Unlimited access >

Gluteus minimus tendon tear—update 3/25/2024

That is good to know. I will have to look at that after my MRI on Monday. Thank you. Everything I read talked about dislocations.

Take a look at the literature regarding capsular closure in arthroscopy.

If your MRI is unremarkable, just know that’s one person’s interpretation of the imaging, and that person might be wrong. When I was finally diagnosed, it was off of imaging that was years old, that had been called “normal” by a whole raft of experts. It really wasn’t, and that was really blatantly apparent once I got to someone who had the experience I needed.

This is a very new field of surgery. Knowledge & experience is absolutely not even distributed across the population of surgeons, so when something has gone wrong, it can take a lot of work to find the one person who can actually identify the issue.

I completely understand the MRI thing. The radiologist’s report on both my X-ray and MRI showed no impingement. But my surgeon was able to show me in both where the impingement was. I plan on sending my results to him as well.

Well my results are in…i have tendinopathy of the glute medius and minimus along with the hamstring. degenerative changes to the acetabular cartilage with tiny acetabular osteophytes. Either that or the mechanics of my hip are causing irritation and edema of the bone marrow of the hip joint.
I am waiting for my hip surgeon to review my MRI as well but unless he finds something else or has other suggestions the plan is tenex and PRP depending on the cost.

I thought I would update. Tomorrow starts week 3 post PRP. I am still sore but starting to feel better and less painful. I can actually lay on either side for a few minutes…Whohoo. I have ridden a couple times but damned winter weather (and no indoor) :stuck_out_tongue:. It isn’t because of the hip.

I started physical therapy last Thursday and those exercises are going well. I have started rowing (Concept 2) several days a week. The protocol calls for bike riding but I don’t have one or a gym membership but the doctor said I could row to my hearts content. She does not want a lot of loading on the hip.

I will keep grinding.I am also going to search for someone to look at my gait. I over supinate badly. I have tried custom orthotics (2 different providers and multiple adjustments with each) but so far have not found them to work well for me. I currently have lateral wedges in my shoes which help but both hips have had a hard time dealing with the way I walk (right hip already replaced).

I am hoping the improvement continues from the PRP. I am finally more optimistic. It was quite painful for the first two weeks but things seem to be moving in the right direction and I can already tell I am a bit stronger with the PT exercises.

Susan

3 Likes

UPDATE #2 — I am about 15 weeks out from my PRP into the gluteus minimus and gluteus medius tendons.

I finished formal PT last week. I have had a good improvement. My walking is about 90-95% pain free…even walking up steps or uphill although I have PTSD that the next step will put everything back to square one. The doctor was pleased with the progress. I do still have pain and am unable to lay on either side for very long. She has one more procedure that may help with that called TENEX which apparently cleans up the tendons from all the chronic inflammation. She doesn’t want to do it yet as the PRP may continue to get them to improve. So I will check in with her this summer.

Certainly not a quick fix for this issue but certainly less invasive than surgery…and living somewhere where there are no surgeons that care to deal with that problem. My job now is to keep up the PT exercises :woozy_face:.

I am headed to Iceland in May and being able to walk pain free will be a big plus.

Susan

8 Likes

Update #3…a year later. Made my trip to Iceland May 2023 and was indeed pain free. I did a lot of walking there. Did well over the summer but man, winter was not nice. I started getting hip pain again on movement. Before, it was on weight bearing. The MD that did the Regenexx was 300 miles away and I wasn’t going to try driving that in the winter. Pain was manageable and I was still walking at least a mile a day. However, riding was now painful which it wasn’t pre-PRP.

Well, I went to Hawai’i in February. Walked miles and some on old lava. Boy that takes concentration. The hip really didn’t bother me much on the trip but it has been very unhappy since I got home. Contacted the physiatrist MD in IF again and she wanted a new MRI since the other was a year and a half old.

All I can say is crap…tendon still has a large tear (but no worse) but the joint itself is toast (bone on bone and torn labrum) and only had ‘moderate’ arthritis in 2022. Report said greatly accelerated arthritis from ‘22. I have a follow up with the doc in early April. She may not have anything to offer me. I have to grill her to find out if she can tell me which approach for THA would be best for the torn tendon. I would like to put off a total hip if I can. Caregiver issues for Mom will make post-op complicated but if there aren’t any options for pain relief, I will get it done.

3 Likes

Dang, that stinks! I am sorry to hear your hip has degraded since last year, but sure glad you made it to Iceland and Hawaii. I hope you a constructive conversation with your Doc in April. Good Luck!

Well…physiatrist (MD) says the issues are beyond the help of regenerative therapy. She was surprised with the rapid progression. I don’t have an explanation either. I haven’t had any falls or injuries. My exercise has been walking. I didn’t even ride much this winter. Wet arenas and no indoor. I suspect that HOW I walk (over supination) has just taken a toll over my life.

So, waiting for a referral to a ortho surgeon for replacement and tendon repair. Poop. Oh well. I am hoping I can put it off until Fall at least. I have to figure out coverage for my Mom…and me for a week or two. I am sure the tendon will add some complication to recovery :stuck_out_tongue:.

I am losing weight (10lbs so far :partying_face:) and hitting the non-weight bearing exercise (cycle and rowing). I need to get everything stronger. I can still get on my horse :+1:. I have to do a lot of walk warmup while everything stretches but that is good for the horse too.

We will see.

5 Likes