky horse’s throat. I notice some say 60 mg. Works but that isn’t a therapeutic dose so how can it? I priced the sucralfate and it appears to be almost as expensive as ulcer/gastro gard. Thanks.

Did you click the link above? It’s all there. Including the research.

4 Likes

Nexium is a different medication from UG and GG so it is not dosed the same. I used the protocol referenced in the article. Additionally, I guess it depends on the size of the horse and how much sucralfate you’re using, but I typically pay $110 for a 100 scoop jar, vs the cost of GG… it’s just not comparable.

2 Likes

You can buy Omeprazole. I dissolve it in a syringe or you can feed it if you trust that your horse will eat it.

Omeprazole needs a buffer or coating to make it through the stomach intact. It’s generally sold OTC with a coating, and if you dissolve that, it’s just going to degrade.

Hitting a therapeutic dose is also usually just about as expensive as gastrogard.

4 Likes

I did but I am stupid when it comes to science and math problems. So I got very confused about grams and milligrams. However, I think I have now have it correct: 40-60 mg per day which is 3 tablets. I, however, am still confused about why the coating has to be kept intact when it is just going from the mouth into the stomach. Isn’t the stomach where I want it to be since the ulcers are in the stomach???

Proton pump inhibitors like Gastrogard or Nexium have to pass through the stomach and into the intestine to be absorbed into the bloodstream. From the bloodstream, they act to shut down the proton pumps in the stomach. The drug doesn’t act on the proton pump directly from the stomach itself.

5 Likes

Thanks. Obviously I was out of class on that day in biology. :slight_smile:

1 Like