Getting back to riding/breeding after long absence and with chronic health issues

I urge you to think about the long term implications of breeding at your age. What if in 10 years, your health or your husband’s health and/finances decline where you cannot care for a farm or you have to leave it. The broodmares now will be older, much less saleable or even needing retiring. It’s lovely to think your foals will find forever homes but we all know the state of the horse sales market. What about any foals who might be unsaleable because of an early pasture injury?
there was a lovely COTH article mentioning a nurse mare rescue in ohio, Last Chance Corral. You could team up with a group such as that to enjoy babies without the long term responsibility.
I can sympathize. I am 62 and my26 year old gelding is likely retired due to injury. I would love to have a new younger horse to ride and compete but what if he or she outlived me or my health/finances. I take seriously the lifetime commitment we need to make to our hprses, if needed.

2 Likes

I would provide for my horses in my will as I always have for any animals I might have. You can die as easily when you’re 20 as when you’re 70.

I see from your recent posts that you have your acreage and are building your barn! Good luck going forward, hope it all works out for you!

1 Like

Thanks Scribbler - Don’t have it quite yet but we’re almost there. Found a 7 acre property with a 54x100 steel barn with a dirt floor and the fields are all in grass hay. Just need some fencing and a couple of stalls to get started.

Oh, so you didn’t go for the place with the soybean fields? This sounds better!

1 Like

We haven’t made an offer yet but it’s the only place I’ve scouted out online where the steel barn does not have a concrete floor. The entire area is 150 acres of gentling rolling hay fields and forest (the owners are selling off 7 acres with house and barn) and two ponds. The seven acres being sold is pretty flat, too.